Granite & Stainless

This post on Swamplot cracked me up today:

http://swamplot.com/granite-countertops-are-hot/2008-07-28

I'll admit to having beautiful black granite countertops, but I never hopped on board the stainless steel wagon. Are y'all as tired of granite & stainless, granite & stainless, granite & stainless as I am?

If you are asking if I plan to rip out my granite, now that a "kitchen designer" has decided that fake stone is better than the real thing....um...no. Kinda hate to admit I am not a design diva, but I put in granite because it was...uh...cheaper than Silestone. :blush:

EDIT: Now, on the stainless kick, hear's what I don't get. It is not so much the stainless appliances, but the NAME. When one considers that a refrigerator has only one function, to keep food cold, one has to search for ways to distinguish bad from good. Well, the better ones keep the food cold using less electricity, right? Kinda like an automobile engine producing more horsepower per liter of displacement? Wrong. Not one of the super expensive brands are Energy Star certified. So, you are paying a premium for a unit that does it's job less efficiently than the mid-price units.

Ah, only in America. This kinda reminds me of that recycling thread. :D

So, you are paying a premium for a unit that does it's job less efficiently than the mid-price units.

You mean like a Hummer? :lol:

The only thing more fun than having loads of money is -- apparently -- finding new and inventive ways to waste it. :)

You mean like a Hummer? :lol:

The only thing more fun than having loads of money is -- apparently -- finding new and inventive ways to waste it. :)

Actually, the Hummer H2 is exactly what came to mind. While it is a monstrous mix of off-the-shelf parts from other GM vehicles, and has a ridiculously high price for what you get, it was rated dead last in quality by JD Power. But, not to denigrate SubZero TOO much. It is, after all, a COMMERCIAL fridge. I used to have a few in my restaurant. And, they DO have a value in that environment. That is, they are better able to maintain interior temperatures in an environment that is hot, and with the doors being opened repeatedly...two situations that never occur in the residential environment. So, in that sense, SubZero is more akin to the Hummer H1 than the H2.

I hear the trend now is stainless countertops and granite appliances.

Must be hell on those dishwasher door hinges....

But, not to denigrate SubZero TOO much. It is, after all, a COMMERCIAL fridge. I used to have a few in my restaurant. And, they DO have a value in that environment. That is, they are better able to maintain interior temperatures in an environment that is hot, and with the doors being opened repeatedly...two situations that never occur in the residential environment.

I thought the big advantage of SZs was the fact that they had two refrigeration systems...one for the fridge and one for the freezer which meant that the humidity was closer to or at optimality in the fridge section. No? Is that marketing BS?

I thought the big advantage of SZs was the fact that they had two refrigeration systems...one for the fridge and one for the freezer which meant that the humidity was closer to or at optimality in the fridge section. No? Is that marketing BS?

Well, let's put it this way. On the SubZero website, they brag that their side by side follows "Strict Department of Energy guidelines", and "uses less energy than a 100 watt bulb". Yet, if you look for the Energy Star emblem, you won't find it. A look at the Energy Star website explains why. None of the side by sides meet the criteria for being labeled Energy Star.

Another interesting energy efficient fact on their website is that it has an annual cost of $62...the same as my Energy Star GE fridge. But, if you look at the small print, you'll see that they base this number on 9.06 cents per kwh. The Energy Star label is based on 10.65 cents per kwh...17.5% higher. Of course, around here, we're averaging 18 cents.

Marketing BS? That would be harsh. :rolleyes:

Note that I am not suggesting a refrigerator that cost $125 a year to operate matters to someone willing to spend $8,000 for a fridge, only that I wonder what you are getting for the extra $6,500.

I'll admit to having beautiful black granite countertops, but I never hopped on board the stainless steel wagon. Are y'all as tired of granite & stainless, granite & stainless, granite & stainless as I am?
Yes, and I'm also getting sick of ice-makers, air conditioning, and mini-blinds.

Someone is going to have to explain how granite counter-tops "jumped the shark-tank" for me. The last time I checked, they make for one of the nicest, most durable surfaces available. Sure they're trendy, but so are 3 series beemers, plasma tv's and, and jet-skis.

What other options are there...

formica? Probably the most practical, least expensive solution... but no... boring...

tile? No... grout lines would be a pain...

wood? No... stain way too easily...

corian? Hmmm... maybe... put its basically plastic...

conrete? Hmmm... durable... but too messy to install, kind of spartan...

soap stone? Too soft.

silestone? Maybe. Just fake granite.

granite? Hmmm... durable. like a rock.

Of all these materials, its the color scheme, more than anything, that dates the look. If I see one more kitchen with "Dakota Mahgony" granite... I could vomit. But black? Or honed black (looks like soap stone)... some other colors - I don't think you can beat the durability of it (granite or quartz countertops).

