Granite & Stainless

I like slate countertops, like the ones in your high school science lab.

I like those too. From my research, soapstone is/was a popular choice for those lab counters. It ain't cheap though.

I like terrazo as a counter.

flipper

What a fugly kitchen. I'm a firm believer in white appliances (including my hand mixer, stand mixer, oven, stove and microwave). This is a hold-over from my teens, when my Mom cycled through almond, harvest gold and avocado during a 15 year period. Blech!

Tile is a pretty inexpensive way to go and looks good, especially in remodel. The drawback IMO is cleanliness. Grout lines are hard to keep clean. Do you just clean(besides everyday cleaning) and seal the grout lines every year or two?

I don't really cook much, so I'm not that hard on my countertops whatever they're made of. Besides, I'm not sure I understand what seems like a quest for an indestructable kitchen. I have a friend who's always reminding me that most things ugly out before they wear out. So, my approach is to also look at the cost and bother to de-uglify. Bleach works pretty good for making unsealed grout white again, and even if it doesn't, it's not that big a deal to scrape it out and re-grout. Certainly easier and less expensive than replacing granite that you've grown to hate the look of.

I don't really cook much, so I'm not that hard on my countertops whatever they're made of. Besides, I'm not sure I understand what seems like a quest for an indestructable kitchen. I have a friend who's always reminding me that most things ugly out before they wear out. So, my approach is to also look at the cost and bother to de-uglify. Bleach works pretty good for making unsealed grout white again, and even if it doesn't, it's not that big a deal to scrape it out and re-grout. Certainly easier and less expensive than replacing granite that you've grown to hate the look of.

I still like granite myself, I like it a lot better than tile really. But granite is to normal now I guess. I have a house I am redoing that has a chippped up formica cabinet that I am going to tile up I think. Should dress it up considerably from the white formica.

Archived