Pete's BBQ - Telephone Rd.

Had lunch yesterday at Pete's BBQ on Telephone - was hoping to try Mandola's, but it never seems to be open when I'm in the neighborhood. The sliced beef sandwich I had was really good, with a generous portion of moist, flavorful meat with a decent smoke ring.

Any longtime East Enders know what used to occupy this location (I'm guessing it was another restaurant)? It's pretty apparent from looking at the sign that it was repurposed, but I couldn't figure out what it might have formerly depicted. I believe the owner said they'd been in business as Pete's there for twenty-something years.

Had lunch yesterday at Pete's BBQ on Telephone - was hoping to try Mandola's, but it never seems to be open when I'm in the neighborhood. The sliced beef sandwich I had was really good, with a generous portion of moist, flavorful meat with a decent smoke ring.

Any longtime East Enders know what used to occupy this location (I'm guessing it was another restaurant)? It's pretty apparent from looking at the sign that it was repurposed, but I couldn't figure out what it might have formerly depicted. I believe the owner said they'd been in business as Pete's there for twenty-something years.

Its a true miracle that place is still in business. Never seems to have a big crowd as it once did in the late 70's. Its funny that it is so central and could be a real hot spot but the DO NOT ADVERTISE in a modern sense. Cars just flash by since its on a quick corner to fly by making also hard to turn in without causing a pile up. :o

The bar next door has been a local lizard lounge as old as Telephone road itself. Now that place is true Houston history wether we like it or not. It is a throw back to the olden days of our city. Everyone used to know each other and everyones beezwax in the neighborhood (or so they thought so). Ja. It was called Big Louie's in the early 80's then became Rustin's and most of the old timers have since passed on.

but back to the Pete's they deserve an award for hanging on to what we all remember of this immediate area a place where you meet and eat with old friends.

Edited by Vertigo58

• The title was changed to Pete's BBQ - Telephone Rd.