I actually like both materials, due to their "visual honesty" (they're not fake representations of some other materials). However, the combination is becoming overused (black granite + stainless especially).

I've noticed that bronze & copper colored appliances are starting to appear more frequently in ads. Perhaps the late '70s fascination with brown is coming back?

I actually like both materials, due to their "visual honesty" (they're not fake representations of some other materials). However, the combination is becoming overused (black granite + stainless especially).

I've noticed that bronze & copper colored appliances are starting to appear more frequently in ads. Perhaps the late '70s fascination with brown is coming back?

Or somebody is trying to sell some people with perfectly good stainless appliances a totally new kitchen. You gotta have a new trend, or there's no reason to remodel.

Or somebody is trying to sell some people with perfectly good stainless appliances a totally new kitchen. You gotta have a new trend, or there's no reason to remodel.

Bingo.

Why get rid of a refrigerator? Because it broke? Nah, those things last for decades. Because the color is out of style? Exactly.

What NEEDS to jump the shark is HGTV and all of it's supposedly trendy home decor shows. Way too many impressionable homeowners watch those shows and actually believe them.

What I have found funny about the whole granite/stainless trend is the undisputable fact that it will be considered dated at some point in time, be it already or ten years from now. It's just the nature of people that what floats their boat now will certainly be old fashioned at some point, and it's just as likely that 50 years from now "retro" granite/stainless kitchens will be all the rage again. I rather like the look of stainless steel appliances but am much more ambivalent about granite counters. Like a previous poster the color/pattern of the counters is what makes me smile or go yecchh. My current kitchen is a mix of SS stove and frig, SS and wood countertops, and wood floor. It's gotten decidedly mixed reviews during my current "for sale" period.

I guess I should say that it's not that I'm opposed to either stainless steel appliances or granite countertops on principle. I have granite counters and love them. Would I have preferred to get something different? Sure, but I had to be cost-conscious and granite fit the bill. Stainless steel is nice, especially if you don't have kids or husbands with grubby hands (the fingerprints are a b!tch to clean off).

What I'm tired of is the ENDLESS combination of granite and stainless. It's everywhere. In every house, every townhome, every loft, every condo, every new build, every flip, EVERYTHING. I'm tired of the idea that it's somehow become the "gold standard" in kitchens. It's just incredibly lazy, to me, just like painting every wall in a new build or flip "tan" or "beige" or "chamois" or whatever color it's called right now.

I'm just fighting for a little more inventiveness or ingenuity in current design trends (not just kitchen design, mind you). It's a losing battle. :D

What I'm tired of is the ENDLESS combination of granite and stainless. It's everywhere. In every house, every townhome, every loft, every condo, every new build, every flip, EVERYTHING. I'm tired of the idea that it's somehow become the "gold standard" in kitchens. It's just incredibly lazy, to me, just like painting every wall in a new build or flip "tan" or "beige" or "chamois" or whatever color it's called right now.

My friend had concrete countertops done, and they look awesome. It cracked by the sink, but it usually does.

Affordable too.

Side not, love the Swamplot post on PTC, puts a bold text on the word granite.

Sixty-two apartments rest on top of retail stores, giving residents a downtown feel without the hassle of daily traffic. Granite countertops complement the kitchen of each unit along with stainless-steel appliances.

Sarcasm you think?

What I see now (maybe they've been around a while), is "stainless steel look" appliances. So instead of paying an extra $300 to $500 for a real stainless refrigerator, you can buy the faux stainless model for the same price as white one, because all you are really buying is refrigerator that is painted gray.

I want to say that I remember our family had a dishwasher and refrigerator with reversible panels. So if you got sick of almond... then just flip the panel around, now you have white! or black! They don't do this anymore...

And like clock work, the radiation scare emails have made there rounds at work.

The email PSA of the week, I am sure I will get it at least 5 more times from people trying to save my life from radioactive granite.

I really don't think that granite is going away very soon, for the reason that BryanS mentioned, but I am looking forward to the day that people stop using the speckled formica that is supposed to look like granite. That crap really has jumped the shark.

I really don't think that granite is going away very soon, for the reason that BryanS mentioned, but I am looking forward to the day that people stop using the speckled formica that is supposed to look like granite. That crap really has jumped the shark.

Nor should it. Granite is a durable and attractive countertop. Stainless steel is not a bad material to use in a damp environment like kitchens can be. The complaints voiced here are largely (and I agree) the buyers who squeal and swoon over granite and stainless, merely because the magazines and TV shows tell them to. If we could wish THOSE people away, everything would be alright. Because THOSE people cause a small bit of shame amongst those of us who chose granite and stainless for its durability and attractiveness, rather than its "IN" qualities.

