Where Would The Woodlands Expand, If It Does?

kzseattle

Does anyone know if Woodlands has plans for expansion? If so, in which direction would it most likely expand?

Looking at the map, I see most of the empty land is to the west and southwest of Woodlands. Ideally, I hope it stays pristine. However, if someone is going to build housing subdivisions over there, then I hope it's Woodlands.

Hey kz, The Woodlands has not crossed 1488, but I expect them to. They have crossed 242 northward, so I guess if there is any room past that they will continue to grow in that direction? Ya gotta wonder when it all runs out, what next?

(The Woodlands has announced that Creekside Park is their last village, but bleow is an article that could point to other "Woodlands-like" development in the future.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HoustonChronicle.com -- http://www.HoustonChronicle.com | Section: Ralph Bivins: Real Estate

Woodlands 'string of pearls' dream not dead

By RALPH BIVINS,October 2003, Houston Chronicle

George Mitchell is a man of gigantic vision and ambitious dreams. In the early 1970s, he looked at dense forests in Montgomery County and envisioned The Woodlands. Homebuilding began in 1974. It now has a population of 75,000 and more than 20,000 single-family homes, along with shopping centers and office buildings.

The 27,000-acre project has been copied by developers around the world. Mitchell's mantra of "retain the trees" made the community popular and beautiful.

The Woodlands portion of Mitchell's vision is well known.

But his grander scheme was even more fantastic. Mitchell, now 84 years old, wasn't satisfied with creating a single city.

The overall plan was to create a "string of pearls" -- a series of large communities stretching across southern Montgomery County. Mitchell purchased more than 30,000 acres for the additional communities that would complement The Woodlands.

Things didn't turn out that way. The Woodlands was sold more than five years ago. And the community continued to be successful without Mitchell at the helm.

The "string of pearls" vision was forgotten by most folks. But it is not dead, said Roger Galatas, who formerly headed up The Woodlands and was Mitchell's top realty executive.

The Woodard Ranch, one of the gems in the "string of pearls," may be sold to become a master-planned community development like The Woodlands, Galatas said.

The 6,634-acre ranch, off FM 1486 about 10 miles northwest of The Woodlands, is being evaluated for its potential for home sales and marketing by Galatas, a realty consultant.

With all of the growth in southern Montgomery County, development of the ranch, owned by Larry Woodard, might make a lot of sense, Galatas said. That would mean at least a part of Mitchell's "string of pearls" vision wasn't just a pipe dream.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HoustonChronicle.com -- http://www.HoustonChronicle.com | Section: Ralph Bivins: Real Estate

This article is: http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/b.../bivins/2148884

(The Woodlands has announced that Creekside Park is their last village, but bleow is an article that could point to other "Woodlands-like" development in the future.)

The 6,634-acre ranch, off FM 1486 about 10 miles northwest of The Woodlands, is being evaluated for its potential for home sales and marketing by Galatas, a realty consultant.

This article is: http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/b.../bivins/2148884

This artilce is nearly two year old. What ever happened with this development. My first response is: "10 miles further our than the Woodlands. Are they crazy?"

I think the Woodlands is already too far. But if you work in that part of town I assume there is still a need or desire for new construction.

The Woodlands owns over 3000 acres that straddles Kuykendahl Road just south of Spring Creek in Harris County.

The southern boundary is the Augusta Pines Development. Gosling road is on the east side.

The northern portion of the development will be a golf course which is currently under construction. Many of the homes that surround the course will be .25 acres to over an acre. The south eastern portion near Gosling Road is finished the design phase and being prepared to go to reviews with the county and the city of Houston. South eastern portion will be primarily smaller single family residention nestled around a large man made lake. Several other lakes are also planned. Besides as an amenity, the lakes will provide flood control and storm water quality management.

The drainage study is being finshed to be handed over to Harris County Flood Control. The development will take approximately 10 to 15 years to completely develope. It should be entirely finished in 20 years.

Also, Kuykendahl road will be widened to 4 lanes under the Woodlands' higher standard than the County's. Eventually another bridge will be built across Spring Creek for Kuykendahl also.

The northern portion of the development will be a golf course which is currently under construction. Many of the homes that surround the course will be .25 acres to over an acre. The south eastern portion near Gosling Road is finished the design phase and being prepared to go to reviews with the county and the city of Houston. South eastern portion will be primarily smaller single family residention nestled around a large man made lake. Several other lakes are also planned. Besides as an amenity, the lakes will provide flood control and storm water quality management.

The drainage study is being finshed to be handed over to Harris County Flood Control. The development will take approximately 10 to 15 years to completely develope. It should be entirely finished in 20 years.

And, is all that you speak of here, going to be part of Creekside Park?

Creekside Park the development or Creekside Park the park. These are two different things by the Woodlands.

The golf couse is part of the development and is private. Creekside Park is a name given for the general area. The area with the golf course and large homes will get a more definitive name of Carlton Woods at Creekside Park.

I don't know what the final names for the lower southeastern portions will be.

The Woodlands will often change the name after the plat has been approved and the neighborhood is under construction.

Creekside Park the development or Creekside Park the park.  These are two different things by the Woodlands.

The golf couse is part of the development and is private.  Creekside Park is a name given for the general area.  The area with the golf course and large homes will get a more definitive name of Carlton Woods at Creekside Park.

I don't know what the final names for the lower southeastern portions will be.

