Midtown Question

jpedders

I'm looking at townhomes in the midtown area <$300 and have questions about the areas north of gray and just west of 45. That would be just off the freeway and near all the corrugated metal townhomes/Edge development.

Is this area a good investment in the 2-5 year timeframe?

Does anybody know anything about the ruined church on 801 Andrews, Bethel Baptist? Any groups potentially involved in renovation?

Thanks!

I'm looking at townhomes in the midtown area <$300 and have questions about the areas north of gray and just west of 45. That would be just off the freeway and near all the corrugated metal townhomes/Edge development.

Does anybody know anything about the ruined church on 801 Andrews, Bethel Baptist? Any groups potentially involved in renovation?

Thanks!

Probably not. If you buy at 250, you'll probably resell at $250 - $270 in that timeframe. If you list with a realtor, in such a short timeframe, you could lose money.

If you really like them, then buy one. I looked at those same units. I like that they are freestanding (the ones I saw). But... they were overpriced, I thought. Plus, for some reason, people actually have chased my car near there, for no apparent reason.

Plus, for some reason, people actually have chased my car near there, for no apparent reason.

Yeah, that happened to me, too, but just once and just one guy.

Has this happened to you more than once, or was it more than one persons chasing you at once?

Yeah, that happened to me, too, but just once and just one guy.

Has this happened to you more than once, or was it more than one persons chasing you at once?

It has happened TWICE to me. Once to another friend of mine... and now you... There appears to be a pattern.

In my cases, there were several people. 4 to 6, each time. It was one of the more bizarre things I've experienced.

It has happened TWICE to me. Once to another friend of mine... and now you... There appears to be a pattern.

In my cases, there were several people. 4 to 6, each time. It was one of the more bizarre things I've experienced.

Do you drive a really long car with lots of windows and a red, white & blue paint job?

Not a good area at all. I know because I tried to walk from The Wet Spot to W. Dallas at nightime. It's a long story, but I got out alive.

LOL. not to digress but i would have never guessed that "the wet spot" is a sports bar.

Thanks!

If they can remove ALL the crackhouses within that timeframe, I would say there is a possibility. Problem with townhomes right now is that they are WAAAAAAAYYYYY over inflated on price. Now, I know that is great for all of us here that live in these places, but it is a big part of the FAUX values that are hampering the further development of the area.

Thanks!

You might also want to look in Midtown near the Baldwin Park area. My wife and I moved there about 4 months ago and are loving it. Initially, we were looking in the same area as you... but settled on the Baldwin Park area because it had more of a neighborhood feel. There are lots of really nice people always walking dogs, kids, etc. You have easy access to 59 and 288, Baldwin Park itself is very nice, and you are still close to everything.

Ah yes. So one cool thing about parts of Fourth Ward are the views of the "Skyline District" (oy). Good views.

The 5th ward can get some occasional love too. Burts Meat Market. Seriously. Boudin and andouille sausage, ribs on the steam table for lunch. Anyone who loves soul food or southeastern 'specialty meats' needs to go. Lyons right off Lockwood, 1-10 east.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. LOL @ Crack is whack.

I just don't get a good gut feeling about the area over there - plus if you ever wanted to sell you'd be competing with the corrugated stuff 30-40k less.

I live in the Smith St Apts right now and would like to stay in the area but haven't been overwhelmed by what's out there. I see that they're putting in townhomes on Brazos "from the 400's" and I'm thinking "are you kidding me?"

Where's a guy to go?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

can anyone help me with the status of Camden Travis Apartments?

this is where the property is - The site is at the corner of Travis and Dennis Street, just behind the restaurant Reef. The largest tenant in the shopping center, at 2830 Travis Street, was the Hoa Binh Supermarket.

any help?

can anyone help me with the status of Camden Travis Apartments?

this is where the property is - The site is at the corner of Travis and Dennis Street, just behind the restaurant Reef. The largest tenant in the shopping center, at 2830 Travis Street, was the Hoa Binh Supermarket.

any help?

There is an entire thread on it here if you want some history/updates on it. As for its status, they have a sign up saying they will be renting in the fall. If you have any questions about the area, feel free to ask (I live nearby).

I used to work in Midtown. One day, I saw this homeless guy plunk himself down on the sidewalk, take out a needle, and shoot up right there - in plain view of a busy intersection.

Not surprised by the stories of people chasing cars around there.

Archived