USS Texas

Surprised no one talked about this. Galveston refused to vote the measure. Some of the arguments for and against the move is sound, but I wonder what the long term outlook would be on this.

I dislike the idea of moving it very much. Would it be better for the funding of the Texas? Probably, assuming that the concerns over the thin hull aren't substantiated and also that the increased salinity of water around Galveston didn't end up eating up all the extra revenue by way of increased oxidation. But it would be also be devastating to visitorship to the San Jacinto Monument and Battleground. Besides which, Galveston already has Seawolf Park.

And on a personal level, it would eliminate one of my excuses to take visitors to our port complex and across the Lynchburg Ferry.

Edited by TheNiche

• 3 weeks later...
I dislike the idea of moving it very much. Would it be better for the funding of the Texas? Probably, assuming that the concerns over the thin hull aren't substantiated and also that the increased salinity of water around Galveston didn't end up eating up all the extra revenue by way of increased oxidation. But it would be also be devastating to visitorship to the San Jacinto Monument and Battleground. Besides which, Galveston already has Seawolf Park.

And on a personal level, it would eliminate one of my excuses to take visitors to our port complex and across the Lynchburg Ferry.

I spent the night on the Texas this past weekend with my daughter's Girl Scout troop and discussed the proposed move with our tour guide. I would like to see the Texas moved to a dry observation building if the hull can support the ship.

It would be cool to be able to walk under the ship and around it from inside an observation buiding with catwalks to go tour the ship itself.

Currently, replacing the hull every 20 years because of its wet landing just seems expensive. Building a dry dock would be expensive, but presumably that would be a one-time expense.

Edited by Disastro

• 2 weeks later...
I spent the night on the Texas this past weekend with my daughter's Girl Scout troop and discussed the proposed move with our tour guide. I would like to see the Texas moved to a dry observation building if the hull can support the ship.

It would be cool to be able to walk under the ship and around it from inside an observation buiding with catwalks to go tour the ship itself.

Currently, replacing the hull every 20 years because of its wet landing just seems expensive. Building a dry dock would be expensive, but presumably that would be a one-time expense.

Way back in the early 70's My Uncle and Oldest Brother and Sister worked various jobs on the Battleship TEXAS. I remember on year my whole family were allowed to ride out a Hurricane aboard the USS Texas, I slept in the Trophy Room right under the location that infamous Torpedo breached the hull, the one that did not blow.

Moving the Old Girl would be a really bad move the Ship channel water is far less corrosive that that salt water at Galveston would be. Leave her Be and get on to more important matters .....................

I slept in the Trophy Room right under the location that infamous Torpedo breached the hull, the one that did not blow.
Actually, I believe it was a projectile that hit the Texas rather than a torpedo.

In fact, it was two projectiles that hit Texas that day off Cherbourg; one a 280mm shell that hit the bridge killing the helmsman and wounding a few others, and the other a 240mm shell that hit below the wardroom (Trophy room now, I believe) but did not explode. The shell is still displayed on Texas.

Speaking of the Texas moving, I had a very moving experience recently. I went to the Art Walk in Elgin in a few months ago for the first time. Various local artists had showings in some of the stores in downtown, and the Bremond Gallery had a number of featured artists.

One of those artists was Anthony Blackmon, and English artist known for his maritime artworks. When I walked in, I literally did a double take at a large painting to my left. Never before has a painting grabbed me in a way that painting did. I recognized immediately what the paintings was, but not the surroundings.

It was a 28” X 50” painting of the Battleship Texas. It was so dramatic that I could almost hear the guns roar. Then, upon closer inspection, realized the painting was of the ship as it was moved to drydock in Galveston, and that the crew on board were not sailors but civilians, obviously volunteers who were along for the ride.

Blackmon had a few other paintings on exhibit, including a couple of the Elisa. He is quite a talented artist. The painting of Texas was listed at $65,000.

I found a link to David Warner’s web site, which I will link. Warner ran the Bremond Gallery, which, unfortunately, has since closed. In searching for a photo of the painting, I learned that Blackmon was from Gravesend, Kent County, England. Something about that was familiar, and came to realize another "link".

Gravesend was the birthplace of the first Reynolds who came to America who was a direct descendant of mine. He arrived in Jamestown in February of 1622 and just a month later survived the Jamestown Massacre. This is something I discovered only recently.

I don’t know where Blackmon’s “Battleship Texas” is at present time, but if you ever get the chance to see it, it will be worth your while.

David Warner Gallery

Edited by Heights2Bastrop

I don't think Galveston wants anything else that is permanent, like the USS Texas, at Seawolf Park. If city leaders ever get their act together with the Port of Houston, then Pelican Island would be the next big expansion location for the port facilities. Seawolf Park is currently in the way of that long range plan, and all existing exhibits would need to be moved to another location.