Biba's is moving

from West Gray to Westheimer.

My wife and I ate there last Friday night and I overheard one of the owners saying they were moving "close to Katz's" on Westheimer. October is the last month on West Gray she said.

I like the feel of that part of West Gray. I'm more fond of real gyros anywhere else...but their kebab style fare is actually good. So are the fries.

It's cool to step out of Biba's and there's action and commotion over at PJ's and Cecil's Pub to the left and then there's Byzantio to the right. It's cool that two 24 hour diners are close together there on West Gray. I really enjoy the converted houses-as-diners/bars vibe there.

It should be interesting to see Biba's on Lower Westheimer but I personally prefer that they stay on West Gray. But West Gray Cafe will now be the lone stalwart of late night food on that street.

I like their location on West Gray so it is kind of sad, but at the same time I have high hopes that they will torpedo all of Katz's business and send them to the bottom of the ocean.

Get out of my city, Katz!

Edit: And oh yeah, when the hurricane blew out the power for all of Montrose for a week, I snickered when driving past completely dark Katz's when I thought back to their terrible "I can't help it I gotta tell ya, KATZ'S NEVER CLOSES!"

I bet they regret not installing locks on the door now!

I like their location on West Gray so it is kind of sad, but at the same time I have high hopes that they will torpedo all of Katz's business and send them to the bottom of the ocean.

Get out of my city, Katz!

Edit: And oh yeah, when the hurricane blew out the power for all of Montrose for a week, I snickered when driving past completely dark Katz's when I thought back to their terrible "I can't help it I gotta tell ya, KATZ'S NEVER CLOSES!"

I bet they regret not installing locks on the door now!

What's your beef with Katz's?

Well let's see, there is their faux-New York authenticity for an operation based out of Austin, there is the fact that they are ripping off the name of a famous (and the oldest, founded in 1888) New York-deli and hyping how they are New York-style (yeah okay, the owner's name is Marc Katz, but STILL, that's shady imo). There's the fact that they are overpriced, yes, even for a New York deli. The prices are about what you would expect to pay in New York for a sandwich, yet you are minus actually being in New York, as well as the fact that the sandwiches, while big, are still not the size of those served in the legendary New York delis that have earned the right to charge those prices.

On top of that, they soak you on everything. Drinks, sides, everything. Katz's is an abomination on the Houston late-night scene, and the sooner Biba's, House of Pies, Late Night Pie, West Gray Cafe, Spanish Flowers and all the other late-night restaurants destroy them the better.

What kind of New York deli doesn't have a deli counter where you can order the sandwich and go? No New York deli. You want a good deli? Go to Kahn's in Rice Village. Hell, even Kenny & Ziggy's is better than Katz's.

call me crazy, but if you don't like a business, just don't go.

but that's just me.

I donlt freaquent the place, but i don't wish them ill.

Well I'm not exactly picketing them every day or something! I do wish them ill, though. Get your chain restaurant out of my Montrose!

That's the place my boss took me during my job interview. There was crusty bits (egg?) stuck to the silverware and I had to ask for a new set. I still took the job, but never went back to the restaurant.

I would forgive them that as long as they serve the spinach calzone. :wub:

Well let's see, there is their faux-New York authenticity for an operation based out of Austin, there is the fact that they are ripping off the name of a famous (and the oldest, founded in 1888) New York-deli and hyping how they are New York-style (yeah okay, the owner's name is Marc Katz, but STILL, that's shady imo). There's the fact that they are overpriced, yes, even for a New York deli. The prices are about what you would expect to pay in New York for a sandwich, yet you are minus actually being in New York, as well as the fact that the sandwiches, while big, are still not the size of those served in the legendary New York delis that have earned the right to charge those prices.

On top of that, they soak you on everything. Drinks, sides, everything.

So... you hate the name, and the prices. Have you considered not going there?

I don't get how someone using his family name is shady, you'll have to explain that a little more thoroughly. (You know that Guggenheim isn't just a deli in Uptown, right?)

I'm not so sure about not being able to get stuff to go. I've gotten things to go there before. Maybe their policy changed since then.

Katz's is an abomination on the Houston late-night scene, and the sooner Biba's, House of Pies, Late Night Pie, West Gray Cafe, Spanish Flowers and all the other late-night restaurants destroy them the better.

Well, it's been at least seven years, so don't hold your breath. But you're right -- we should get rid of all the the places in Montrose that aren't local. Who needs choice? Make everyone eat what you want them to! And while we're at it, might as well close that Texas Art Supply store because it's a chain. And the Taco Cabana. Oh, and the MFA/H since all the art in there is from Europe! We don't need foreign art -- we should only have Montrose art! The sooner Fred's Round-the-Corner Art Gallery and Hash Shop puts MFA/H out of business, the better.

Oh, and I was born and raised in New York. The Houston Katz's isn't that bad, and the New York joints aren't as good as you remember.

So... you hate the name, and the prices. Have you considered not going there?

