Raising Cane's Restaurant To Open

tw2ntyse7en

Sysco tenders are the best. I've often thought about a way to bulk order them for myself. There was this italian deli in Lake Charles that made a chicken marinara with those chicken tenders that was just to kill for. Well, I figured out the marinara - but still no tenders. :(

27, What are smoking? Sysco is nasty. How can you promote a good concept like Raising Cane's coming to town to sell chicken tenders and then tell me that Sysco frozen chicken tenders are the best? I hope Raising Cane's chicken tenders are fresh, not frozen like your gourmet Sysco favorites. I checked out the Raising Cane website and it sounds like a good concept with good food, I look forward to going through the drive-thru next time that I'm on that side of town.

Dream

It depends on how the food is prepared as well. Sysco only manufactorers the food but sysco is so international that top notch chefs will use it and you would never know the difference.

I eat enough of it that 2 different people cook with Sysco products and they each have a different outcome.

Its also ones preference to a certain food.

Another supplier for chicken tenders is:

Okay Foods (I think that's their name)

or Dallas based, "Ben E. Keith" -they have some YUMMY sweet potatoes!!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest danax
The Rodeo trail ride -- This is long overdue for the axe.

Key Maps of Houston

I agree that this seems to be a holdover from the past when demographics were more country, now it's sort of an untouchable sacred cow relic perhaps.

As for Raising Cane's; I hope the guy does well. Dalp, you're ranting was funny but cmon, do we have to be so pompous? Obviously, there are a lot of people who like chicken dinners so the place has a chance and the downhome cookin theme is pretty popular apparently. I've been spending a lot of time in Spring/Humble and the Golden Corral is packed everytime I pass by. It's next to Wal-Mart so that could be why :) . Also, there's one on 1960 called "Potatoe Patch" (yes, that's the correct spelling and no, I don't think it's Dan Qualye's place) opening up in a new spot and the sign declares "fried green tomatoes and throw'd rolls". I took my son to the Monster Trucks and lemme tell ya, there are rednecks in Houston. My mother and my aunt came out from CA, stayed near Hobby, and ventured out east of there in their rent-a-car into the Pasa-git-down-dena area and found a restaurant that had a menu that served "eggs and meat". They still crack up about that.

Houston is not San Francisco. I would try the place Glen, but I'm a snobby vege-tahh-rian B)

Come on now, the Trail Ride Parade is part of what makes Houston unique, not to mention a major attraction for a significant demographic group of the city and surrounding area. Believe it or not, there are a lot of people who come to Houston once a year for the parade and the rodeo. Get rid of those events and we lose those tourists.

I believe the city can still be "world class" and urban without getting rid of traditions that reflect a time when this was more of an old west outpost than it is now. I may be able to see your point on some of the chain restaurants that are everywhere, but why get rid of one of the things that makes the city truly unique?

Besides no one said you had to go to those events. I for one like the rodeo, and I'm one of the least country people you'll ever encounter. Yet I can still find it entertaining and fun.

One of the things I love about Houston is the fact that it's such a blend of things that are cosmopolitan and urban with other things that reflect our Texas and southern heritage.

As for Raising Cane's; I hope the guy does well. Dalp, you're ranting was funny but cmon, do we have to be so pompous? Obviously, there are a lot of people who like chicken dinners so the place has a chance and the downhome cookin theme is pretty popular apparently.

Houston is not San Francisco. I would try the place Glen, but I'm a snobby vege-tahh-rian B)

Thanks for being a voice of reason. I thought I was all alone out there.. :)

Come on now, the Trail Ride Parade is part of what makes Houston unique, not to mention a major attraction for a significant demographic group of the city and surrounding area. Believe it or not, there are a lot of people who come to Houston once a year for the parade and the rodeo. Get rid of those events and we lose those tourists.

I believe the city can still be "world class" and urban without getting rid of traditions that reflect a time when this was more of an old west outpost than it is now. I may be able to see your point on some of the chain restaurants that are everywhere, but why get rid of one of the things that makes the city truly unique?

