What Became Of This And That

ding

for example, what bank did wells fargo take over to get into houston? and any info you guys know about the others, i would appreciate.

ding

I know very little, outside of my personal experience.

Having been treated very poorly by Allied, I swore I'd never deal with them again. I switched accounts (early 90's) to South Main Bank, a local independent which had been in business for some 40+ years. Nice people! Shortly thereafter it was taken over by Bank of the Medical Center, then by...oh God, something else.

At any rate, that one was eventually bought out by Wells Fargo, which also bought out Allied. So even though I left my bank, it came back to haunt me. Like a bad penny.

• 3 weeks later...

my partner asks that all of you experts in chicken fried steak come forward with any opinions on where you think the best one is NOW in houston??

Two places, different types of chicken fried steak....but both very good.

Hickory Hollow on northside. dont have the exact location, but it's near the dog track.

if your going north on 45 and exit 249 and take a left, it's close to beltway8, take a left at the dairy queen, and it's on the right just over the railroad tracks.

Aunt Bea's 45 and parker, back in the strip center, behind the rediculously priced thomas BBQ.

This is real down home chicken fried steak. About ten bucks for full meal and drink but worth it. small town atmosphere, and waitresses. {this one is my best pick}

Outside Houston......Smitharts in Alvin tx, and to the north, ......and danggit, I cant remember the name but we used to go there after each Ren Faire. It's on the west side of tomball parkway, in tomball. GREAT chicken fried steak. Those are my three picks for this region.

Coug.

my partner asks that all of you experts in chicken fried steak come forward with any opinions on where you think the best one is NOW in houston??

Hickory Hollow on northside. dont have the exact location, but it's near the dog track.

if your going north on 45 and exit 249 and take a left, it's close to beltway8, take a left at the dairy queen, and it's on the right just over the railroad tracks.

Aunt Bea's 45 and parker, back in the strip center, behind the rediculously priced thomas BBQ.

This is real down home chicken fried steak. About ten bucks for full meal and drink but worth it. small town atmosphere, and waitresses. {this one is my best pick}

Outside Houston......Smitharts in Alvin tx, and to the north, ......and danggit, I cant remember the name but we used to go there after each Ren Faire. It's on the west side of tomball parkway, in tomball. GREAT chicken fried steak. Those are my three picks for this region.

Coug.

Down the street (South) from UH -Main, Central, or whatever it's called now...Tel-wink Grill at Telephone & Winkler, of course. And you can't beat the price.

Coug.

I would suggest Barbeque Inn on Yale/Crosstimbers. Now that place is a blast from the past!

Coug.

I trust you're gonna come out to the Renfest this season? It starts October 11 and runs through November 30, including Thanksgiving Friday. Come see me!

Edited by KristinKamas

• 1 month later...
The name of the soft drink company was GOLDEN AGE... gone and maybe forgotten - a few brands include Sun-Up Ice Cream, Westmorland Dairy and Milk, Dentler potato chips, and Grand Prize Beer( we were too young for that though :mellow: )...Just take the time to check links in other HAIFcategories and the memories will come flying back.

"Golden Age is the perfect drink for you,

There are more delicious flavors too,

Sparkling, tangy, [la-de-da-de-doo],

For quality, economy,

Golden Age is the drink for you!"

There used to be a big, lighted Grand Prize Beer sign on the west side of the Gulf Freeway. As I recall, it wasn't too far from where Markle Steel was.

There used to be a big, lighted Grand Prize Beer sign on the west side of the Gulf Freeway. As I recall, it wasn't too far from where Markle Steel was.

I don't remember the Gulf Fwy Grand Prize Beer sign, but I do remember a GP sign way out on South Main not far from Missouri City. It was on the northbound side of the road, and it was there well into the 70s, long after GP had gone to the big bier halle in the sky.

I don't remember the Gulf Fwy Grand Prize Beer sign, but I do remember a GP sign way out on South Main not far from Missouri City. It was on the northbound side of the road, and it was there well into the 70s, long after GP had gone to the big bier halle in the sky.

