Raising Cane's Restaurant To Open

tw2ntyse7en

Raising Cane's Restaurant To Open In Houston:

Houston Architecture Information Blogs

By: Glen S. Mears Jr.

March 4th, 2005

The new Raising Cane's restaurant is set to open soon on Houston's westside along Westheimer just east of Dairy Ashford. The restaurant is owned by Louisiana native Todd Graves, who after graduating LSU decided to open his own restaurant. After failing to impress all the local banks with his original idea to open a fast food restaurant specializing in fried chicken tenders, he decided to raise the capital himself.

Graves moved to Los Angeles and worked 90 hours weeks as a boilermaker for a short time before meeting a gentleman by the name of "Wild Bill". Wild Bill told Graves to go to Alaska, where fishing brought in big money. Graves soon left for Alaska to work on a Sockeye Salmon commerical fishing boat. This is considered a very dangerous job due to the tretcherous weather up north along with the 20 hour work days and boats constantly ramming each other, jockeying for the best net-casting position . After working for a few years, he had saved up enough money to use as a down-payment to his dream.

He moved back to Baton Rouge, Louisiana and was able to use his captial to secure the loan. He then built the first "Rasing Cane's" in an old rundown building at the entrance to LSU. On August 26th, 1996, Todd Graves opened the first "Raising Cane's" restaurant.

The restaurant features a menu almost entirely of chicken. The house speciality is fried chicken tenders, french fries, cole slaw, garlic bread, and Raising Cane's secret dipping sauce (just imagine a wicked mix of: mayo, katsup & Tony Chachere's seasoning - oooohhh weee! :D)

The name of the restaurant is sweet story itself. Graves was going to originally name the restaurant "Sockeye's" as a tribute to how he raised the money to start his business, but was quickly talked out of it by his friends who let him know how horrible the name was. He then came up with the name "Raising Cane's" after his beautiful golden lab (a must for any wetlands hunter in Louisiana I might add ;)) who he simply called "Cane".

You can go to Raising Cane's Homepage to learn more information about the restaurant.

Edited by tw2ntyse7en

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raising Cane's Restaurant To Open In Houston:

Houston Architecture Information Blogs

By: Glen S. Mears Jr.

March 4th, 2005

The new Raising Cane's restaurant is set to open soon on Houston's westside along Westheimer just east of Dairy Ashford. The restaurant is owned by Louisiana native Todd Graves, who after graduating LSU decided to open his own restaurant. After failing to impress all the local banks with his original idea to open a fast food restaurant specializing in fried chicken tenders, he decided to raise the capital himself.

Graves moved to Los Angeles and worked 90 hours weeks as a boilermaker for a short time before meeting a gentleman by the name of "Wild Bill". Wild Bill told Graves to go to Alaska, where fishing brought in big money. Graves soon left for Alaska to work on a Sockeye Salmon commerical fishing boat. This is considered a very dangerous job due to the tretcherous weather up north along with the 20 hour work days and boats constantly ramming each other, jockeying for the best net-casting position . After working for a few years, he had saved up enough money to use as a down-payment to his dream.

He moved back to Baton Rouge, Louisiana and was able to use his captial to secure the loan. He then built the first "Rasing Cane's" in an old rundown building at the entrance to LSU. On August 26th, 1996, Todd Graves opened the first "Raising Cane's" restaurant.

The restaurant features a menu almost entirely of chicken. The house speciality is Fried Chicken Tenders, french fries, cole slaw, garlic bread, and Raising Cane's secret dipping sauce (just imagine a wicked mix of: mayo, katsup & Tony Chachere's seasoning - oooohhh weee! :D)

The name of the restaurant is sweet story itself. Graves was going to originally name the restuarant "Sockeye's" as a tribute to how he raised the money to start his business, but was quickly talked out of it by his friends who let him know how horrible the name was. He then came up with the name "Raising Cane's" after his beautiful golden lab (a must for any wetlands hunter in Louisiana I might add ;)) who he simply called "Cane".

You can go to Raising Cane's Homepage to learn more information about the restaurant.

This seems like the kind of unimaginative restaurant that will last 6 months, then permanently curse its location for all future tennants. Don't we have enough of this kind of schlock?

You're kidding right? Enough of "this kind of schlock"? Exactly what type of "schlock" is this? If you actually spent five minutes at the website, or have ever ate there you wouldn't be so quick to judge. I have to say that I'm really disappointed.

