The Boot At 1206 W. 20th St.

20thStDad

I've driven by Shady Tavern a ton of times, and I always want to stop, it just looks like a place I would dig. Well, not in August, but in months where being outside is ok. I love drinking outside, and I could easily walk there and stumble home...but alas, just by appearance it isn't my wife's kind of place. And something about having a baby means I don't get to bars much, but I was just wondering what others' experiences/opinions are of the place.

I'll preface this reply by saying I'm extremely biased, but I have no financial stake. The Shady is a hidden Houston treasure. Over the past couple of years, my wife and I have become part of the Shady "family." The "regulars" are a great group of genuine people and once they start to recognize you they welcome you into the fold. It is a great example of a neighborhood bar.

If you're looking for the trendy spot or fancy beers or women in skimpy outfits, then it isn't what you want. If, however, you want a cold beer and good converstation, then I can not recommend it more. It is an ice-house and that's about it. Sundays during football season are the best. They don't serve food, but on Sundays someone is usually cooking something on the smoke pit in the back or the gas grill up front. Today, for example, a couple folks did a rack of spare ribs and a brisket.

Like I said, I'm biased. As for kids, I will not have any hesitation to stop by with my daughter, once she is born. Of course, I won't spend the afternoon up there with her, but I will be more comfortable with her there than many other public places. Dogs are also welcome. The Shady has a big enclosed back yard that extends all the way to 19th street. A couple of the bartenders usually have their dogs up their during their shift.

Hope that helps.

P.S. I'm also one of the organizers of the No Holds Barred Chili Cook-Off. www.nhbchili.com We started it last year to celebrate a couple birthdays on October 12th. This year it is October 11th.

I'll preface this reply by saying I'm extremely biased, but I have no financial stake. The Shady is a hidden Houston treasure. Over the past couple of years, my wife and I have become part of the Shady "family." The "regulars" are a great group of genuine people and once they start to recognize you they welcome you into the fold. It is a great example of a neighborhood bar.

If you're looking for the trendy spot or fancy beers or women in skimpy outfits, then it isn't what you want. If, however, you want a cold beer and good converstation, then I can not recommend it more. It is an ice-house and that's about it. Sundays during football season are the best. They don't serve food, but on Sundays someone is usually cooking something on the smoke pit in the back or the gas grill up front. Today, for example, a couple folks did a rack of spare ribs and a brisket.

Like I said, I'm biased. As for kids, I will not have any hesitation to stop by with my daughter, once she is born. Of course, I won't spend the afternoon up there with her, but I will be more comfortable with her there than many other public places. Dogs are also welcome. The Shady has a big enclosed back yard that extends all the way to 19th street. A couple of the bartenders usually have their dogs up their during their shift.

Hope that helps.

P.S. I'm also one of the organizers of the No Holds Barred Chili Cook-Off. www.nhbchili.com We started it last year to celebrate a couple birthdays on October 12th. This year it is October 11th.

Sounds awesome to me...I'm going to do my best to make it there once the weather cools down. I'm generally anti-trendy, down with the neighborhood feel, but the only thing holding me back right now is my inability to take the heat.

You mentioned people cooking - do you mean they just bring their own stuff, and there is a place to cook it?

You mentioned people cooking - do you mean they just bring their own stuff, and there is a place to cook it?

Yes. There is a big smoker for long, slow cooking and a gas grill for the quick stuff. For the pit, people bring their own charcoal/wood. The gas grill usually has propane, but people fill it up if it runs out when they are using or need to use it.

on a saturday before dinner-ish, could you go have a beer with a toddler in tow?

I can't see why not. I would note that from 2-5 on Saturdays they have live music and it brings a different crowd. It is called Secret Saturday Shows due to the fact that they never announce what bands are playing. I've seen toddlers at a couple of shows, but sometimes it gets really loud. That said, the music and crowd are both gone by 5:30 and it is back to Texas music from the juke box.

Maybe I'm a yuppie but that place looks like s*** :o Every time I go by I think who hangs out there? Its literally just a backyard next to a run down S.A. shack.

I remember one afternoon I was going by and there were 2-3 old men sitting down having a drink and then some young kids banging a metal pole against a tree (for what looked to be no reason at all). Not my idea of a "good night out" :blink:

Someone please correct me because I am naive. Do they have liquor license? Anything besides miller and coors bottles? Whats the demographic typically?

I'm gonna go with not yuppie. Some of us just love drinking outside, possibly without shoes on. And we aren't yuppies (still haven't been there yet, but planning to).

Thats a good thing, because I dont think I am...but I certainly felt like it making that post :lol:

Just judging by the upkeep of that backyard, it looks like it might attract some rough dudes. Primarily vagrants was the demographic I expected. Still trying to decipher what the place offers different than our own Height's backyards... besides potential DANGER!!!

Try it during the week and you might get more of a feel for the regular crowd verses the weekend crowd. The Shady was there before the neighborhood started changing and it has reluctantly changed along with the demographics. I remember about 5-6 years ago when the owner finally gave in and started accepting credit cards. He didn't want to invest in the place too much because he wasn't sure that it would pay back but decided to add on the room in the back to be able to host parties. Since then the immediate area has taken off and he has opened up the side and started getting the bands in there and charging a cover on Saturdays. The original place was just the little building up front where the bar is located and had the 2 garage doors that opened up the front to the street. They serve just beer and wine. Regarding the crowd, we don't hang out there as much anymore so I'm not up on the current regulars, but I always enjoyed the trips to the Shady because you never knew what the crowd might be. And yes you can take children up there as long as they are outside or in the back room. More importantly, you can take your dogs with you if you want. Regarding a rough crowd, I don't know that I"ve ever been there where the crowd was anything other than the normal mix of people that you find in the Heights - or on HAIF.

Someone please correct me because I am naive. Do they have liquor license? Anything besides miller and coors bottles? Whats the demographic typically?

No liguor license, but it is BYOB and they serve set-ups. And yes, they have other bottled beers. As for the demographic, I'm not sure what information you're looking for, race? income? age?. I wouldn't be able to answer that since those aren't part of the metrics I use in deciding if I enjoy an establishment. It is arguably more "yuppie" than "vagrant" and there is nothing dangerous about the place. The main thing it offers different from my backyard is that it isn't my backyard. Sometimes it is nice to get out and still avoid crowds, lines and pretension.

Also, my fellow Aggie above mentioned cover on Saturdays, but that isn't accurate. The Secret Saturday Shows are free. In early August they did a 2 day festival and did charge cover. The Saturday and Sunday crowd's are totally different. Those there for the shows on Saturday are punk/hipster types. The Sunday crowd is more Texas Hill Country. Beneath the shade of the giant trees it is easy to forget that you're in Houston.

Come Meet Your Neighbors!

at the fall social

Shady Tavern

1206 W 20th St

Houston, TX

(713) 869-7000‎

Saturday, September 27 at 7 pm until closing.

Pot luck is encouraged. Do not bring alcohol. Beer and wine will be available for sale.

All Shady Acres residents and friends are invited! Friendly dogs welcome

http://www.shadyacres.org

• The title was changed to The Boot At 1206 W. 20th St.

Archived