Montrose Elementary School At 4001 Stanford St.

capnmcbarnacle

2 hours ago, Susie Homemaker said:

I attended Montrose Elementary.  Many happy memories.  I do recall the May Fete, the Halloween Carnival, the Montrose Spaghetti, and playing jacks on the smooth concrete.  I was there from 1954-59, first through fifth grade.  I had Miss Menier in second grade and took French from her in the early mornings before school started.  Miss Ott was my fifth grade teacher.  She wore a wonderful black sun hat during recess.  And, I remember Miss Jorgenson well.  She later went to Poe Elementary and was there when the bomber attacked the school.

I was sorry to see the lovely building torn down.  

where was montrose elementary?

8 hours ago, Earlydays said:

It is where the Arabic Immersion Magnet School is today.

It's going to be a long time before I"m able to think of that site as anything but HSPVA - I lived about a block away on Stanford when the building first opened in 1984. 

I completely forgot the Arabic Immersion Magnet School was moving there. I just noticed a sign indicating they'd vacated the premises at their former location on Durham when I was driving by there this past weekend, and wondered where they were located now.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, BillW said:

I was there in the last half of my 5th grade, and all of 6th, in 1950 and first half of '51.   Don't remember much except we did the Pledge of Allegiance using the 'Hand Salute'.

You mean the Bellamy salute? That's very interesting, I thought it had been phased out in favor of hand-over-heart in the early 1940s. Didn't realize it had persisted into the 1950s. 

Students_pledging_allegiance_to_the_Amer

Yup, the Bellamy salute persisted.  If you grew up there, you may not have noticed, since you grew up with it, and as kids, it's just something you did.  But I moved there in the 5th grade, from Ohio, and the difference in pledging really stood out.  And the teacher got a different kid to lead the pledge each day, so I do remember that well....

1 hour ago, BillW said:

Yup, the Bellamy salute persisted.  If you grew up there, you may not have noticed, since you grew up with it, and as kids, it's just something you did.  But I moved there in the 5th grade, from Ohio, and the difference in pledging really stood out.  And the teacher got a different kid to lead the pledge each day, so I do remember that well....

I hadn't been born yet in the 1950s, so by the time I was in elementary school, the Bellamy salute was long gone. I can well imagine how it must've stood out to someone who'd never seen it done before. If it was still being practiced in Houston in 1950, it must have still been in evidence in other locales as well. I find that fascinating, as the conventional wisdom would have us believe that it was almost immediately retired upon act of Congress in 1942.  Just goes to show that when it comes to history, there's no substitute for eyewitness testimony.  

• 2 months later...
On 8/6/2020 at 7:02 AM, Susie Homemaker said:

I attended Montrose Elementary.  Many happy memories.  I do recall the May Fete, the Halloween Carnival, the Montrose Spaghetti, and playing jacks on the smooth concrete.  I was there from 1954-59, first through fifth grade.  I had Miss Menier in second grade and took French from her in the early mornings before school started.  Miss Ott was my fifth grade teacher.  She wore a wonderful black sun hat during recess.  And, I remember Miss Jorgenson well.  She later went to Poe Elementary and was there when the bomber attacked the school.

I was sorry to see the lovely building torn down.  

I remember Miss Menier. I had her for my first few days of third grade (1959 it would have been), but then several of us were moved to Miss Shapley's class. As an adult, remembering the Montrose teachers, I've thought vaguely that Menier sounded like a French name. So Miss Menier knew and taught French! That's a nice and very interesting bit of trivia. 

I was in high-second, in Miss Millard's class when we children learned about the Poe bombing. I could read fairly well by then and I remember reading a scary account of the tragedy in the Houston Press (no relation to the current weekly of the same name).

The only one of those you mentioned whom I don't remember was Miss Ott; maybe she wasn't there by the time I started school there.

• The title was changed to Montrose Elementary School History
  • The title was changed to Montrose Elementary School At 4001 Stanford St.

Archived