I think that the point here is that everything about China is being put under a microscope without considering the context of the flawed world that we live in. Many of us (particularly those of us who have spent a significant amount of time in China) feel that it is more important to consider the progress that they are making rather than condemn them for the flaws that they have as a society.

Fact: The average Chinese citizen is more free (economically and politically) today than they have been at any point in their lifetime. That should be encouraging to all.

Can they and should they become more free? Yes - but it is not reasonable to expect that it will happen as anything other than a gradual evolution.

i agree, but the point i was trying to make was to prove we dont know EVERYTHING happening over there, and people were saying houston was worse than beijing crime-wise and all they based it on was one international murder vs. all the homicides here, but thats because we have local newschannels on houston, not beijing so its incorrect to base it on one headline they saw on nbc,ect.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i agree, but the point i was trying to make was to prove we dont know EVERYTHING happening over there, and people were saying houston was worse than beijing crime-wise and all they based it on was one international murder vs. all the homicides here, but thats because we have local newschannels on houston, not beijing so its incorrect to base it on one headline they saw on nbc,ect.

Huh? Beijing really has much less crime than Houston. That's not based on one story or local news, but observation. China is a police state. They don't tolerate any foolishness.

Archived