Besides no one said you had to go to those events. I for one like the rodeo, and I'm one of the least country people you'll ever encounter. Yet I can still find it entertaining and fun.

One of the things I love about Houston is the fact that it's such a blend of things that are cosmopolitan and urban with other things that reflect our Texas and southern heritage.

For the record, I'm only against the trailriders. Re-read, or perhaps read for the first time, my post. I concede the rodeo for the very reasons you redundantly list...and I am the one who said I can choose not to go. I don't go, because I believe it is cruel to animals -- namely, the ones in the audience.

I agree that this seems to be a holdover from the past when demographics were more country, now it's sort of an untouchable sacred cow relic perhaps.

As for Raising Cane's; I hope the guy does well. Dalp, you're ranting was funny but cmon, do we have to be so pompous? Obviously, there are a lot of people who like chicken dinners so the place has a chance and the downhome cookin theme is pretty popular apparently. I've been spending a lot of time in Spring/Humble and the Golden Corral is packed everytime I pass by. It's next to Wal-Mart so that could be why :) . Also, there's one on 1960 called "Potatoe Patch" (yes, that's the correct spelling and no, I don't think it's Dan Qualye's place) opening up in a new spot and the sign declares "fried green tomatoes and throw'd rolls". I took my son to the Monster Trucks and lemme tell ya, there are rednecks in Houston. My mother and my aunt came out from CA, stayed near Hobby, and ventured out east of there in their rent-a-car into the Pasa-git-down-dena area and found a restaurant that had a menu that served "eggs and meat". They still crack up about that.

All the stuff you list is in the country. What's your point?

Ps - You're right, I am country, but that doesn't mean I'm not classy. I would be the last one you'd pick out of a redneck line-up. I would also be the last one you'd ever have a simple conversation with. Don't mistake my blunt honesty for uneducation. -_-

Again, you're taking this personally -- a very simple way to interpret what I said, I might add -- I never said you were country. You did. What I said was, that by defending your position that this place is such a great addition to our city by saying "trashy, simple, country-ass" people need places like this, proved my point.

Examples of schlock (restaurant and otherwise) that have no place in this city:

Whataburger -- say what you will, but it's slow, greasy, inefficient and folksy. I believe a good, simple hamburger joint can be the trademark of a car-culture city -- see In and Out Burger in LA -- simple, but high quality. Whataburger uses processed vegetables and aspires to be another Dairy Queen. It sucks, but most people in Texas accept it, for some strange reason. Christ, even Wendy's will put a fresh piece of lettuce on a burger!

Dairy Queen -- the dirty Whataburger.

Wal-mart -- their coutry, yet meglomaniacal sensibility would be humorous, if it weren't so tragic. Why anyone would set foot -- often *bare*foot, I'm told -- in one of these places is a mystery to me. I actually bought a video game there over the holidays, while visiting relatives. I was surprised by the slackjawwed clientele and the stacks of useless crap for sale. I really thought people were just exaggerating. It's not about good deals -- it's about instant gratification for a class of people who've never been able to have it before. I truly believe it's a sign our society is crumbling.

Krispy Kreme -- I don't get it. The doughnuts are terrible, Shipley's is even more country, but has a great product. Krispy Kreme is Krispy Krap.

The Rodeo trail ride -- This is long overdue for the axe. I'll grant you the rodeo, because it has a certain charm and I can choose not to go. I've been once, for Bob Dylan. But to shut down a city on a Friday and Saturday for horses? C'mon. This is a PR nightmare for a city struggling to present an image of a progressive place. If you want to ride livestock, keep it outside the loop, outside my park and off my streets. I don't care about your group, history or cause. I want to get home. I can't tell you how offensive it is to try to logically conceive of a traffic jam resulting from Trigger throwing a shoe.

Dave and Busters -- this is for people who've set the bar so low they're actually attracted by the notion of one-stop shopping, when it comes to entertainment. How can something so devoid of character possibly be entertaining? And look at the people in there! Holy Mother of God, what an inbred mix of the weirdest toofuses, steakheads and mulletdomes. Bad food. No service. An arcade, for Chrissake. C'mon.

