Google Chrome

Operating systems have become very boring. I haven't been excited about an OS since VMS died.

I LOVE my Mac OS!

I wanna see a desktop OS from them. Anyone think in 10-15 yrs, they could be another Microsoft. We could be bitchin' about Google in 10yrs like we have about Microsoft now.

Maybe, but their corporate motto is Don't Be Evil, so maybe they will be kinder and gentler to their peers and competitors, and maybe, just maybe, they will build decent software.

Operating systems have become very boring. I haven't been excited about an OS since VMS died.

I haven't been excited about an OS since Pr1meOS.

I've heard this too. I am so torn. I want to get a small footprint Linux laptop (think Asus eeePC or the new Dell mini), but Xandros (Linux) is weird and I do NOT like Vista. I have Ubuntu installed on VirtualBox on my Mac but rarely go into it because it is seems odd to run on OS inside of another OS. I also run Vista this way when I do not feel like shutting down and running Bootcamp.

A Google OS is very intriguing.

Sorry for my Linux ignorance, but is there a reason you can't install Ubuntu on an eeePC? I really don't know how these things work, but I always thought that if you had two boxes that run Windows they can both also run the same flavors of Linux.

I haven't been excited about an OS since Pr1meOS.

Sorry for my Linux ignorance, but is there a reason you can't install Ubuntu on an eeePC? I really don't know how these things work, but I always thought that if you had two boxes that run Windows they can both also run the same flavors of Linux.

Oh my gosh no ... Linux is a pain to install. I did it on my Mac, but next PC I want it pre-installed.

Oh my gosh no ... Linux is a pain to install. I did it on my Mac, but next PC I want it pre-installed.

I think that depends on which Linux flavor you're talking about. I installed Debian on my network storage device with two command lines, and I remember Slackware was very easy the last time I put it on a PC.

I think that depends on which Linux flavor you're talking about. I installed Debian on my network storage device with two command lines, and I remember Slackware was very easy the last time I put it on a PC.

Im not sure if Ubuntu is a "flavor" or not - but it's extremely easy to install - and uninstall...works great on my Sony laptop

Im not sure if Ubuntu is a "flavor" or not - but it's extremely easy to install - and uninstall...works great on my Sony laptop

That's the version I have on my Mac. It was easy-enough to install, but learning how the innards is odd. I could not install something because I didn't have high enough privileges and had to Google giving myself super user powers. It was not something the lay person (say my mother) would understand.

I still say Unix/Linux is great, but it is not for the everyday user.

Whatever you say about Apple, they have made their Unix (BSD I believe) unbelievably easy to work with because honestly you never have to mess around with command lines.

• 2 weeks later...
At the rate Google is growing, they might come out with their own OS in a couple of years...lol!

Actually, their "Android" OS came out today. It is installed on a new smartphone that is part of T-Mobile.

I am not impressed by Chrome. It reminds me a lot of a browser called Opera, which I prefer. For compatibility reasons however I use IE and Firefox the most.

Archived