Yes, and I rarely do. Also the food is mediocre which just makes the price all the more offensive.

I don't get how someone using his family name is shady, you'll have to explain that a little more thoroughly.

With all the New York branding and etc. he's clearly trying to exploit the name imo, but if you disagree, well that's alright with me.

I'm not so sure about not being able to get stuff to go. I've gotten things to go there before. Maybe their policy changed since then.

You can get things to go, but its a real pain and takes too long, and certainly not deli-counter style as it should be.

Well, it's been at least seven years, so don't hold your breath. But you're right -- we should get rid of all the the places in Montrose that aren't local. Who needs choice? Make everyone eat what you want them to!

Uhh, I'm not smashing their windows or anything! I'm just wishing for them to fail. You realize this wishing has no actual effect, right??

And while we're at it, might as well close that Texas Art Supply store because it's a chain. And the Taco Cabana.

The sooner the Taco Cabana closes the better, Texas Art Supply is awesome and gets a pass for being a chain imo.

Oh, and the MFA/H since all the art in there is from Europe! We don't need foreign art -- we should only have Montrose art! The sooner Fred's Round-the-Corner Art Gallery and Hash Shop puts MFA/H out of business, the better.

Now you're just being silly!

Oh, and I was born and raised in New York. The Houston Katz's isn't that bad, and the New York joints aren't as good as you remember.

Katz's sucks.

Best part about Biba's is that crazy waiter, I think his name is John. That guy's got some real personality.

Ummmm, back to Biba's. Maybe they're going to occupy a space in that newish strip center. I've heard that a couple of businesses are pulling out because of rent increases - like that Jap place. I can't rememeber the name.

from West Gray to Westheimer.

My wife and I ate there last Friday night and I overheard one of the owners saying they were moving "close to Katz's" on Westheimer. October is the last month on West Gray she said.

I like the feel of that part of West Gray. I'm more fond of real gyros anywhere else...but their kebab style fare is actually good. So are the fries.

It's cool to step out of Biba's and there's action and commotion over at PJ's and Cecil's Pub to the left and then there's Byzantio to the right. It's cool that two 24 hour diners are close together there on West Gray. I really enjoy the converted houses-as-diners/bars vibe there.

It should be interesting to see Biba's on Lower Westheimer but I personally prefer that they stay on West Gray. But West Gray Cafe will now be the lone stalwart of late night food on that street.

A shame to see it moving. Now my memories of it as one of my late night spots in that location when I was young and single in the late 90s-early 00s don't have it as a landmark anymore. What's next, West Gray Cafe moving?

On top of that, they soak you on everything. Drinks, sides, everything. Katz's is an abomination on the Houston late-night scene, and the sooner Biba's, House of Pies, Late Night Pie, West Gray Cafe, Spanish Flowers and all the other late-night restaurants destroy them the better.

What kind of New York deli doesn't have a deli counter where you can order the sandwich and go? No New York deli. You want a good deli? Go to Kahn's in Rice Village. Hell, even Kenny & Ziggy's is better than Katz's.

Wow, that's some beef you have with them. If you don't like them, that's cool, but I don't think they are hurting anyone and they fill a niche for some. Sure their "faux-New York authenticity" is a little hoaky, a little manufactured, but my 10 year old stepson thinks NEw York is the most exciting place in the world, so he likes to pretend he is there when we go to Katz's, which is why he asks us to take him there. It's cheesy, but fun. The sandwiches may not be in New York, and they may be SLIGHTLY smaller than the ones in New York, so maybe people who like my stepson want to pretend they are in New York are willing to pay extra for the ambiance (or, their stepdads are willing to pay more to indulge them). It's their choice. If KAtz's were that bad, if its prices were out of line, it would go out of business.

Saying they are ripping off the name of the original Katz's in New York is a bit of an overstatement. Not only does Marc Katz have a legitimate right to call his restaurant "Katz's" because his name happens to be the same as the original in New York, he has further right because he is actually a member of the Katz family that founded the original deli. It's a very common thing in the restaurant industry for a prodigal son of an established restaurant to set out on his own and found a restaurant with a similar name elsewhere. Kuby's german restaurant, meat market, and imported food store in Dallas is a landmark, as well as a second home to many SMU students and teachers. Yet, it is not the original Kuby's. The original Kuby's was founded in the 1700s in Germany (and is still in business) by the Dallas owner's great (multiple times) grandfather. That doesn't make the Dallas Kuby's any less legitimate. It may not be Germany, but in the case of KAtz's I think being in Texas is far enough from New York for it to be considered not competing.

I've also eaten at the original in NYC, sat right next to the table where "When Harry Met Sally"'s most famous scene was filmed, and can tell you that you are overstating the quality of the food there - it is not so transcendentally better than Katz's in Montrose.

Ummm, you can order anything on the katz's menu to go from the front counter (where the cakes are displayed.)

• 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Biba's is moving

Archived