Johnny Carino's -- My mother, from Tyler, swears by this place, so I thought I'd try it. My wife and I got the stink-eye for ordering a bottle of wine. The waitress didn't open it right, nor did she pour it properly. The waitress reminded me that, if we didn't finish it, she would cork it up to take home with us. I said jokingly, "you obviously have no idea who dealing with -- we'll let you know if we need a second bottle". This must have convinced her I was drunk, because at the end of the meal, this rube was a bit overly aggressive on the "are you safe to drive?" kick. I appreciate the thought, but her inexperience handling a bottle of wine made me feel like I was in East Texas. The food was a step below Stouffer's re-heat, too.

Now, a few places that are simple in their concept and execution(restaurant and otherwise), but good for the urban environment:

Chik-Fil-A

Texadelphia

Target

Chacho's

West Alabama Ice House

Sloane Hall

Key Maps of Houston

Sloane Hall is a great store with some awesome items. I have to say that the rodeo trail ride is one of my favorite events of the year. I have never been, but it just exudes Texana.

Johnny Carino's should be known as Johnny Crapinos. I guess some people in suburbia or small town Texas don't have or don't know of any other options.

Guest danax
All the stuff you list is in the country. What's your point?

My point? That there are plenty of people that like "country" cuisine and even if the country types live mostly in the outlying areas, in a city as large as Houston, you've got to figure that some of them actually live in the city and others at least ride into town once in awhile.

Anyone ever been to Longhorn Cafe?

We hit the one in Houston Center now and then. It's otay for a $17 lunch. Sure beats the Twisted Fork.

Back to Chick-Fil-A. What kills me is that people line up in the drive thru twenty to thrity cars deep for fried chicken. Like it's healthy or somehthing. All the while polluting the environment while the bad kids watch Baby Einstein on the DVD player.

I hate that place.

Ps - You're right, I am country, but that doesn't mean I'm not classy. I would be the last one you'd pick out of a redneck line-up. I would also be the last one you'd ever have a simple conversation with. Don't mistake my blunt honesty for uneducation. -_-

Again, you're taking this personally -- a very simple way to interpret what I said, I might add -- I never said you were country. You did. What I said was, that by defending your position that this place is such a great addition to our city by saying "trashy, simple, country-ass" people need places like this, proved my point.

Examples of schlock (restaurant and otherwise) that have no place in this city:

Whataburger -- say what you will, but it's slow, greasy, inefficient and folksy. I believe a good, simple hamburger joint can be the trademark of a car-culture city -- see In and Out Burger in LA -- simple, but high quality. Whataburger uses processed vegetables and aspires to be another Dairy Queen. It sucks, but most people in Texas accept it, for some strange reason. Christ, even Wendy's will put a fresh piece of lettuce on a burger!

Dairy Queen -- the dirty Whataburger.

Wal-mart -- their coutry, yet meglomaniacal sensibility would be humorous, if it weren't so tragic. Why anyone would set foot -- often *bare*foot, I'm told -- in one of these places is a mystery to me. I actually bought a video game there over the holidays, while visiting relatives. I was surprised by the slackjawwed clientele and the stacks of useless crap for sale. I really thought people were just exaggerating. It's not about good deals -- it's about instant gratification for a class of people who've never been able to have it before. I truly believe it's a sign our society is crumbling.

Krispy Kreme -- I don't get it. The doughnuts are terrible, Shipley's is even more country, but has a great product. Krispy Kreme is Krispy Krap.

The Rodeo trail ride -- This is long overdue for the axe. I'll grant you the rodeo, because it has a certain charm and I can choose not to go. I've been once, for Bob Dylan. But to shut down a city on a Friday and Saturday for horses? C'mon. This is a PR nightmare for a city struggling to present an image of a progressive place. If you want to ride livestock, keep it outside the loop, outside my park and off my streets. I don't care about your group, history or cause. I want to get home. I can't tell you how offensive it is to try to logically conceive of a traffic jam resulting from Trigger throwing a shoe.

