Solomon's Sports Article This Morning in the Chron

sheeats

It's perfectly alright to be envious of Boston

"Oops, sorry. Forgot to mention that the Dynamo beat Boston's soccer team, the uh, whatchamacallits, in the MLS Cup final each of the last two years. Feel better now? Didn't think so. Who wouldn't trade the Dynamo and all the orange paint in Houston for the Patriots' three Super Bowl rings, the Red Sox' two World Series titles and the Celtics' NBA crown?)"

How disrespectful can you get? What a joke.

I've been accused of being more than just a tad over-sensitive. :P

I just hate his total dismissal of the Dynamo and their two championships alongside his endless whining about how much better Boston is than Houston. Then move there!

I think Boston has it's perks. I've loved it whenever I was there. I'd certainly never compare the two cities as they are simply far too different.

The Dynamo, well, the MLS is kind of a joke, so that part I can understand. It isn't like Houston has been without excitement though. Between our multiple NBA championships and trips to the playoffs, the Superbowl being here, the Astros in the world series and our WNBA team being champs numerous times as well, I think we are fine.

Houston simply doesn't spend on sports like northern cities do.

I don't have a problem at all with this article, in fact I down right agree with it. I do however find his statements regarding baseball a little goofy.

"So why has fate let the Red Sox sweep to a couple of recent World Series wins, while the Astros only teased us before being swept by another longtime, not all-time, loser in the White Sox?"

Uh, because the Red Sox spent $155.4 million and the Stro's spent $ 88,930,415. With the revenue that McClain is bringing in you would think that he might up his budget a little.

Uh, because the Red Sox spent $155.4 million and the Stro's spent $ 88,930,415. With the revenue that McClain is bringing in you would think that he might up his budget a little.

Too bad it ain't Red Sox revenue, or else we would have won The series.

I think Boston has it's perks. I've loved it whenever I was there. I'd certainly never compare the two cities as they are simply far too different.

The Dynamo, well, the MLS is kind of a joke, so that part I can understand. It isn't like Houston has been without excitement though. Between our multiple NBA championships and trips to the playoffs, the Superbowl being here, the Astros in the world series and our WNBA team being champs numerous times as well, I think we are fine.

Houston simply doesn't spend on sports like northern cities do.

Hmmm....the MLS is a joke, but you count the WNBA among our "exciting" sports exploits.

Interesting logic.

BTW, I AM envious of Boston's knowledgeable sports writers!

The Roach (Solomon), left the Chronicle for the Boston Globe a few years ago. He lasted about 1 season and rarely made the print editions up here in The Hub. Funny to see him back at the Chronicle.

The real truth of the matter is Boston/New England teams have MUCH BETTER owners. This is especially true of the Red Sox and Pats. Those folks know that in order to make money, you have to spend money.

Uncle Drayton could learn a thing or 194 from the Red Sox Organization.

Too bad it ain't Red Sox revenue, or else we would have won The series.

Yeah, $70 million additional dollars would be nice, however I think Mclain could have forked out an additional $10 million in payroll to add a big league pitcher, and it not break the bank. He still stands to make at least $50 million, plus the investment Mclain made by buying the Stro's in 92 ($103 million) has generated an additional $313 million for his bank account since the team is now worth $416 million.

Edit: To agree with Kinkaid, Uncle Drayton needs to pony up more cash.

I wouldn't call the MLS a joke, but you are indeed being over-sensitive. Some people just don't like soccer and really enjoy poking fun at it, a very large proportion of which work in the traditional sports media. If you're going to be a soccer (or Dynamo) fan, you just need to ignore those people. I have spent a bit of time with Jerome Solomon and he's actually an OK guy in person, so don't be too hard on him.

Here is the good news: ESPN is going to show the whole Champions League next year (or selected games from each round), from the 1st qualifying round to the final, and the (very credible) rumor is that they'll soon announce a broadcasting deal with the EPL for the 2009 season to start showing live HD games in the US on Saturday and Sunday mornings and tape delayed HD games on weeknights. They wouldn't be doing this if they didn't think it was a good business decision for a growing market, so it looks like the hatin' clowns are going to soon be in the minority.

I wouldn't call the MLS a joke, but you are indeed being over-sensitive. Some people just don't like soccer and really enjoy poking fun at it, a very large proportion of which work in the traditional sports media. If you're going to be a soccer (or Dynamo) fan, you just need to ignore those people. I have spent a bit of time with Jerome Solomon and he's actually an OK guy in person, so don't be too hard on him.

Here is the good news: ESPN is going to show the whole Champions League next year (or selected games from each round), from the 1st qualifying round to the final, and the (very credible) rumor is that they'll soon announce a broadcasting deal with the EPL for the 2009 season to start showing live HD games in the US on Saturday and Sunday mornings and tape delayed HD games on weeknights. They wouldn't be doing this if they didn't think it was a good business decision for a growing market, so it looks like the hatin' clowns are going to soon be in the minority.

I see what you're saying, and agree with most of it. But I'm never going to stop ignoring the "hatin' clowns." If you stop defending something, you've become passionless about it. And what is a sports fan (or a soccer fan?) without passion? ;)

Well, if the Texans could hire Bill Belichick and his camera men I'm sure they could cheat their way to enough Super Bowl rings for us to catch up with Boston...

Remember that the Red Sox, until 2004, were as choke-prone as any Houston team for nearly a century, that the Patriots have spent considerable amounts of time as NFL laughingstocks and that the Celtics sucked hard from the time Larry Bird retired until just recently. Boston has indeed had a good run here in the last decade or so, but....yeah. More inferiority complex. At least we can pay inflated prices to watch the Astros get their asses kicked by the Red Sox.

Wanna complain about something? Complain about how the Astros' pitching sucks.

At least we can pay inflated prices to watch the Astros get their asses kicked by the Red Sox.

No kidding. $50 for Yankees or Red Sox compared to regular $39 a seat on my package.

And then we get listen to them whine that their expensive pitcher, who just kicked our ass, sprained their damn ankle because they had to run the bases on account of the damn national league rules.

Meanwhile, back in the Uncle Drayton's bargain basementland of crap pitchers..............

Well, if the Texans could hire Bill Belichick and his camera men I'm sure they could cheat their way to enough Super Bowl rings for us to catch up with Boston...

Remember that the Red Sox, until 2004, were as choke-prone as any Houston team for nearly a century, that the Patriots have spent considerable amounts of time as NFL laughingstocks and that the Celtics sucked hard from the time Larry Bird retired until just recently. Boston has indeed had a good run here in the last decade or so, but....yeah. More inferiority complex. At least we can pay inflated prices to watch the Astros get their asses kicked by the Red Sox.

The RedSox and Patriots might have sucked, but you'd never know if from the fan support during all of those years. Now, the Celtics fan support did die off for a bit but MUCH of that had to do with the killing of the original Boston Garden. Some people still haven't forgiven the C's and Bruins ownership for allowing that to happen.

Boston is nothing if not tradition-filled. It is the ONE thing about Boston that I am envious of as a Houstonian.

maybe the sports teams in Houston could get more support if Houston could figure out a way to elect a fat drunken manslaughterer and a gigolo to the US Senate so they could fleece the US tax payers for the largest amount of money and the largest overages in the history of any LOCAL public works project :unsure:

maybe we could build a tunnel for the ship channel to run through :wacko:

maybe the sports teams in Houston could get more support if Houston could figure out a way to elect a fat drunken manslaughterer and a gigolo to the US Senate so they could fleece the US tax payers for the largest amount of money and the largest overages in the history of any LOCAL public works project :unsure:

maybe we could build a tunnel for the ship channel to run through :wacko:

Not that this has anything at all to do with the topic here.. <_<

There's another section for politics.

That was a rant out of the Right Field Bleachers.

Personally, I'd love for Houston to undertake a Big Dig type of project. Tunneling the Pierce Elevated and US 59 around downtown, reuniting neighborhoods, opening up the Buffalo and White Oak Bayous, restoring wetlands, building parks, etc... That would be wonderful.

I wish Texas' elected officials worked as hard for Texans as the Massachusetts Pols do for New Englanders.

Archived