Best Breakfast

I'm hungry again......Where are some of the best places to eat breakfast?

i go to Telwink & Dot's Coffee Shop often. I would put Frank's in the same category however most of the time the line is out the door because of lack of space.

IHOP and Denny's fans should stay away from this forum!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm hungry again......Where are some of the best places to eat breakfast?

i go to Telwink & Dot's Coffee Shop often.  I would put Frank's in the same category however most of the time the line is out the door because of lack of space.

IHOP and Denny's fans should stay away from this forum!

Is Frank's that real retro looking place on Telephone? I have wondered if that was any good.

I usually end up at W. Gray cafe, not because it is so outstanding, but it is cheap and I can always get in there on a weekend. I usually have a low tolerance for lines in the mornning.

Katz's has a good special if you get there before 10:00. Otherwise it is kind of pricey. Lankford Grocery has a good one, and Barnaby's has a $5 special, (neither of those options include pancakes though). Best mexican breakfast goes to Teotijuacan on Cavalcade and Irvington.

Is Frank's that real retro looking place on Telephone?  I have wondered if that was any good.

I usually end up at W. Gray cafe, not because it is so outstanding, but it is cheap and I can always get in there on a weekend.  I usually have a low tolerance for lines in the mornning.

Katz's has a good special if you get there before 10:00.  Otherwise it is kind of pricey.  Lankford Grocery has a good one, and Barnaby's has a $5 special, (neither of those options include pancakes though).  Best mexican breakfast goes to Teotijuacan on Cavalcade and Irvington.

Frank's and Telwink look retro to me (maybe frank's more)....Frank's is outside the loop on Telephone while Telwink is inside the loop on Telephone.

Several years ago the owner of Frank's bought Telwink. The new owners of Frank's still make food in the old tradition.

Oh, and can't forget Baby Barnaby's on Fairview (good luck getting a table!)

I am a Breakfast Taco fanatic. I eat one almost every morning. I usually get mine at Tommy's (in Post Oak Central) because they are in my building. They are awesome though. I also love BT's from Lankford too.

haven't been there for awhile, but we used to like one's a meal on west grey. also house of pies serves great blueberry pancakes. the kids like waffle house on westheimer past the beltway, but for me it's just not all that.

deb martin

Haven't tried Breakfast Klub yet, but I've heard so many good things about it. I also like Katz's, Barnaby's and Baby Barnaby's, and Empire Cafe. And while I'm not a big fan of most egg dishes, I really do like the omelets at Le Peep.

Haven't tried Breakfast Klub yet, but I've heard so many good things about it. I also like Katz's, Barnaby's and Baby Barnaby's, and Empire Cafe. And while I'm not a big fan of most egg dishes, I really do like the omelets at Le Peep.

Le Peep actually is pretty damn good. I always get the egg white breakfast burrito. I am never dissapointed.

I ate at Breakfast Klub once. I thought is was pretty good, but not really worth the hour wait. I was very excited to try chicken and waffles (having eaten at Roscoe's once before). I have to say the chicken was overcooked. The waffles were great and I liked the atmoshphere. I guess it was so hyped that it had a hard time living up to its rep.

• 2 years later...

Buffalo Grille, Farrago, Breakfast Klub, Barnaby's, & Shade are all favorite breakfast/brunch places of mine,

BUT... HAS ANYONE HAD KOLACHES FROM THE KOLACHE SHOPPE IN THE TUNNELS downtown?

They are not a big corporation like the Kolache Factory and they make those taste like the McDonalds of kolaches. They have several little kiosks throughout the tunnel system downtown. They are sersiously THE BEST. The bread is buttery and to die for. Killer hang over food and $1.05. It takes everything I have not to eat one as they call my name every morning, especially when I'm going to get a yucky egg white omellette.

too expensive for breakfast particularly if you have to stand in line.

that's what i have heard all around (plus iffy reports on food)

and club is only "klub" in denmark, hungary, etc. :P

I like the breakfast at Cafe Artiste near the Menil Collection. They have a damn good "south of the border" plate with eggs, spicy sausage, tamales, and tortillas with refried beans. Yum! Plus it's a cool place with a real laid back atmosphere and you can go for a nice walk by Menil and the Rothko Chapel area after you eat!

I like the breakfast at Cafe Artiste near the Menil Collection. They have a damn good "south of the border" plate with eggs, spicy sausage, tamales, and tortillas with refried beans. Yum! Plus it's a cool place with a real laid back atmosphere and you can go for a nice walk by Menil and the Rothko Chapel area after you eat!

How is the service there now? I stopped going to Cafe Artiste a couple of years ago after several incidents of really poor or non-existent service.

Never had a problem. It's not too bad - you pay at the counter, they make your coffee right away (fresh into your cup, not from a huge jug or something and you can chose from like 10 different types of coffee), then then give you a number and 5 or 10 minutes later your food is delivered to your table. Even on busy days it never took longer than 10 minutes to be served.

I used to live in the neighborhood so I ate many breakfasts there.

sounds like things have changed - i am with Gnu on the bad service experiences, but mine were several years ago when i used to live really close by.

i'll have to give it another go

Never had a problem. It's not too bad - you pay at the counter, they make your coffee right away (fresh into your cup, not from a huge jug or something and you can chose from like 10 different types of coffee), then then give you a number and 5 or 10 minutes later your food is delivered to your table. Even on busy days it never took longer than 10 minutes to be served.

we waited forever for our food on two different occasions. we had a distracted order taker once that didn't even acknowledge us for a full two minutes as we stood at the counter. several incidents of dirty tables and no one busing tables. there was probably something else that bugged me too. -_-

but i guess i should give it another try since it was a long time ago.

Yeah you definitely should. I've never had a bad experience. I don't think that service is top notch, but you can't except it to be in that sort of place. I've certainly never had to wait more than 10 minutes for food though. Also I don't know much about you guys but maybe it appeals more to my demographic (grad student).

I think the worst experience we had was trying to bring out plates up to the server rather than leaving them at our table when we left, and he told us to go put them back on the table. I thought that was kinda weird but I didn't let it bother me.

The place where we've had to wait the longest for service was Baby Barnaby's. Their food is pretty good but damn it takes a long time getting a table.

And the least impressive breakfast I've ever had in Houston was at Cafe Brazil.

seems like we have had this thread before....

how about el rey? (shepherd @ washington location)

not much on ambiance but the food is good, the price is right, and the coffee is great.

You people need to get out more ! Nobody mentioned Mama's Cafe. Huevos Hofbrau will kickstart ANYONE'S morning off. Delish !!! :wub:

I love mama's. I go there at least once a week, sometimes twice. It's never occurred to me to go for breakfast though.. I'll have to try that out. thanks

You people need to get out more ! Nobody mentioned Mama's Cafe. Huevos Hofbrau will kickstart ANYONE'S morning off. Delish !!! :wub:

gosh, haven't eaten at Mama's in ages

don't head to that part of town much anymore, though

I get the Uncle Willie's special, if I don't feel like Huevos Hofbrau(this is what their signature dish is) . The Uncle Willie is off the menu, but all the staff knows what it is. Better than IHOP anyday.

Archived