Vintage Apartments In Bellaire

JHC

I'm interested in learning more about the rather large complex of apartments that existed to the west of Stella Link/Weslayan (and north of Bellaire Blvd.) in the fifties and sixties in/around Academy. I vaguely recall living in one of these apartments when I was about three years old or so back in the mid to late 1950's, before my Mom and Dad moved down Stella Link to Westwood Park in 1958. I'm pretty certain that they were still around, albeit refurbished, in the mid 1970's. They had a unique (and wonderful) architectural style to them (possibly from the 1940's?). I've been away from Houston for many, many years now, but I recently attempted to locate these apartments using Google Maps (Satellite & Street View). It looks like they're all gone now - replaced by 'MacMansions.' Does anyone know the history of these apartments, and why (and when) they disappeared from the Houston (Bellaire) landscape?

Edited by JHC
  • Like 1

Almost all of the 1940s era apartments around Pershing were demolished about 10 years ago. They had been allowed to deteriorate, and many of the vacant buildings became havens for drug deals and gang activity. The neighborhood formed a coalition to purchase the apartments closest to the school, then converted the land into a park. Rising property values took care of the remaining apartments.

Are you talking about the ones that were by Pershing Middle School?

There are still some apartments at Academy and Bellaire near the bowling alley.

This one may be very difficult, because I'm going back roughly fifty years here. Also, I was very young. If my memory serves me correctly, these apartments would have been roughly centered around Riley and Academy Streets - again, north of Bellaire Blvd. and west of Stella Link/Weslayan (just to the north of where Stella Link crosses Bellaire). I would guess that they would have been some of the very earliest apartments built in/around what was then the southwest fringe of Houston. They generally had the appearance of a lot of the military housing I've seen on military installations over the years - a lot of them were single story, duplex style with nice little yards, etc. They most definitely predated all the stuff built in that part of the Houston area from the early sixties forward. I just recall that they were interesting architecturally, and I suspect that they would have been built some time around World War II, if not slightly before or after.

Edited by JHC

The street next to the school is Bluebonnet. I once lived in those

apartments across the street. Around the mid 70's I guess.

I think they were called the Bluebonnet apartments, but I forgot..

I only lived there a few months. and then moved off to better digs.

I remember they had fairly unique windows. Many were corner

windows with metal frames. I guess the 40's sounds about right

as far as the age. Maybe the late 30's, but I doubt any earlier.

They sort of had that "early 40's" look as far as the buildings.

Even in the 70's, they were kind of run down. Cheap dinky

no defrost fridge that was probably made in the late 50's, etc..

Kitchen and bath flooring pretty ratty, etc.. Like I say, I wasn't

there too long. :/

I'm interested in learning more about the rather large complex of apartments that existed to the west of Stella Link/Weslayan (and north of Bellaire Blvd.) in the fifties and sixties in/around Academy. I vaguely recall living in one of these apartments when I was about three years old or so back in the mid to late 1950's, before my Mom and Dad moved down Stella Link to Westwood Park in 1958. I'm pretty certain that they were still around, albeit refurbished, in the mid 1970's. They had a unique (and wonderful) architectural style to them (possibly from the 1940's?). I've been away from Houston for many, many years now, but I recently attempted to locate these apartments using Google Maps (Satellite & Street View). It looks like they're all gone now - replaced by 'MacMansions.' Does anyone know the history of these apartments, and why (and when) they disappeared from the Houston (Bellaire) landscape?

Back in 1964, I live at 4042 Law street in an old style studio apartment at the corner of Law and Academy. it was part of a complex called Montclair Apartments and directly north of what was called and may still be the Montclair Shopping Center. (Back then: Weingardens, Western Auto, etc.) This was at the intersection of Bissonnet and Weslayan. The apartments had green shake siding, hardwood floors and for a few bucks extra you could add window unit A/C's.

At the time the complex was managed by a Mrs Overstreet. Rent was $125 per month all bills paid for our 3 bedroom studio with two A/C's. (No pets!) The pool was across Weslayan directly to the east. Best I recall, the project was leveled way back in the seventies.

I don't know if this could be the one you were referring to, but thought this might be interesting anyway. There are definately "MacMansions" there now, just slightly south of the S/W Freeway.

I think it's called the Blair House at Bellaire and Academy. The other apartments around Pershing and Mark Twain were bought by the neighborhood assoc. and torn down some 15 years ago. Since then, a baseball field, park, YMCA, library and The Alzheimer daycare center have been built. A new fire station is to come, not to mention the two new schools which have already been completed.

That convenience store, formerly Thrifty Liquor has closed. Next door, there are a few apts. of the same era, but I can imagine them staying around much longer. There's an awesome apartment building planned for either Bluebonnet or Bellefontaine, west of Stella. I can find the name right now.

I remember when the last of the apartments were there near Mark Twain - they were in awful condition from my recollection.

The Thrifty Liquor on Stella Link has a neat sign that was still up last time I was in the area.

Braeswood Place Homeowner Association open up a can of Ghetto be Gone - Ba BAM! They were a crime magnet.

I think the sign is still there, but the building is closed. I would expect demo soon.

Back in 1964, I live at 4042 Law street in an old style studio apartment at the corner of Law and Academy. it was part of a complex called Montclair Apartments and directly north of what was called and may still be the Montclair Shopping Center. (Back then: Weingardens, Western Auto, etc.) This was at the intersection of Bissonnet and Weslayan. The apartments had green shake siding, hardwood floors and for a few bucks extra you could add window unit A/C's.

At the time the complex was managed by a Mrs Overstreet. Rent was $125 per month all bills paid for our 3 bedroom studio with two A/C's. (No pets!) The pool was across Weslayan directly to the east. Best I recall, the project was leveled way back in the seventies.

I don't know if this could be the one you were referring to, but thought this might be interesting anyway. There are definately "MacMansions" there now, just slightly south of the S/W Freeway.

Thank you very much, and - yes - that is very interesting, because the name 'Montclair' really brings back some memories. And, going back so many years ago now, I may have confused the Bissonnet & Weslayan intersection with Bellaire & Weslayan. If I'm not mistaken, the Montclair Shopping Center was around way back in the mid to late fifties. I'll check with my Mom over Thanksgiving; she might be able to clarify the location for me, too.

Thanks again!

I remember when the last of the apartments were there near Mark Twain - they were in awful condition from my recollection.

The Thrifty Liquor on Stella Link has a neat sign that was still up last time I was in the area.

I don't think the Thrifty building will be torn down -- there's a big banner touting it for rent. A liquor store would probably do well there. There are two Spec's in the neighborhood, but one is kinda ghetto (Stella Link and Braeswood) and the Greenbriar/Bellaire one is hard to get to unless you are on your way home. Also, most supermarkets have a liquor store nearby, but Whole Foods doesn't.

On the other hand, the Blair House apartments on Bellaire and Academy are doomed. There are slated to be torn down and replaced with yet another upscale development. There are also at least two mid-rise projects scheduled on Bellefontaine between Academy and Stella Link.

• The title was changed to Vintage Apartments In Bellaire