Dave and Busters -- this is for people who've set the bar so low they're actually attracted by the notion of one-stop shopping, when it comes to entertainment. How can something so devoid of character possibly be entertaining? And look at the people in there! Holy Mother of God, what an inbred mix of the weirdest toofuses, steakheads and mulletdomes. Bad food. No service. An arcade, for Chrissake. C'mon.

Johnny Carino's -- My mother, from Tyler, swears by this place, so I thought I'd try it. My wife and I got the stink-eye for ordering a bottle of wine. The waitress didn't open it right, nor did she pour it properly. The waitress reminded me that, if we didn't finish it, she would cork it up to take home with us. I said jokingly, "you obviously have no idea who dealing with -- we'll let you know if we need a second bottle". This must have convinced her I was drunk, because at the end of the meal, this rube was a bit overly aggressive on the "are you safe to drive?" kick. I appreciate the thought, but her inexperience handling a bottle of wine made me feel like I was in East Texas. The food was a step below Stouffer's re-heat, too.

Now, a few places that are simple in their concept and execution(restaurant and otherwise), but good for the urban environment:

Chik-Fil-A

Texadelphia

Target

Chacho's

West Alabama Ice House

Sloane Hall

Key Maps of Houston

I think your list is rather subjective. I personally think Dairy Queen is awesome. I grew up eating at the one at Seagler @ Westhiemer. In fact the onwers still recognize me 15 years later. I also have dined at over many of Houston's finest establishments (Cafe Annie, Mark's, Tony's etc) so it is not like I am a simple person who only eats fast food.

The Rodeo is a Houston tradition. I am sorry if it gets in your way, but the entire Livestock Show and Rodeo is a tremendous source of pride for this city. It seperates us from the rest of the country. Just because it is a cowboy theme does not make us all hicks.

Dave and Busters fills a niche. I am not into it either, but there are plenty of places I do not care to visit. That does not mean those places need to be torn down. I think you missed the whole point behind this place. D&B is an arcade. That is the concept. They added food, drink, and pool to make it more enjoyable and a one stop shop for entertainment. If you do not like it THEN STAY AWAY.

Back to the original topic: I would like to try Raising Canes. I bet it would be good. Granted the menu is extremely limited, but they are trying to specialize and I think that is cool. Right now when I want really good Fried Chicken I brave the neighborhood and hit Frenchy's by UH. There is nothing better if you ask me.

Boy, were you reading my mind?! I've always loved Frenchy's by U of H. I need to go visit my niece who's in school at U of H anyway, so maybe I'll hit it this weekend. Every time I go out there, I need a roadmap. That school is SOOO different from when I was there, oh so long ago. :lol:

Boy, were you reading my mind?! I've always loved Frenchy's by U of H. I need to go visit my niece who's in school at U of H anyway, so maybe I'll hit it this weekend. Every time I go out there, I need a roadmap. That school is SOOO different from when I was there, oh so long ago. :lol:

I went to night school there for my MBA a few years back. I used to eat Frenchy's at least once a month. I was once called a "Cracker" by one of the workers after I looked into my bag to make sure all the items were there. The chicken wings freaking rule and are worth risking life and limb. Many times I have been the only caucasion in the whole place, but I alway felt somewhat safe.

I'm smiling as I read your post, that is sooo true! I guess I always felt safe (perhaps naively) because it was so close to campus, and there always seemed to be a lot of fellow students coming and going at all hours. I have to add that I have yet to taste better fries than what comes out of their fryer anywhere else. :wub:

this sounds like a bad place to put this but I LOVE Chik Fil A but I won't wait in a 6 car drive thru for it! Every once and a while I eat it not too often but even still its still very good to me.

Whataburger, I love their Whatachicken

Dairy Queen-haven't been in SO SO LONG!

