Elements of Design, Construction, Remodeling that you Hate!

This thread was inspired by the granite & stainless thread.

I know when I'm looking at houses there are certain things that homeowners, remodelers etc do that drive me nuts!

I'll start one. I'm sick of all of these gawdy hobby lobby mirrors being hung in front of vanities regardless of size, style etc...

hr2157559-13.jpg

flipper

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know when I'm looking at houses there are certain things that homeowners, remodelers etc do that drive me nuts!

I'll start one. I'm sick of all of these gawdy hobby lobby mirrors being hung in front of vanities regardless of size, style etc...

hr2157559-13.jpg

flipper

This will probably offend 95% of people reading this thread, but I can't stand venetian blinds in a home. I think they make it look like a dentist's office. Vertical blinds are even worse.

flipper

the mirror is ok if it was the right size. i'm not sure why there is crown in there when the window doesn't have moulding. this looks incomplete.

Over use, damn near any use, of that beige 12 inch tile. I see it all the time where people slather it ALL over the house, the bedrooms, the halls, formals, den, everywhere.

SPECIAL BONUS POINTS ~ when you have different patterns of tile for the different rooms, so it changes and the tiles certainly don't "line up" when you go from one room to another.

Great_Room_4.jpg

The "great room" concept. Kitchens should be at least partially separate from living areas.

Actually, this photo sums up a number of things I dislike in contemporary design and decorating. Bet they've got clashing tile and a bowl sink in the powder room, too.

Mixing architectural styles.

Most annoying, use of colonial columns on craftsman homes.

"I'm going to get my shotgun" annoying, use of turned porch posts on a craftsman.

Tolerable, but still annoying, use of square columns on a craftsman.

"I no longer admit you are my friend" annoying, when my friend, after first allowing square columns on his craftsman redo, then adding plastic Victorian detailing to "spruce it up". :angry:

hr2157559-13.jpg

flipper

What a weird little mirror. I can't decide if someone thought that actually looked good, or if they just gave up.

I'm as sick of beige walls throughout a house now as I once was of plain white walls. Both are completely devoid of any character or warmth. As previously mentiond, I'm sick of stainlessandgranite. There are other combinations of kitchen appliance colors and countertop materials out there... :rolleyes:

What I really hate is seeing a high-end house (or, rather, just high-cost) that hasn't had an ounce of planning put into it, especially in the kitchen. When a kitchen doesn't have a well-planned layout -- like a classic work triangle -- and almost no usable counterspace, it makes me want to scream. I realize that having a working kitchen isn't that important to everyone, but a kitchen should at least be functional if only for resale value! Classic example here: http://sheeats.wordpress.com/2008/01/08/the-golden-triangle/

I also hate it when the kitchen is placed so far away from the dining room that you might as well just turn it into a study or a playroom for as much use as it will be to you. You know you're just going to end up taking all your meals in the breakfast nook or the kitchen counter at that point. :lol:

I had the opportunity to see one of the worst houses ever - it is in Santa Fe on Highway 6...google street view only captures the entrance, but live maps kind of gives you an idea:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...045518142676368

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&...1&encType=1

What...the...HELL? Is that really a house? Or a cult compound? I really like the rusted shed to the rear of the house; adds that perfect touch of insanity to the whole tableau.

What...the...HELL? Is that really a house? Or a cult compound? I really like the rusted shed to the rear of the house; adds that perfect touch of insanity to the whole tableau.

I think it might be the new Galveston County Jail. I'm pretty sure I saw it featured on MSNBC's "Lockup".

while this is an extreme example, neither the sink nor the toilet should be in front of the tub. i see the toilet example quite frequently. that is a poor design.

044.jpg

That whole layout, fixtures and all, reminds me of playing The Sims. :lol:

while this is an extreme example, neither the sink nor the toilet should be in front of the tub. i see the toilet example quite frequently. that is a poor design.

044.jpg

It looks like this is a remodel, though, and like they were working within an already very tight space.

It looks terrible and isn't very functional, but I can see how there may have been a method to the madness given the space constraints...rather than just plain dumbassedness.

I can't find a picture of it right now, but I HATE when a range is "installed" at the end of a run of lower cabinets.

Leaving one side of the range exposed looks terrible and putting it right up against a wall is ridiculous!

Plan to leave some usuable counterspace on both sides of your range people!! :)

flipper

I dislike every single element of design, construction and remodel in this house:

http://www.har.com/9822584

I don't even know where to begin. Maybe with the pictures that are all hung at the very tip-top of the wall, all in a row. No, no. That's tasteless.

How about the travertine EVERYWHERE that doesn't go with a single thing in the house? Or the decision to put what looks like pink and white linoleum on the porch? Or the over-the-top cabinets in the kitchen? Or the equally OTT bathroom? This is a 1950s ranch-style home, people. C'mon now... <_<

I dislike every single element of design, construction and remodel in this house:

http://www.har.com/9822584

I don't even know where to begin. Maybe with the pictures that are all hung at the very tip-top of the wall, all in a row. No, no. That's tasteless.

How about the travertine EVERYWHERE that doesn't go with a single thing in the house? Or the decision to put what looks like pink and white linoleum on the porch? Or the over-the-top cabinets in the kitchen? Or the equally OTT bathroom? This is a 1950s ranch-style home, people. C'mon now... <_<

That thing is priceless!!!

At first, I thought my favorite was the clock way up against the crown mold. But, then I saw the added corner stones to the exterior. :lol:

Maybe someone should invent garanimals for home remodelers.

EDIT: Thanks to travelguy, we now have a word for these stones...Quoins. Thx, trvlguy.

Here are some of my biggest pet peeves for an old house and a new one:

hr2197442-1.jpg

Typical bad East End flip featuring: Hardi-Plank that is too wide for the scale of the house with trim boards that are too narrow, cheesy fake 6 over 6 Home Depot aluminum windows (HATE!!!!), cheesy fake wood front door also from Home Depot, wrought iron supports that look too small for the load of the large gable above them, porch has been replaced with concrete slab that will attract termites to the front wall, poorly placed industrial outdoor light fixture, and paved front yard.

hr2155996-10.jpg

This house has many design errors. Scale is completely off, and there is not enough articulation in the building surface. The windows and mullion pattern are way too large for the building. The fake shutters are just pathetic, plus they are only used on one side of the house. The window on the bottom story has a sill, but the ones on the second floor do not = potential for water intrusion and stucco failure. The porch is too narrow and will probably never get used. Roof pitch is too shallow. I hate stucco/fake stone in general, but no cap stone & flashing is used here = water will get behind the fake stone and it will eventually fall off. To top it all off, the landscaping is out of scale with the house, but we wouldn't want it to cover up the "designer's" beautiful creation, now would we?

hr2155996-13.jpg

Interior from the same house - poorly laid-out kitchen with absolutely no seperation from th family room. Where do you put the dirty dishes during a party? Who wants to watch TV with the diswasher going? Finally, I HATE "Gallery Furniture look-alike" kitchen cabinets with corbels.

Archived