City Of Houston Public Swimming Pools

Paying a Fee to use the Public pools  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay a fee to gain entrance to a City of Houston public pool?

• Yes
    • No

At our Shady Acres Civic Club meeting, a resident asked City Council Member At-Large Position 1 Peter Brown about enacting a nominal entrance fee to the public swimming pools. Houston is one of few places that allow residents to use the pool at no cost. However, the pools have deteriorated so much and I personally refuse to use these pools at their present state. Peter Brown asked us how many of us would pay a $0.50 or $1 admission charge for the upkeep. About 80% voted yes.

What do you think?

Edited by samiamj

I doubt that charging 50 cents is worth doing, once the costs of collecting and accounting for the money are taken into consideration. How about just squeezing the budget a bit to provide more cash for maintenance. The Parks Department is always underfunded.

Everywhere else it costs money to get into the pool. Up in College Station it's like 3 bucks or 80 for a pass Luckily A&M has the rec, though that certainly ain't free either...

Kids swim lessons should always be free though. Also adults not getting in the water shouldn't have to pay

They can raise my tax if they need to, so far it's all accounted for and justified. I hate to pay tax, pay toll, and pay for every other thing that I get taxed for. One bill please.

They can raise my tax if they need to, so far it's all accounted for and justified. I hate to pay tax, pay toll, and pay for every other thing that I get taxed for. One bill please.

Oh I mean i will not pay to use a public swimming pool.

I personally don't want to pay for something that I don't use. There should be a user generated fee attached to the pool. For example, to use the golfing facility, you must pay a fee. To play tennis at Memorial Park, you must pay a fee.

At our Shady Acres Civic Club meeting, a resident asked City Council Member At-Large Position 1 Peter Brown about enacting a nominal entrance fee to the public swimming pools. Houston is one of few places that allow residents to use the pool at no cost. However, the pools have deteriorated so much and I personally refuse to use these pools at their present state. Peter Brown asked us how many of us would pay a $0.50 or $1 admission charge for the upkeep. About 80% voted yes.

What do you think?

I think it is shameful that a city with a climate like ours has such abominable pools. Sure, charge a season fee, something like $25 or $50 per family... enough that most families could afford it. But only if that money (and other money, I guess) is used to actually make these places decent.

Right now I'd rather pay a fee to use the West U pool occasionally; it's a lot of money, but not if we only go now and then. It's a beautiful pool.

(edited to add more)

Edited by sarahiki

You can never have too many pools in Houston, and if that necessitates a usage fee or a slight tax increase, then I am all for it. Hot pavement is not as fun for kids. Seriously, I would not mind 1 or 2 more pools in the Heights area. I'd even be in favor of a neighborhood (rather then City of Houston) pool. It would require a lot of organization and effort, but it would offer us more control over its upkeep and quality.

I'd even be in favor of a neighborhood (rather then City of Houston) pool. It would require a lot of organization and effort, but it would offer us more control over its upkeep and quality.

My wife and I have been looking for a pool in the area. I think neighborhood pools with a reasonable fee is the way to go. I hear that Garden Oaks has one I am planning on looking into. I have no idea how the Heights or Shady Acres would coordinate creating one, but I would definitely join it if they did.

To answer the original question though, yes, I am all for paying a fee (per use or per month, whatever) to use Houston pools if they are kept in good shape. I didn't even know there were current options for using Houston pools, so I guess that speaks to their current level of attractiveness.

Peter Brown asked us how many of us would pay a $0.50 or $1 admission charge for the upkeep. About 80% voted yes.

What do you think?

Ask Peter Brown what he's done as Councilmember. it's interesting how many ways he can say nothing.

• The title was changed to City Of Houston Public Swimming Pools