Bike Lanes On W. Alabama St.

A year or so prior to the rebuilding of Hwy 59, designated bicycle lanes were established on West Alabama.

Because of fears that highway reconstruction would cause traffic to spill over into residential neighborhoods, the bike lanes were eliminated and West Alabama reverted into a three-lane street.

Years later, W. Alabama remains a three lane street. For those who are blissfully unfamiliar with this configuration, the middle lane switches direction based on the time of day. It's confusing even for local residents, and no longer serves any real purpose.

May we please have our bike lanes back?

Years later, W. Alabama remains a three lane street. For those who are blissfully unfamiliar with this configuration, the middle lane switches direction based on the time of day. It's confusing even for local residents, and no longer serves any real purpose.

It serves about as much purpose as the HOV lanes. The problem is that people are too ignorant to learn.

I use it two or three times a week to go home from Midtown, and I find it easier to navigate than 59 would be during evening rush hour. The worst offenders are east bound travelers getting in the contra-flow lane just to make left turns. All in all though, its a nice smooth ride west.

I like to bike everywhere I can, so this kind of thing really used to annoy me. But then I thought, "To hell with them. If the city doesn't want to maintain bike lanes then fine, I'll just ride on the car lanes." And that's just what I do. I'm glad to be annoying all those drivers who have to slow down to get around me. So there. :P

Is there any info on wrecks on West Alabama since the contraflow lane was installed? It is not well marked and I have come close to having a headon collision with those using the lane to turn left even though those coming that direction have the red "X". It is really dangerous.

Is there any info on wrecks on West Alabama since the contraflow lane was installed? It is not well marked and I have come close to having a headon collision with those using the lane to turn left even though those coming that direction have the red "X". It is really dangerous.

Agreed.

In that same circumstance, the driver making the left turn from the proper (right-hand) lane also has to look out for impatient (idiotic?) drivers who ignore turn signals and the red X and attempt to pass. That's scared the socks off me a time or two.

• The title was changed to W. Alabama St. Bike Lanes
  • The title was changed to Bike Lanes On W. Alabama St.

Archived