Taco Cabana-Sure grossed out cr** food!!

I think your list is rather subjective. I personally think Dairy Queen is awesome. I grew up eating at the one at Seagler @ Westhiemer. In fact the onwers still recognize me 15 years later. I also have dined at over many of Houston's finest establishments (Cafe Annie, Mark's, Tony's etc) so it is not like I am a simple person who only eats fast food.

****Thinking the fact you've had dinner at a certain place proves you're not simple is a very simple notion.

The Rodeo is a Houston tradition. I am sorry if it gets in your way, but the entire Livestock Show and Rodeo is a tremendous source of pride for this city. It seperates us from the rest of the country. Just because it is a cowboy theme does not make us all hicks.

****Once again -- I said nothing about doing away with the rodeo except that I'd prefer to avoid it. As for seperating (sic) us from the rest of the country -- could there be a stronger argument against it?

Dave and Busters fills a niche. I am not into it either, but there are plenty of places I do not care to visit. That does not mean those places need to be torn down. I think you missed the whole point behind this place. D&B is an arcade. That is the concept. They added food, drink, and pool to make it more enjoyable and a one stop shop for entertainment. If you do not like it THEN STAY AWAY.

****Dave and Buster's niche is for simple people. I do stay away. We seem to agree that it's of little or no benefit. Why the attitude about a place you're "not into"?

Back to the original topic: I would like to try Raising Canes. I bet it would be good. Granted the menu is extremely limited, but they are trying to specialize and I think that is cool. Right now when I want really good Fried Chicken I brave the neighborhood and hit Frenchy's by UH. There is nothing better if you ask me.

****I didn't, but I do agree with you. Frenchy's is great. I doubt Raising Cane's will have one iota the appeal Frenchy's does. I'm a UH grad. There was a time when I ate a lot of Frenchy's.

I told my dad about Raising Canes and he told me if a franschise can do so well in LA/MS then maybe it can do well here. Look at Red Robin (a Chili's knockoff) they are nationwide.

Look at the Kolache Factory that started as an idea here in Houston and is turning into a national phenomeon (as well as get mentioned on the Food Network)

I am glad this guy is expanding out this way and for a change didn't start out in NY/L.A. (I mean not everything that is popular has to come from up north or out west)

I also agree if you don't like "Jillians" -you never said it but its the same concept as D&B (arcade room) then don't go but it is good for teenagers and kids (who HAVE no place to go ...to go hangout. I do admit their food is pricey!

D&B also gives kids a place to go when they want entertainment! Their a bit old for Chuck E. Cheese.

If pool is your thing and you don't want it attached to a arcade go to Slick Willies.

I don't remember which Dairy Queen I used to go to growing up but I remeber my dad taking me to DQ when he picked me up every other Friday after school and my brother and I would be treated to a "Blizzard" which McDonalds attempts to knock off!

****Thinking the fact you've had dinner at a certain place proves you're not simple is a very simple notion.

****Once again -- I said nothing about doing away with the rodeo except that I'd prefer to avoid it. As for seperating (sic) us from the rest of the country -- could there be a stronger argument against it?

****Dave and Buster's niche is for simple people. I do stay away. We seem to agree that it's of little or no benefit. Why the attitude about a place you're "not into"?

****I didn't, but I do agree with you. Frenchy's is great. I doubt Raising Cane's will have one iota the appeal Frenchy's does. I'm a UH grad. There was a time when I ate a lot of Frenchy's.

You know what is a simple notion? You are a jackass.

Hmm... the Golden Gate Bridge, cable cars, Alcatraz, Castro, Bay to Breakers race, Beach Blanket Babylon, and Fisherman's Warf are all things that separate San Francisco from the rest of the country. Should they get rid of those things?

The Empire State Building, Broadway, MOMA, Guggenheim, Metropolitan Museum of Art, and Times Square make New York unique. Should they get rid of those things too?

And while we're at it, let's kill off everything else in every city that is unique to that city and not done anywhere else in quite the same way. Let's make everything totally homogenous and bland.

