Neighorhoods Missing Homes

NenaE

I would like to see a list of all 'hoods that have been altered by the flood plain. My sister pointed out one in Pasadena, off of Spencer, called Bliss Meadows. Very strange looking, first street "Sandy St." has only one house on it. House looks original to neighborhood. The first st. has curb addresses and landscaping left, just no houses. Sad & eerie. Kind of like, but much smaller scale that Brownwood. Why just one street? Anyone heard of this? Guess all nabes @ bayous are possible candidates for the list. Know of some on the Northwest side, around Faulkey Gully (Norchester, maybe).

I would like to see a list of all 'hoods that have been altered by the flood plain. Know of some on the Northwest side, around Faulkey Gully (Norchester, maybe).

I know of several off Fairbanks N Houston on WhiteOak Bayou

Creekside Estates ..home where i grew up has been gone for years.

Be(u)rger Estates ..was really only 2-3 streets between Creekside and Woodland lakes.. but about half of the homes are gone now.

Woodland Trails ..looks like the county has only bought out about 1/3 the neighborhood.

Edit - Fixed the links

I was noticing this in the back of Ponderosa Forest off 1960 recently. It was odd looking down at the back of Rolling Creek Drive. It is an old Kickerillo development I think, well maintained with these big houses that look much like the other Kickerillo developments out in western parts of Memorial.

Once you get to the back though, the houses become very scattered where apparently FEMA? has bought out and demolished a few rather than continuing to pay out insurance funds.

I wonder what it takes to get a buy out like that. I have heard of it, but it must be a difficult process.

there are several streets like that in friendswood neighborhoods along clear creek and cowards creek where some of the homes were bought out and removed.

then you have the 1994 sims bayou project that removed lots of houses along one side of reed rd in bayou oaks and some houses in garden villas and park place.

there are several streets like that in friendswood neighborhoods along clear creek and cowards creek where some of the homes were bought out and removed.

then you have the 1994 sims bayou project that removed lots of houses along one side of reed rd in bayou oaks and some houses in garden villas and park place.

Now that you mention it, there was one house removed at the end of Colgate in Glenbrook when they redid Sims, whenever that was, early 90's?

I know of at least two in Pearland: Green Tee and Corrigan. In both cases there are vacant lots standing next to houses on either side. One, in Corrigan, is a little surprising: the original two tract houses flooded badly and repeatedly. Finally they were demolished and the lot maintained as a vacant lot. In about the last two years, there was a major flood control and drainage project for the whole area, and now someone is building a log-cabin style two story house on that land. It's the only one like that in the area. I thought you couldn't build on land that had been bought out by FEMA or the county? But someone is.

There are three homes (more?) gone or going in Idylwood: One was a beautiful stone home on Idylwood Dr next to Spurlock Park (purchased by FEMA, now it is part of the park and you can't tell anything ever stood there). Another is where Sylvan and MacGregor Way come together (again, can't tell it was ever there). The final is on MacGregor Way near Lawndale--the garage apartment is still standing though.

In Glenbrook Valley there was a house torn down in the culdesac of Colgate on Sims Bayou. For Glenbrook, the most tragic teardowns were on Cayton where it turns into Wilmerdean. 3 houses on the 1954 Parade of Homes.....gone....to build a high school track. One of the houses was called "The House of Ideas". It had a 4 level flat roof and 2 courtyards enclosed with cedar. In the broschure it looks absolutley fabulous. Check it out on page 17 of the Pararde of Homes booklet at Glenbrook Valley.com. Also check out the " The Texan Americana" on page 8. It should be up for sale soon. I peeked in the windows and it appears to be a mess..but completely original and completely mod. The exterior doesn't look like the picture in the broschure unfortunately. It's on a very strange lot so the drive through carport had to be modified when built. <_<

I was noticing this in the back of Ponderosa Forest off 1960 recently. It was odd looking down at the back of Rolling Creek Drive. It is an old Kickerillo development I think, well maintained with these big houses that look much like the other Kickerillo developments out in western parts of Memorial.

Once you get to the back though, the houses become very scattered where apparently FEMA? has bought out and demolished a few rather than continuing to pay out insurance funds.

I wonder what it takes to get a buy out like that. I have heard of it, but it must be a difficult process.

Ponderosa Forest is indeed a Kickerillo development as was Greenwood Forest.

I am unaware any of those homes having been demolished, the area that flooded was the north section to the rear of the subdivision. I believe improvements were made recently to those subdivisions that were affected.

Ponderosa Forest is indeed a Kickerillo development as was Greenwood Forest.

I am unaware any of those homes having been demolished, the area that flooded was the north section to the rear of the subdivision. I believe improvements were made recently to those subdivisions that were affected.

Greenwood Forest was developed Don Hand's Greenwood Corporation, who then built Champion Forest, not Kickerillo.