For the record - this is a very imaginative concept. Unlike using capital to open another Tacobell or McDonald's as most people do, the man created something new - from scratch.

You're kidding right? Enough of "this kind of schlock"? Exactly what type of "schlock" is this? If you actually spent five minutes at the website, or have ever ate there you wouldn't be so quick to judge. I have to say that I'm really disappointed.

For the record - this is a very imaginative concept. Unlike using capital to open another Tacobell or McDonald's as most people do, the man created something new - from scratch.

site doesn't work

It's to many fast food restaurants competition in Houston, especailly chicken. It looks like a nice concept, but the competition here is very strong. Yes, it would be wonders in the state of louisiana, but here in houston, in the state of texas, its to many of these kind of concepts. This owner better open up more then just one in houston if he thinks he's going to make a profit.

Opening up an new restaurant here in houston is very shakely. People going to come to the new restaurant, yes, but will the people continue to come back? That's what a owner have to look at. Just like you trying to open up a seafood restaurant here, you will get creamed! Cause look at all of the different types of seafood places here; pappas, pappasdeaux, landrys, red lobster, etc. I can go on and on, with big major eateries, and small concept eateries. People goes to pappas no matter what. That place be packed 7 days a week, and if it was a 24hrs place, it will be packed 24hrs. Those places like these going to stay forever.

I hope this new resturant (Raising Caine's) will do good in this strong market. I wish him well.

I think it will. Many people don't realize how many people move here from LSU, ULL, MSU, & the like. These people, just like myself crave Louisiana food. I see countless Louisiana license plates & various Louisiana university stickers on cars all along Westheimer. I don't think theres going to be any shortage of people wanting to eat a little home cooking.

I've eaten here many times and can tell you that this place is better than home cooking. This place is nothing like Popeyes, Churches, Hartz, Timmy Chan's, Frenchy's, KFC, or any of the typical chicken shacks here in Houston.

He has about 15 locations throughout Louisiana and Mississippi. I was quite surprised to find that he was building here in Houston, no less Westheimer. I don't think he would have built here unless he had done the research.

I'm actually shocked at all the skeptism found here over this topic. Had I known that it would have received a negative review, I might not have posted it in the first place. I'm a little heated over dalparadise's comment about it being "shlock". I can tell by the way he posted he hasn't even ever ate there. How sad to so quickly pass judgement. -_-

I LOVE Chicken and being so close to Westheimer and Dairy Ashford I definately GOTTA check this place out!! :)

I usually don't go to places unheard but if its a chain I'll definately go for it!

But I think he does have a run in with Chick Fil A though as far as chicken goes.

anyway I will see. What do the prices run on this place btw?

Around 4.50 - 5.50 for a combo, but you definately get your fill. As I mentioned earlier, it comes with 4 tenders, fries, cole slaw, garlic bread & drink. Plus you can get bigger orders.

Its been over a year since I last ate there, but I still remember how good it was. :)

Sysco tenders are the best. I've often thought about a way to bulk order them for myself. There was this italian deli in Lake Charles that made a chicken marinara with those chicken tenders that was just to kill for. Well, I figured out the marinara - but still no tenders. :(

That and of course those Tillamook beefjerky stands in mini-marts with the fresh Teriyaki sticks. I've also thought about seeing if I could have a stand put up in my apartment! :lol:

Sysco tenders are the best. I've often thought about a way to bulk order them for myself. There was this italian deli in Lake Charles that made a chicken marinara with those chicken tenders that was just to kill for. Well, I figured out the marinara - but still no tenders. :(

That and of course those Tillamook beefjerky stands in mini-marts with the fresh Teriyaki sticks. I've also thought about seeing if I could have a stand put up in my apartment! :lol:

The tenders we put on our Chicken Tender sandwiches and plate dinners have a little touch of honey to them. :9

Yummy!!

I guarntee you don't leave work hungry!!! LOL!!

Spent time on the Web site. Still seems boring. Sorry, I'm not trying to be confrontational, but I really think places like this detract from our city rather than add to it. The logic that we can only have this or Taco Bell also seems awfully screwy. What exactly was your point there?

This seems well suited to Bryan-College Station or Lake Charles -- the kinds of towns where people get excited about "simple" concepts and "simple" menus.