As for the rodeo, sure it causes major traffic headaches in my neighborhood for a couple of weeks each spring, and it's a big attraction for the "country" crowd. However I'm not the least bit country but I have always had a good time attending the rodeo and/or parade. I'm glad we have it. It is one of the things this city is known for, and getting rid of those events would hurt Houston's image far more than it would help it.

Hmm... the Golden Gate Bridge, cable cars, Alcatraz, Castro, Bay to Breakers race, Beach Blanket Babylon, and Fisherman's Warf are all things that separate San Francisco from the rest of the country. Should they get rid of those things?

The Empire State Building, Broadway, MOMA, Guggenheim, Metropolitan Museum of Art, and Times Square make New York unique. Should they get rid of those things too?

And while we're at it, let's kill off everything else in every city that is unique to that city and not done anywhere else in quite the same way. Let's make everything totally homogenous and bland.

As for the rodeo, sure it causes major traffic headaches in my neighborhood for a couple of weeks each spring, and it's a big attraction for the "country" crowd. However I'm not the least bit country but I have always had a good time attending the rodeo and/or parade. I'm glad we have it. It is one of the things this city is known for, and getting rid of those events would hurt Houston's image far more than it would help it.

I still don't think you understand what I was saying. Or, you're just trying to be difficult. Or, both. Either way, I'm bored now.

What is ugly is in Central Park those yellow flag designs! I mean I am glad those are going down. I may not live in NY but it totally ruins the look of Central Park (I think)

"Isn't it located near a cemetary? " (quote, citykid09)

this question seems simple enough to answer and not draw a flame. yes, the cemetary is located at dairy ashford & westheimer, called forest park westheimer.

raising cane's will definately be something we'll try, since the kids are crazy about anything chicken. right now they're hooked on kfc's popcorn chicken and it's expensive and weird. a million years ago there was a place called "grandy's" and they served chicken and rolls that were pretty good, along with soggy veggies and fries that were not so good.

27, i hear what you say about crazy hours and playing the "what's for supper" game at 8pm. i have eliminated burger places from my take-out list, as well as taco bell/cabana and most other fast-food places. we get pizza delivered from barry's (pretty good), sandwiches from jason's deli, burgers from princes and occasionaly chinese food. since i do not eat meat (or chicken/fish) the places i buy from must have something vegetarian, and since everyone here is on a different schedule dining out is usually not an option.

being from louisinana you obviously have a personal interest in this new place and there is nothing wrong with that (represent!) - living in the westchase district you have another reason to cheer on a new business. i think it's important to remember that a new eatery cannot depend on people driving over from across town - it's great if they will - but it is primarily the locals that will make or break a place (anyone who's been to dodo's chicken will understand this). the owner of raising cane's obviously took care of the marketing aspects and knows this is a part of town that is blooming. if the food, service and atmosphere work out the place should be a success.

deb martin

Well, I don't think Sub was referring to Citykid's question of location and reference to the cemetary. I think he was referring to Dal's negative comments and my defensive position on them.

As for your post Deb, you hit my stance right on the head. Good shootin' "Tex". ;)

There's another Burger-joint I'm going to plug pretty soon, as I've heard that its finally made it to Houston (somewhere on the northside I've been told). Its called Backyard Burger. They use only angus beef, fresh vegetables (for burgers, sandwiches & salads), and fresh waffle cut potatoes (fries). Its about $6.00 for a combo, but it is so damn tasty and gourmet that its worth every penny! I'll post a thread on that later if I get around to it. For now, here's the link: Backyard Burger Homepage

It's up on Research Forest in the woodlands, hidden behind some trees. Never see much business up there at that restaurant, but there's one nearby called Carvers or something like that. They serve something called "Butter Burgers", we tried them once, none of us were very impressed but they also have soft-serve ice cream and the like, and an outdoor patio area that looks nice. The place is always packed with families and teens. And it's more visible from the street, plus they were there first. We'll see what happens with the "burger wars" there. :rolleyes: