Skyscraper complex to feature five 100+ story buildings

Thanks for doin that.

But are you kidding me?! That looks like sim city stuff. Just ridiculous.

If we were to start drilling for Oil in America like we should, do yall think Houston would boom, or would it matter?

It wouldn't matter all that much. Too many NIMBYs all around. America's "can do" spirit left the nation long ago and now happily resides in the Middle East and Asia.

It wouldn't matter all that much. Too many NIMBYs all around. America's "can do" spirit left the nation long ago and now happily resides in the Middle East and Asia.

I know, and we get stuck with boring boxy buildings. . . that are short.

Oh well, at least with have fake glaciers and snow mountains to fall back on.

America's "can do" spirit left the nation long ago and now happily resides in the Middle East and Asia.

I don't know about 'happily' when you consider that so much of the building (Dubai comes to mind) relies on what amounts to slave labor.

I don't know about 'happily' when you consider that so much of the building (Dubai comes to mind) relies on what amounts to slave labor.

*cough* We use Mexicans *cough*

It exists everywhere, if you want new developements, you need affordable labor.

Check out the immense City Center in Vegas. Already 6 people died. No one should be dying on a job site with OSHA rules and regulations. Builders use and abuse cheap labor to get these massive projects done.

We have the cheap labor to do it to build these super talls if we want them.

*cough* We use Mexicans *cough*

It exists everywhere, if you want new developements, you need affordable labor.

Check out the immense City Center in Vegas. Already 6 people died. No one should be dying on a job site with OSHA rules and regulations. Builders use and abuse cheap labor to get these massive projects done.

We have the cheap labor to do it to build these super talls if we want them.

So, are you saying you're basically OK with deadly exploitation if we can build something cool and tall? I don't think that's your intent, but don't diminish the facts of the labor sitution in Dubai. 'Affordable labor' is not even close to being an accurate description of how modern Dubai was and is being built. Mexican laborers here live like kings compared to the Indians and Pakistanis in Dubai.

Talking to several people that recently came from Dubai, it seems that now the major chief complaints are traffic. Seems that the freeways they constructed doesn't seem like it is up to the task with the traffic that is there now.

I would expect his highness is going to go double decker pretty soon.

Agreed. We like plain and bland nowdays. Just look at Houston's newest buildings. They are nice, but they are certainly nothing spectacular like some of the skyscrapers built in the 80s.

Dubai thinks bigger than big and dreams to do the impossible.

And they have not only the retarded amounts of money to do it - but also no one to tell them no.

But isn't that what it takes to do the impossible? A bucketload of cash and 'the pair' to just get it done, regardless of whether it's possible or not.

Agreed. We like plain and bland nowdays. Just look at Houston's newest buildings. They are nice, but they are certainly nothing spectacular like some of the skyscrapers built in the 80s.

Dubai thinks bigger than big and dreams to do the impossible.

IMO, one of the big reasons things get done in Asia is that people are willing to spend the money to do it.

In America there's the philosophy of building towers "with other people's money" -- meaning the bank. And if you can't pre-sell a certain amount of your project it simply doesn't get done.

The big building companies of Asia and the Middle East just pick a good location and build using their own cash and then hope to make it back later. You never see bank logos on construction sites in Asia because they're simply not involved.

It's called "guts" and it's something lacking in many sectors of the American economy. People are so afraid to take chances that even the word "entrepreneur" is considered dirty in some circles.

One thing I've noticed while traveling and doing business in Asia, including the Middle East, is that by and large individuals don't matter. The culture is such that if people are harmed by development then so be it-it's all for the 'common' good. That's why you see large swaths of inner Beijing being leveled and displacing thousands of people all to host the Summer Olympics or build a mega office structure. That's also why you see slave labor exploitation in places like Dubai. Individuals simply don't matter in these countries. Personally, the slower and arguably less 'grand' development that is taking place in the U.S. is fine by me. At least we care about people somewhat. Certainly more than some sheikh in the UAE.

• 1 month later...
So, are you saying you're basically OK with deadly exploitation if we can build something cool and tall? I don't think that's your intent, but don't diminish the facts of the labor sitution in Dubai. 'Affordable labor' is not even close to being an accurate description of how modern Dubai was and is being built. Mexican laborers here live like kings compared to the Indians and Pakistanis in Dubai.

totally agree with you on that one...

Archived