Worst Street(s) in Houston

longcat

Airline Drive between Cavalcade and 610. The (painted) lanes are not even wide enough for an average car. Several times I've seen the produce trucks peeled open like sardine cans when they crowd the curb and catch a telephone pole.

Also, it seems as if everytime the city puts down a new overlay on a road, someone comes along a cuts a hole in it for "infrastructure" improvements. A classic example is Waugh south of West Gray...they ground it down, repaved it, and 4 months later cut holes every 50 ft in it for new water lines. The lack of coordination and planning in the city on road work is really unacceptable.

Colquitt between Shepherd and Mandell is so bad, I won't drive my car on it, I can't ride my bike because of the pot holes, and one night while walking down the street from Fiesta, I stepped in a pothole and sprained my ankle. Why was I walking in the street? Because the sidewalks are worse.

If by chance they accidently fill a pothole, it's kitty litter with a little Elmer's glue which lasts about 4 days. You know what I'm talking about. Although I notice my neighbor Sue Lovell lives on a street totally repaved in the last two years. Not that there is a connection.

If by chance they accidently fill a pothole, it's kitty litter with a little Elmer's glue which lasts about 4 days. You know what I'm talking about. Although I notice my neighbor Sue Lovell lives on a street totally repaved in the last two years. Not that there is a connection.

Ain't that the truth.

Kitty litter and elmers. Classic.

The kitty litter lasts a day, if that. The patches aren't much better since they come apart after every rain storm. Asphalt resurfacing lasts about 2 years in Houston. Concrete is the way to go.

I love the huge 10 billion ton metal plates they put everywhere. I had never seen those until I moved here, but sometimes when I'm looking at houses while riding my bike, I'll nearly eat it when I catch the corner of one.

Airline Drive between Cavalcade and 610. The (painted) lanes are not even wide enough for an average car. Several times I've seen the produce trucks peeled open like sardine cans when they crowd the curb and catch a telephone pole.

Yep, going to Canino's can be a pain.

• 5 weeks later...
Also, it seems as if everytime the city puts down a new overlay on a road, someone comes along a cuts a hole in it for "infrastructure" improvements. A classic example is Waugh south of West Gray...they ground it down, repaved it, and 4 months later cut holes every 50 ft in it for new water lines. The lack of coordination and planning in the city on road work is really unacceptable.

Yep, it seems to be beyond human capacity to coordinate repaving and laying lines. That was a big deal at the time all the streets downtown were being redone. A week after the street would reopen, and SWB (at the time) was cutting them up to lay fiber cable.

Yep, it seems to be beyond human capacity to coordinate repaving and laying lines. That was a big deal at the time all the streets downtown were being redone. A week after the street would reopen, and SWB (at the time) was cutting them up to lay fiber cable.

Wonder if it's a money (budget) issue or just poor planning. I mean, how hard is it to just get the job done in a timely fashion?

Wonder if it's a money (budget) issue or just poor planning. I mean, how hard is it to just get the job done in a timely fashion?

they don't always know what is under the streets which makes planning difficult.

N Main, from Airline to UH Downtown. Drove on it for the first time today. Pretty bad. The only thing I like is the micro tunnel under I-10. Then from the point where you bear to the right lane after crossing Buffalo Bayou, between Commerce and Congress I saw doodoo, human doodoo, on the road. Scattered, more than from one person!! Is that area always like that? The shops there are cool but then... Drove my car straight to car wash because I'm not sure I swerved from all that.

Yes, I was thinking that stretch from Holcomb to Braeswood. Yikes!

That's exactly what I was thinking of. But there are some stretches of Westheimer and Richmond that aren't much better if any better at all. Half-assed patches breaking apart after the rain just seem to make things worse over time.

How about Holly Hall east of the Dome?

Archived