Nor should it. Granite is a durable and attractive countertop. Stainless steel is not a bad material to use in a damp environment like kitchens can be. The complaints voiced here are largely (and I agree) the buyers who squeal and swoon over granite and stainless, merely because the magazines and TV shows tell them to. If we could wish THOSE people away, everything would be alright. Because THOSE people cause a small bit of shame amongst those of us who chose granite and stainless for its durability and attractiveness, rather than its "IN" qualities.

It's hard to be elitist when you're part of the masses, isn't it? Tricky. ;)

There's nothing wrong with granite countertops (well except for the radon thing) nor stainless appliances, but the ubiquity of them kinda ruined the notion of them being high-end.

Now, can we add "furniture-look" bathroom vanities to the been-there-done-that list?

Now, can we add "furniture-look" bathroom vanities to the been-there-done-that list?

I hate those, but not as much as "BEL Furniture-look" kitchen cabinets. You know, the ones with all sorts of excessive decorative corbels, dentil trim, and roman column legs.

There's nothing wrong with granite countertops (well except for the radon thing) nor stainless appliances, but the ubiquity of them kinda ruined the notion of them being high-end.

Don't get me started. What I hate are the bowl sinks. They're okay in a chi-chi hotel lobby or restaurant, but I think they are so pretentious and silly in a home.

So what are some counter tops and appliance colors that convey a sense of "upgrade" that can be used instead of granite or SS? I have thought that these were pretty ambiguous now for a long time but the market still seems to gravitate to these items???? Silestone doesn't say upgrade and black appliances don't either. Marble not good for kitchens generally. Built in appliances matching cabinets is ok but that really is an upgrade.

Bingo.

Why get rid of a refrigerator? Because it broke? Nah, those things last for decades. Because the color is out of style? Exactly.

What NEEDS to jump the shark is HGTV and all of it's supposedly trendy home decor shows. Way too many impressionable homeowners watch those shows and actually believe them.

This, and following posts, suggest that maybe....maybe...not everyone values those 'gotta-have' items which the flaks insist are so vital. Now we've come to the point that not having a state of the art kitchen is on the same level as child neglect, or indicative of a pathetic lack of taste.

How unfortunate that the latter is considered worse than the former.

You know what? A tuna sandwich prepared on a Formica countertop cannot be distinguished from one prepared on one made of granite. Also, I haven't had occasion to serve a gourmet meal for 20 in quite some time. Call me unpopular; but I suspect that's the case for most people.

Up yours, Martha.

I will admit to having odd tastes in kitchen stuff, preferring a lot of original elements and vintage looks to a uniform "stock" kitchen design.

This is an example of what I am sure a lot of people find appealing, but I just can't stand. I see it all the time in the east end. I see this ONE pattern of cabinets, like this is the only option, tossed into everything over there. Arts & Crafts in Eastwood, Tudor bungalows in Houston Country Club, or mid-century moderns in Glenbrook, it doesn't matter. One size fits all apparently. Even when they spring for the real granite over the cheezy fake version, it still looks wrong in older homes to me.

Often times people rip out good quality old stuff to slap this or worse in. Often times made with low grade wood which doesn't help.

hr2177534-8.jpg

I'm glad you posted that jarring visual. People think I'm crazy for wanting to replace granite with white tile--I'm by no means a preservationist, but really. At least try to respect the house.

I'm planning to replace the icky laminate on my kitchen countertops with tile, and folks look at me funny when I say that. But really, it's a 1920 house, and even though the original kitchen is long gone, I just can't see anything but tile fitting in with the rest of the house.

I'm planning to replace the icky laminate on my kitchen countertops with tile, and folks look at me funny when I say that. But really, it's a 1920 house, and even though the original kitchen is long gone, I just can't see anything but tile fitting in with the rest of the house.

Tile is a pretty inexpensive way to go and looks good, especially in remodel. The drawback IMO is cleanliness. Grout lines are hard to keep clean. Do you just clean(besides everyday cleaning) and seal the grout lines every year or two?

I will admit to having odd tastes in kitchen stuff, preferring a lot of original elements and vintage looks to a uniform "stock" kitchen design.

This is an example of what I am sure a lot of people find appealing, but I just can't stand. I see it all the time in the east end. I see this ONE pattern of cabinets, like this is the only option, tossed into everything over there. Arts & Crafts in Eastwood, Tudor bungalows in Houston Country Club, or mid-century moderns in Glenbrook, it doesn't matter. One size fits all apparently. Even when they spring for the real granite over the cheezy fake version, it still looks wrong in older homes to me.

Often times people rip out good quality old stuff to slap this or worse in. Often times made with low grade wood which doesn't help.

hr2177534-8.jpg

But that looks like it has neither granite or SS...Both of those would dress that kitchen up a but more?

Archived