The point behind my "screwy logic" is that instead of just taking his money and buying into the big franchise monsters - he went out and created something new & original. Somehow you looked right past that and just assumed that this restaurant is going to lower the value of the neighborhood. Not everyone has the capital to open a 3 star restaurant. Landrys & the Pappa's family didn't start off with fine dining - they ended up with them. Another example would to put down Al Copeland for his chain of Popeyes. But if it wasn't for his chain of Popeyes he could have never open his Copeland's Steakhouses & Copeland's Cheesecake Bistros.

I understand that you're skeptical, but what exactly would you put your stamp of approval on thats being built here in Houston? Also, by saying that this restaurant is going to detract from the city rather than add to it, would you rather that he not brought his business here at all? I'm baffled as your statements make you sound like you only approve of fine gourmet dining establishments for this city. Thats kinda' snobbish don't you think?

I guess you don't have to rely on fast food like the rest of us. For myself and my wife, who both work 80+ hours each weekly, we just don't have time at 8-9pm to cook dinner or spend $40.00 dollars nightly on gourmet food. But please, tell me what its like. In the mean time, I'll have my trashy, simple-minded, country-ass at the nearest drive-thru trying to catch a meal. <_<

Also, please enlighten me with some more examples of Houston "schlock".

The point behind my "screwy logic" is that instead of just taking his money and buying into the big franchise monsters - he went out and created something new & original. Somehow you looked right past that and just assumed that this restaurant is going to lower the value of the neighborhood. Not everyone has the capital to open a 3 star restaurant. Landrys & the Pappa's family didn't start off with fine dining - they ended up with them. Another example would to put down Al Copeland for his chain of Popeyes. But if it wasn't for his chain of Popeyes he could have never open his Copeland's Steakhouses & Copeland's Cheesecake Bistros.

I understand that you're skeptical, but what exactly would you put your stamp of approval on thats being built here in Houston? Also, by saying that this restaurant is going to detract from the city rather than add to it, would you rather that he not brought his business here at all? I'm baffled as your statements make you sound like you only approve of fine gourmet dining establishments for this city. Thats kinda' snobbish don't you think?

I guess you don't have to rely on fast food like the rest of us. For myself and my wife, who both work 80+ hours each weekly, we just don't have time at 8-9pm to cook dinner or spend $40.00 dollars nightly on gourmet food. But please, tell me what its like. In the mean time, I'll have my trashy, simple-minded, country-ass at the nearest drive-thru trying to catch a meal.

Its not a flame war, we're having an arguement.

Dal - I don't have beef with you, I have beef with your idea that these types of restaurants are detrimental to Houston.

I also wanted you to give me some examples of past restaurants or businesses that you considered "schlock", that are comparible to Raising Cane's and have actually been detrimental to Houston.

Ps - You're right, I am country, but that doesn't mean I'm not classy. I would be the last one you'd pick out of a redneck line-up. I would also be the last one you'd ever have a simple conversation with. Don't mistake my blunt honesty for uneducation. -_-

Ps - You're right, I am country, but that doesn't mean I'm not classy. I would be the last one you'd pick out of a redneck line-up. I would also be the last one you'd ever have a simple conversation with. Don't mistake my blunt honesty for uneducation. -_-

Again, you're taking this personally -- a very simple way to interpret what I said, I might add -- I never said you were country. You did. What I said was, that by defending your position that this place is such a great addition to our city by saying "trashy, simple, country-ass" people need places like this, proved my point.

Examples of schlock (restaurant and otherwise) that have no place in this city:

Whataburger -- say what you will, but it's slow, greasy, inefficient and folksy. I believe a good, simple hamburger joint can be the trademark of a car-culture city -- see In and Out Burger in LA -- simple, but high quality. Whataburger uses processed vegetables and aspires to be another Dairy Queen. It sucks, but most people in Texas accept it, for some strange reason. Christ, even Wendy's will put a fresh piece of lettuce on a burger!

Dairy Queen -- the dirty Whataburger.

Wal-mart -- their coutry, yet meglomaniacal sensibility would be humorous, if it weren't so tragic. Why anyone would set foot -- often *bare*foot, I'm told -- in one of these places is a mystery to me. I actually bought a video game there over the holidays, while visiting relatives. I was surprised by the slackjawwed clientele and the stacks of useless crap for sale. I really thought people were just exaggerating. It's not about good deals -- it's about instant gratification for a class of people who've never been able to have it before. I truly believe it's a sign our society is crumbling.

Krispy Kreme -- I don't get it. The doughnuts are terrible, Shipley's is even more country, but has a great product. Krispy Kreme is Krispy Krap.