The one I remember was definitely on Gulf Freeway. It seemed like it was lit with about a million bulbs. ISTR another one that wasn't lighted. It may be the one on S. Main.

When i was about 4 or5 years old (1952-53) , I strarted noticing brightly lighted and moving signs for some reason and certain ones became almost like landmarks for me whenever we were driving around: the Markle Steel sign and the GP beer sign on GF, the neon, running V8 engine at Texas Motor Exchange downtown, the Tower Theater, the buffalo at the Buffalo Town House motel on Buffalo Drive and Waugh. the rock of Gibraltar on the Prudential Bldg, the Christie's shrimp, a Puritan or Pilgrim Cleaners sign on Yale (the guy's arm was motorized), and of course, the rotating Gulf sign downtown.

I believe the Grand Prize sign was at the exit for Buff Stadium right next to (or over) a boat place at or near the corner that sold Scott-Attwater boat motors. I remember that because I got a small boat for Christmas with a motorized Scott-Attwater outboard motor on it, so there was that name recognition.

I believe the Grand Prize sign was at the exit for Buff Stadium right next to (or over) a boat place at or near the corner that sold Scott-Attwater boat motors. I remember that because I got a small boat for Christmas with a motorized Scott-Attwater outboard motor on it, so there was that name recognition.

Yeah, across from Buff Stadium would be logical place for a beer sign. ISTR a couple of more there, maybe Pearl and Falstaff or Jax but Grand Prize had the most lights.

Per a 1950s aerial photo in "Houston Freeways", the Grand Prize billboard was on the south side of the Gulf Freeway at the Cullen Exit, across from Buff Stadium. There was a Budweiser billboard directly across the freeway, on the north side.

At that time, it appears there were many alcohol billboards along the Gulf Freeway - there was a large Pearl and a large Jax billboard a few blocks before the Grand Prize billboard. The beginning of the freeway at downtown was flanked by a Falstaff billboard and a Seagrams #7 billboard.

While on the subject of old beers - when did they stop making Southern Select?

Per a 1950s aerial photo in "Houston Freeways", the Grand Prize billboard was on the south side of the Gulf Freeway at the Cullen Exit, across from Buff Stadium. There was a Budweiser billboard directly across the freeway, on the north side.

At that time, it appears there were many alcohol billboards along the Gulf Freeway - there was a large Pearl and a large Jax billboard a few blocks before the Grand Prize billboard. The beginning of the freeway at downtown was flanked by a Falstaff billboard and a Seagrams #7 billboard.

While on the subject of old beers - when did they stop making Southern Select?

Thanks for that. My memory is better than I thought. I just missed the Bud and Seagrams but I remember the Seagrams 7 sign now.

According to wikipedia Falstaff discontinued Southern Select in 1953 when they acquired the brewery. FWIW, I have a Southerm Select bottle opener in my small churchkey collection.

Here's a few of the old commercial tags from way back when:

GP for me, naturally.

What'll you have? Pabst Blue Ribbon.

Falstaff, that's our beer! (said by "The Old Pro"

Jax, the real beer! (from the Mike Nichols and Elaine May cartoon commercials)

Hamm's

Thanks for the photo, JR. I can see the Scott-Attwater sign on the right.

I was trying to find Prince's, but I can't see a sign for it. It should be just to the right of the GAS*OIL sign.

Are you sure? That sorta looks like a Prince's sign at the lower right of the GP sign. And it looks like it is in front of rows of awinings like they had a Prince's. But that would on the other side of the freeway from where you remember.

The photo is looking south, isn't it? Buff Stadium is off to the left? If so, Prince's should have been on the left of the freeway and on the other side of Cullen. It's not what I can see, but where I remember Prince's being located.

BTW, did you know Jax is the only beer that ever had a picture of its brewery on the lable?

• 7 years later...
  • The title was changed to What Became Of This And That?
  • The title was changed to What Became Of This And That