The Woodlands will often change the name after the plat has been approved and the neighborhood is under construction.

Last time I was there, I noticed a road that connects Kuykendahl Road with Branch Crossing in Sterling Ridge village near the southwest corner of Woodlands. This road goes through wooded land that is not property of Woodlands. It is pretty rural and I noticed a few large ranch-style properties of about 5 acres. One of the properties is even for sale. Any idea what might goes there? I hope someone doesnt build a car lot or strip mall! However, the area is so far out that I doubt it would be used for commercial purpose. The area is so lush and forrested that I would hate to see it used for things like that. Most likely, it could eventually become a residential area. However, it is right in the backyard of Woodlands so I was thinking that perhaps Woodlands would expand there as well.

BTW, does Woodlands has a buffer around its perimeter to protect the property values of homes at its edges? After all, one reason Woodlands is expensive is that it lets people live in a natural, wooded ambiance. For now, much of the land around it is empty and wooded. However, if someone decides to setup a junk yard or a warehouse or an industrial plant just behind someone's backyard, then good luck to those who would be living near them!

They should build a moat. That would be sweet! :D

No kidding! :D

Well, nothing that fancy I meant. Perhaps a few feets of wooded reserve or something so if some developer comes along with a mission to cut off all them trees, at least there would be some left. After all, not many developers commit themselve to preserve those things.

First, the Woodlands require a buffer on all of there edge communities. Evertime they develop a litte more they ensure a buffter. It's just part of their self imposed rules.

The Woodlands Operating Company, LLC never plans on the Woodlands being annexed and would prefer all issues being handled through them and the MUD boards. If any annexation would occure, the Woodlands would try to incorporate itselft. This would mean that the wouldlands would have to run a police and fire department. Right now they get this service from Montgomery County, they don't want to add these services themselves.

Remember, in the end the Woodlands is a large business venture. They don't really want to go the way Kingwood has gone.

Maybe in 20 years when they have finished the project completely, they may consider handing themselves over. But if there is some untapped land, they'll try to keep the business going by trying to develop it. The recent surge in their town center is to elevate the available shopping amenities and make the Woodlands also a commercial center for shopping and office space. The more this gets moving the more likely the Woodlands can keep developing residential.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I don't want The Woodlands to expand any further north or west. West is too far from the freeway and not north because I don't want to be called The Woodlands/Conroe. That is so annoying.

Once Creekside is done, I have a feeling that there will be another village announced. It only makes sense to continue building to accomodate all the growth. People want to live in The Woodlands. If that means that they go around Agusta Pines or something, then so be it.

when the woodlands becomes its own city, it will be interesting to see if it exercises annexation powers. go figure. ;)

Yeah...when is the right word. I can't wait either. Houston is great and all, but I see what happened to Kingwood and I sure as hell don't want Conroe coming in. The Woodlands name would go right down the #$%.er

ain't gonna happen. the woodlands has clout in the state legislature. why else would houston's mayor come to the bargaining table. houston is big and nationally significant, but the woodlands has more political clout than the city of houston. sad but true.

ain't gonna happen. the woodlands has clout in the state legislature. why else would houston's mayor come to the bargaining table. houston is big and nationally significant, but the woodlands has more political clout than the city of houston. sad but true.

Post of the Day!

bachanon, we all humor you when you drink your Woodlands kool-aid, but sometimes you overdose on it. This is one of those times.

I don't want The Woodlands to expand any further north or west. West is too far from the freeway and not north because I don't want to be called The Woodlands/Conroe. That is so annoying.

Once Creekside is done, I have a feeling that there will be another village announced. It only makes sense to continue building to accomodate all the growth. People want to live in The Woodlands. If that means that they go around Agusta Pines or something, then so be it.

Even if The Woodlands does not expand, that does not mean that the raw land would sit undeveloped in perpetuity. It'd just be developed under someone else's name.

Even if The Woodlands does not expand, that does not mean that the raw land would sit undeveloped in perpetuity. It'd just be developed under someone else's name.

Well, it becomes a commute issue as well. Though The Woodlands does have quite a bit of office space, most people in S. County work in Houston.

Well, it becomes a commute issue as well. Though The Woodlands does have quite a bit of office space, most people in S. County work in Houston.

But where is the new job growth occuring that will support these new residents? A little bit is downtown or TMC, but from a regional perspective, the majority is out in the burbs, where the best educated and most affluent people are.

That is why the Woodlands Parkway should have been a freeway. They could have kept the trees and planted more around the freeway. Development in TW is getting farther and farther west. I bet commuting east on Woodlands Parkway is hell in the morning. Out here in Katy, we have the Grand Parkway (which acts like South Katy's own freeway for now). This is what the Woodlands Parkway should look like.

I have disagreed before about Woodlands Pkwy being a freeway. The master plan has a provision for a freeway closeby. If the distance and time is too much to I45, then the residents should not have bought there. When the Grand Pkwy is built, 2978 will be its access from the North. We will see it expanded. This type of growth is typical in Texas. Woodlands Pkwy is unfortunately used to move building materials and contractors. So is Gosling, 2978 and 242. The traffic is not equivalent to the final patterns. There is still growth to fill the volume gap, but the mix of vehicle types will be different in the future. Planners do not plan on maximum traffic in the development stage but for the predicted traffic volume in later stages. Cost is minimized to build just after the need is realized, not before. ...unfortunately...

• The title was changed to Where Would The Woodlands Expand, If It Does?

Archived