The Rodeo trail ride -- This is long overdue for the axe. I'll grant you the rodeo, because it has a certain charm and I can choose not to go. I've been once, for Bob Dylan. But to shut down a city on a Friday and Saturday for horses? C'mon. This is a PR nightmare for a city struggling to present an image of a progressive place. If you want to ride livestock, keep it outside the loop, outside my park and off my streets. I don't care about your group, history or cause. I want to get home. I can't tell you how offensive it is to try to logically conceive of a traffic jam resulting from Trigger throwing a shoe.

Dave and Busters -- this is for people who've set the bar so low they're actually attracted by the notion of one-stop shopping, when it comes to entertainment. How can something so devoid of character possibly be entertaining? And look at the people in there! Holy Mother of God, what an inbred mix of the weirdest toofuses, steakheads and mulletdomes. Bad food. No service. An arcade, for Chrissake. C'mon.

Johnny Carino's -- My mother, from Tyler, swears by this place, so I thought I'd try it. My wife and I got the stink-eye for ordering a bottle of wine. The waitress didn't open it right, nor did she pour it properly. The waitress reminded me that, if we didn't finish it, she would cork it up to take home with us. I said jokingly, "you obviously have no idea who dealing with -- we'll let you know if we need a second bottle". This must have convinced her I was drunk, because at the end of the meal, this rube was a bit overly aggressive on the "are you safe to drive?" kick. I appreciate the thought, but her inexperience handling a bottle of wine made me feel like I was in East Texas. The food was a step below Stouffer's re-heat, too.

Now, a few places that are simple in their concept and execution(restaurant and otherwise), but good for the urban environment:

Chik-Fil-A

Texadelphia

Target

Chacho's

West Alabama Ice House

Sloane Hall

Key Maps of Houston

27, What are smoking? Sysco is nasty. How can you promote a good concept like Raising Cane's coming to town to sell chicken tenders and then tell me that Sysco frozen chicken tenders are the best? I hope Raising Cane's chicken tenders are fresh, not frozen like your gourmet Sysco favorites. I checked out the Raising Cane website and it sounds like a good concept with good food, I look forward to going through the drive-thru next time that I'm on that side of town.

Also, I know you've got like 1,100 posts in a few months but don't get in a pissing contest with dalparadise, he's way to smart and you will get "PUNKED" dalp style.

Dream

This is where it all went sour:

The logic that we can only have this or Taco Bell also seems awfully screwy. What exactly was your point there?

My point was that with the money he had, he could have either bought into any of the major franchises, and help them add another homogenized dot onto their map of globalization. Instead, he took a chance as an entrepenuer and this is the result.

I agree with you that places like Chili's, Applebee's, Johnny Carino's and (my least favorite) Olive Garden are needless. They, in my opinion, are no better than the hundreds of Burger Kings, McDonalds, or Whatburgers scattered across the city. This is why I am excited about this restaurant. It is not like those listed above. 20 years from now however, it might not be. Right now, it is. It just depends on the growth and management of the company.

I could go on and list dozens of restaurants and stores that I think would fit into your shlock catagory. Some you would disagree as there are some you think aren't - that I think are, and of course vice versa.

And this:

This seems well suited to Bryan-College Station or Lake Charles -- the kinds of towns where people get excited about "simple" concepts and "simple" menus.

I took this to mean that you thought that I was too simple to understand your concept of an urban environment, being that I was from Lake Charles. Which at the time made sense as I recieved a number of pm's asking me: why the insults? Furthermore, I was having a very bad day, coupled with the frustration of you not answering the schlock question, and the (what seemed to be) obvious insults, then led to my "country-ass" rant.

Like I said, I had no beef with you, just your lack of explanation for why you catagorized the restaurant as schlock and lack of examples to back your assertion. Now that you've explained it, I'm all hunky-dory. :)

I agree with you that places like Chili's, Applebee's, Johnny Carino's and (my least favorite) Olive Garden are needless.

Say what you want about Applebee's, Johnny Carino's and Olive Garden, but I just can't imagine not having our family's favorite, CHILI'S, in the Houston area! :D

Say what you want about Applebee's, Johnny Carino's and Olive Garden, but I just can't imagine not having our family's favorite, CHILI'S, in the Houston area!  :D

Well, I'll have to grudgingly agree with you on Chili's. As much as we try to avoid that place, we always end up there! I guess I could have left it off the list. The other ones however are seriously lacking. And there are at least another 20 I could add to that list.