Home At 215 Westmoreland St.

This is great news and something that i was hoping for.

I hope they win a good brick award from the Preservation Society!!

I know the owners of this Nash house. All the repairs are being done to look like the original house. The porch flooring has been replaced with material to match the original. The original cypress columns have been repaired and are back in place. The porch roof has been replaced. The siding has now been repaired on three sides. The carriage entrance is currently being repaired and will have a new roof. The railings on the front and the carriage entrance will be put back as they were in 1907. The first coat of paint is a prime coat and some additional preparation is being done. All wood that needs replacing is being replaced with cypress to match the original. It will have at least two more coats of paint. The contractors have very good reputations and the job is being done very well. The siding, flooring, and much of the trim had to be milled to match the original, but like any good historic restoration as much of the original will be preserved. Some of original plaster brackets are also being molded to match the original.

The owners are paying for this job themselves, and they will keep the house as original as possible. The work is being done with the approval of the city since it is a national historical house.

• 2 months later...
I hope that is the truth. I heard my info - that the neighbor paid to have it repainted - at a party just down the street from the house, with several of the neighborhood association's officers in on the discussion.

I don't know who's paying for it but there is progress at 215 Westmoreland! My hubby and I drove by today and saw that a light mint green coat of paint had been applied over the white primer. We had to stop and really look to detect the color but it is there. Assuming that more paint applications are to come, it looks like it will be a lovely mint green with white trim. We think it looks great, and there's also progress on the carriage house area. I will snap a pic next time and post it. I do hope they reinstall the upper railings on the second story. :D

I don't know who's paying for it but there is progress at 215 Westmoreland! My hubby and I drove by today and saw that a light mint green coat of paint had been applied over the white primer. We had to stop and really look to detect the color but it is there. Assuming that more paint applications are to come, it looks like it will be a lovely mint green with white trim. We think it looks great, and there's also progress on the carriage house area. I will snap a pic next time and post it. I do hope they reinstall the upper railings on the second story. :D

I was surprised at the color choice, and wonder whether it's historically correct. I don't recall seeing that color on other houses from that era. My assumption was that the house had always been painted white.

Regardless, it's a pretty color, and (IMO) not objectionable. I hope to see the ornate bracket which supported (at least visually) the upper porch restored and replaced.

• 2 months later...

There was another thread about this house from 2005. Anyway, regarding the color, there is a black and white photo from some publication and it appears to be two-tone. It's hard to tell, but the walls seem darker than the trim.

I can't find the other thread.

My husband and I drove by 215 Westmoreland just yesterday and it is coming along magnificently. Kudos to the owners of the 'Nash House' for restoring it. The painting seems complete and they are now restoring the railings to the front porch and balcony. Right now they are still natural wood but we're hoping they'll be painted white to match the rest of the house. I promise to take a photo this week and post it for all to see. I do think these homeowners deserve a 'Good Brick' award from the GHPA and will look into finding out criteria for nomination. I cannot believe how far this home has come since we first discovered it driving around one Sunday afternoon almost 3 years ago. :DWhat a job!

• The title was changed to Hopeful Signs At 215 Westmoreland
  • The title was changed to Home At 215 Westmoreland St.