Peruvian songbird Yma Sumac dies at 86

Vertigo58

Had it not been for KUHF I would have missed this one.

I happen to love the old classic mambos of the 40's & 50's and had a compilation CD that had this most unusual sound. I didn't think the human voice could hit such high notes but hell yes she could! :o I really thought on one particular song she had assisted tech sound effects but nope it was really her.

B000002UQS.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpgyma2.jpg

LOS ANGELES (AFP)

The urban myth was that she was from New Jersey, her real name was Amy Camus, and she thought spelling it backward and affecting a Peruvian persona would help her show-biz career.

Regardless, what a voice! I can't help but think that singers such as Lena Lovich and Minnie Ripperton were influenced by her.

The urban myth was that she was from New Jersey, her real name was Amy Camus, and she thought spelling it backward and affecting a Peruvian persona would help her show-biz career.

Regardless, what a voice! I can't help but think that singers such as Lena Lovich and Minnie Ripperton were influenced by her.

Its strange that I had never heard of her until this announcement. I am sure we all must have heard her sound over the decades somewhere, someplace. Now I must hear that one mambo song I have, its starts out with her at a low monotone then slowly progresses to a final climactic, earthshattering tone. Almost have to run out of the room, the kitty did! :lol:

If that is true, one has to wonder how exactly she settled on a Peruvian persona as being the one most likely to advance her career. Nothing against Peru - I know some fine Peruvians - but it just doesn't spring to mind as a show biz natural. Perhaps she thought the market was flooded with Mexican entertainers, or that French had been done to death.

If that is true, one has to wonder how exactly she settled on a Peruvian persona as being the one most likely to advance her career. Nothing against Peru - I know some fine Peruvians - but it just doesn't spring to mind as a show biz natural. Perhaps she thought the market was flooded with Mexican entertainers, or that French had been done to death.

I think I mentioned on haif once but if you ever get a chance to get The Bronze Screen, it's excellent. This DVD not only highlights some of the biggest stars ever it describes the numerous barriers that existed at that time (and still do). I have a good feeling that is why this fine lady had to change her name, etc. In most case if you didn't go with the flow your career ended very abruptly. Buy this, worth every cent.

51Q52W3X3KL._SL500_AA240_.jpg