Rock the Bayou Houston

Venue Information

Rock The Bayou Grounds is located between Kirby Drive and Fannin Avenue, directly south of Loop 610 in Houston, Texas, where AstroWorld was a seasonally operated theme park. The former theme park has been transformed into a hundred acre playground for music lovers and rock enthusiasts.

I don't know if this has been talked about or not (I'd be surprised if it hasn't) but here it is anyway.

3 stages are goin' up on the land where Astroworld was. Over 100 bands playin' over 4 days (Friday, August 29 through Monday, September 1).

A cool thing is some of these bands played at SouthernStar Amphitheater!

Some of the bands playin' include Twisted Sister, Alice Cooper, Britny Fox, Bret Michaels, Dokken, Lita Ford, Azrael's Bane, Bang Tango, Helstar, Black

I don't know if this has been talked about or not (I'd be surprised if it hasn't) but here it is anyway.

3 stages are goin' up on the land where Astroworld was. Over 100 bands playin' over 4 days (Friday, August 29 through Monday, September 1).

A cool thing is some of these bands played at SouthernStar Amphitheater!

About a month late man, old news, and yes a thread on this is here in the Astroworld Plot thread.

I don't think this is considered "Going Up!" unless the Mix use development is cancelled and that stage, as you noted, is really permanent.

I doubt it.

Land is too expenseve and the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion takes care of outdoor concerts nicely.

Pure cheese... That "music" is comical.

As far as the property is concerned: at least someone's leasing it for a few days. I cringe any time I drive by that spot-which isn't very often but painful nevertheless.

Hey! RATT's gonna be there!

"Round and Round....your love will find a way just giiiive it time!"

:lol::lol::lol:

All those kind of bands used to scare me.

I know a lot of the guys in the bands listed (Slaughter, Firehouse, Ratt, Warrant, Wolf Blitzer, Azreals Bane) and can tell you that most are harmless. In fact at the beginning of the Fall I'll be doing a project with Bill Leverty of Firehouse. He's a sweet guy.

I will say that a few of the bands listed SUCK, and suck real bad.

Hey! RATT's gonna be there!

"Round and Round....your love will find a way just giiiive it time!"

:lol::lol::lol:

Bobby Blotzer and I (drummer) we're getting ready to start a project when he got the call from Ratt. I thought it would fizzel out quickly, but I was wrong. He's got a house in Spring believe it or not, but now spends most of his time back in LA.

I know a lot of the guys in the bands listed (Slaughter, Firehouse, Ratt, Warrant, Wolf Blitzer, Azreals Bane) and can tell you that most are harmless. In fact at the beginning of the Fall I'll be doing a project with Bill Leverty of Firehouse. He's a sweet guy.

Bobby Blotzer and I (drummer) we're getting ready to start a project when he got the call from Ratt. I thought it would fizzel out quickly, but I was wrong. He's got a house in Spring believe it or not, but now spends most of his time back in LA.

Does Bobby have any good Milton Berle (he was in the Round and Round video) stories to tell? Any good VH1 Behind the Music type stories? :lol::lol::lol:

Does Bobby have any good Milton Berle (he was in the Round and Round video) stories to tell? Any good VH1 Behind the Music type stories? :lol::lol::lol:

Actually they shot several scenes of the VH1 behind the music at his home in Spring, and yes there are a lot of crazy stories. Old uncle Milton is actually Stevens uncle, which is how they got him in the video in the first place.

Do you know Bret Michaels? :lol: I got a huge laugh when he said in an episode of Rock of Love that he's "40". 40 my ass... :lol::lol::lol:

Actually they shot several scenes of the VH1 behind the music at his home in Spring, and yes there are a lot of crazy stories. Old uncle Milton is actually Stevens uncle, which is how they got him in the video in the first place.

Wow! I didn't know that...interesting! :D That's wild that he wound up in Spring...what are the odds? Then again, Crystal Bernhard (Wings) grew up there from what I hear...

Anyway, back to the concerts topic: How many songs are these bands going to be able to play considering there is "over 100 bands" playing over 4 days...a set of three? :lol:

Do you know Bret Michaels? :lol: I got a huge laugh when he said in an episode of Rock of Love that he's "40". 40 my ass... :lol::lol::lol:

No, but I can tell you that he's a goon. Also, he's at least 45. I'm 42 and i started in the biz at 19, and he was already hot in LA at the time.

Wow! I didn't know that...interesting! :D That's wild that he wound up in Spring...what are the odds? Then again, Crystal Bernhard (Wings) grew up there from what I hear...

The reason he wound up in Spring was because of a girlfriend who refused to live in LA, and wanted to come back home to Houston. Of course he was pretty whipped so he bought a HUGE house in Spring. What's funny is that he became infatuated with Houston because of the cheap real estate. He's purchased a bunch of property. he's now mainly in LA because the girl he was so whipped over dumped him.

I will say that he's a great guy...

No, but I can tell you that he's a goon. Also, he's at least 45. I'm 42 and i started in the biz at 19, and he was already hot in LA at the time.

The reason he wound up in Spring was because of a girlfriend who refused to live in LA, and wanted to come back home to Houston. Of course he was pretty whipped so he bought a HUGE house in Spring. What's funny is that he became infatuated with Houston because of the cheap real estate. He's purchased a bunch of property. he's now mainly in LA because the girl he was so whipped over dumped him.

I will say that he's a great guy...

Yeah, you can live like a king here compared to the cost of living in LA...sounds like a bright dude! May I ask what you do in the music biz? What instrument do you play?

Grew up in the Oak Creek Village subdivision, graduated from Spring High School (Class of 1980). Attended Bammel Middle School, was born in Garland, Texas 9-30-61.

Ha! Born in Garland...well, we won't hold that against her... :lol:;)

Yeah, you can live like a king here compared to the cost of living in LA...sounds like a bright dude! May I ask what you do in the music biz? What instrument do you play?

Professionally I'm a vocalist, but play piano, guitar, harp, drums. If your curious about my last project with top 50 recording artist Stride (Japan), just click my link below.

Anyway, back to the concerts topic: How many songs are these bands going to be able to play considering there is "over 100 bands" playing over 4 days...a set of three? :lol:

Over 100 bands over 4 days on 3 stages.....there will be non-stop music, as most, if not all bands will play during another's set or starting before one is done.

Example: Skid Row plays from 5:35 - 6:50 Death From Afar Plays 5:35-6:10 and Victim plays 5:30 - 6:10 Or how Ratt will play from 7:20 - 8:40 Lita Ford is playin' from....oh man, i don't wanna think about that because I'm gonna have to miss Krucible for Lita! Okay, Black and Blue play from 11:30 - 12:10 and both Desangre and The Huns start at 12:00 - 12:40 and Lillian Axe starts at 12:30.

So they will all fit.

Peace

I just finished conducting a big interview with the promoter for the upcoming Rock the Bayou festival being held Labor Day weekend at the old Astroworld site. The headliners are Queensryche, Sammy Hagar, Alice Cooper and Brett Michaels. There are more than 100 bands playing overall.

This answers a lot of questions about the event people are talking about...

Full article

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=...&id=6311507

Video

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/media?id=6311590

Photos

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/gallery?sectio...496&photo=1

Thanks,

Mike McGuff

mikemcguff.com

Archived