There was one swatch in the back of Ponderosa, but not all the way back, that flooded the worst. Worse even than lots closer to the creek. In this swath there were several homes they took out in the last block of Rolling Creek & west of it on the next blocks. I remember the homes and they were gone.

In Glenbrook Valley there was a house torn down in the culdesac of Colgate on Sims Bayou. For Glenbrook, the most tragic teardowns were on Cayton where it turns into Wilmerdean. 3 houses on the 1954 Parade of Homes.....gone....to build a high school track. One of the houses was called "The House of Ideas". It had a 4 level flat roof and 2 courtyards enclosed with cedar. In the broschure it looks absolutley fabulous. Check it out on page 17 of the Pararde of Homes booklet at Glenbrook Valley.com. Also check out the " The Texan Americana" on page 8. It should be up for sale soon. I peeked in the windows and it appears to be a mess..but completely original and completely mod. The exterior doesn't look like the picture in the broschure unfortunately. It's on a very strange lot so the drive through carport had to be modified when built. <_<

Hard to read this post. Sad. GoogleEarth shows that the area of the Colgate St. house sat at a very heavy hit area for water, was close to a sloping embankment were no home building was done. Look at the wooded area between Colgate and Glenloch. It starts from as far back as almost Bellfort, and runs to the bayou, increasing in width as it slopes. Flows into the bayou rt. before the new? spillway pipe, with dirt construction, drops considerably after that. Tells you it is an area with recent water control tactics. Interesting. Note the oxbows rt. above Hwy 35 (Telephone Rd.), around Garden Villas, that were cut out, means more water flowing faster, more direct route.

I think I remember that Baytown had a whole nabe just plain empty of people and it seemed like any sign of life for that matter.

Very Twilight Zone-ish. Could swear I saw Rod Serling standing in the background talking. :ph34r::lol:

Hard to read this post. Sad. GoogleEarth shows that the area of the Colgate St. house sat at a very heavy hit area for water, was close to a sloping embankment were no home building was done. Look at the wooded area between Colgate and Glenloch. It starts from as far back as almost Bellfort, and runs to the bayou, increasing in width as it slopes. Flows into the bayou rt. before the new? spillway pipe, with dirt construction, drops considerably after that. Tells you it is an area with recent water control tactics. Interesting. Note the oxbows rt. above Hwy 35 (Telephone Rd.), around Garden Villas, that were cut out, means more water flowing faster, more direct route.

The one that was taken out was at the northern tip of Colgate. It appeared to be in the way of the widening of Sims, plus I heard it sat low too. there is a finger of the bayou that runs up between Glenloch and Colgate but I do not believe that one gets out of its banks. I have another house on Colgate and I don't think it required flood insurance.

I think I remember that Baytown had a whole nabe just plain empty of people and it seemed like any sign of life for that matter.

Very Twilight Zone-ish. Could swear I saw Rod Serling standing in the background talking. :ph34r::lol:

I think you are talking about Brownwood, Vertigo.

Thanks for the info. rps324. Knew you would know something. That whole Glenbrook area is so fascinating to me, for these reasons. Very similar to Idylwood, in topography. The high school located on the south end of Glenbrook must be a fairly new construction. Don't remember it being there, in the past.

I think you are talking about Brownwood, Vertigo.

Thanks for the info. rps324. Knew you would know something. That whole Glenbrook area is so fascinating to me, for these reasons. Very similar to Idylwood, in topography. The high school located on the south end of Glenbrook must be a fairly new construction. Don't remember it being there, in the past.

That's Ortiz middle school. The one facing Telephone?

That's it. Too bad about those homes, from the Parade list being torn down for a track. <_<

These two were lost. Some others were taken down but I don't think they were part of the Parade. One other one was lost to fire.

pofh17.jpg

pofh10.jpg

While I have your attention, rps324, do you know the history of the missing house at the end of the culdesac on Glen Dell Ct., on rt, only the slab foundation remains (opposite st. from Stony Dell Ct.). Fire or flood water? probably fire, after all, my fav. lava rock house, on the corner of Stony Dell Ct. is still there, in the swale.

While I have your attention, rps324, do you know the history of the missing house at the end of the culdesac on Glen Dell Ct., on rt, only the slab foundation remains (opposite st. from Stony Dell Ct.). Fire or flood water? probably fire, after all, my fav. lava rock house, on the corner of Stony Dell Ct. is still there, in the swale.

Fire from what I understand.

Greenwood Forest was developed Don Hand's Greenwood Corporation, who then built Champion Forest, not Kickerillo.

There was one swatch in the back of Ponderosa, but not all the way back, that flooded the worst. Worse even than lots closer to the creek. In this swath there were several homes they took out in the last block of Rolling Creek & west of it on the next blocks. I remember the homes and they were gone.

http://www.tedsimon.com/grenwood.html

http://www.kickerillo.com/company.html

My home is featured in Ponderosa Forest on Roanwood/Sugar Pine and in Fleetwood on Fleetwood Oaks Dr.

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Neighorhoods Missing Homes

Archived