Ear Wax

lockmat

I have a problem too. I can get out huge, disgusting blobs and red stains via kleenex...and sometimes my cat will lick the earwax right off my finger if I tempt her. It's fun, until she starts to nip at my finger.

Ed? You need a sick Smiley.

Hot showers help. The steam helps to soften the wax and will make it easier to wash it out. I have a pulsating shower head (low flow) which I direct at the side of the face around the ear but not trying to direct the pulsating stream up into the ear. The vibration and splashing action helps to wash out the softened wax.

According to my doc I have very narrow and crooked ear canals. I had troubles for years, had to make several visits to clinics to get my ears flushed, occasional earaches of both the bacterial and fungal variety but I almost never have problems any more.

Occasionally, maybe once a year, I have to use an ear syringe, available at any drug store in several sizes. Never use hot or cold water, only lukewarm. Either extreme can upset your equilibrium and you could fall, not generally a good idea in the bathroom.

Debrox, olive oil and hydrogen peroxide never did squat for me. Also, the tip of the small finger is more effective than a Q-tip and safer, since it

• 1 month later...

I think some people have more of a build up than others. I'm a once a month man with a q-tip and all appears to be working well.

Also, did you know there was a band called the Q Tips in the 80's in the UK. Their singer was Paul Young who went onto have loads of solo hits, 'Where ever I Lay My Hat' and 'Come Back And Stay'.

Just thought I would throw that bit of trivia in!

I think some people have more of a build up than others. I'm a once a month man with a q-tip and all appears to be working well.

Also, did you know there was a band called the Q Tips in the 80's in the UK. Their singer was Paul Young who went onto have loads of solo hits, 'Where ever I Lay My Hat' and 'Come Back And Stay'.

Just thought I would throw that bit of trivia in!

There is also a Q-Tip the rapper out of Queens, NY.

They make ear wax candles that help the ear wax out. They really work. I am trying to locate the brand on the internet as we speak. *HOLD*

http://healing.about.com/od/earcandling/ig...?once=true&

Wally's natural products makes them. here is a site that sells them, not Wally's brand but look the same.

http://www.betterthangreens.com/Product.as...source=googleps

I have tried those candles and they don't work (for me anyway)

and this is not favorable:

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelate...s/candling.html

I use the ear syringes about once a quarter. It is a drag when you have ear wax plugging up your ears.

what? WHAT???

I agree they don't work for some. They did work for me and a couple of friends, a buddy and his wife that turned me on to it.

• 1 month later...
Can't believe that no one has mentioned Hydrogen Peroxide. While I am generally a let earwax be sort of guy, occasionally it does build up to the point of interfering with my hearing. On those occasions, I drip hydrogen peroxide into my ear while laying on my side. It gets very loud with the fizziness. After awhile, the fizz subsides, and I sit up to let the wax and peroxide drain out.

It is actually quite fun, kind of like listen to a big conch shell. :D

My Mom use to do that to us as little kids. I always had ear problems (I guess cuz they are dumbo sized), and my mom did that to us once a month or so. Put a cotton ball on the opening of the bottle, lay down sideways, and let it fizzle. When doing the reverse side, it should be noted to put a paper towel or wash cloth inbetween your ear & couch.

I had to go to the doctor's once in a blue moon to get the water filtered thing done. When I looked at the pan full of my ear wax, it looked like pieces of bread that had been soaking a while! Gross.. I didn't eat bread for a few days after those visits.

Some people have to worry about this more than others...I have never had ear issues, but my sister always did (narrow ear canals i think). Those are the folks that need to put the chemicals in the ears.

And yeah, q-tips (yay for proprietary eponyms - what's a generic name for them?) just push stuff into the ear - should only be used on the exterior.

and ps - very lovely topic :rolleyes::lol:

Cotton buds. Both are "FDA-approved".

Archived