new MetroRail map

roadrunner

Man it would be nice if some portions of the new lines Downtown could have been subway... but that is obviously too expensive. I'm also not sure about how the new lines will be in unprotected lanes on Capitol and Rusk, this system definitely will not be very efficient. Oh well.

The squiggle over to Texas Ave. by GRB will also have an interesting impact on how that land can be developed on the North end of GRB.

I wish it could be a subway, too. They are doing it for DT Dallas. They should for Houston. Better now that later.

You should read up on DART's problems before you use them to buttress your argument for subways. They already missed their construction budget by a billion dollars ($2 Billion instead of $1 Billion), and it is a sure thing that their subway budget will do the same. IF they ever get around to doing it (there is no current plan in place), it will be WAY down the road.

Maybe I need to stop going by what I read on DallasMetropolis. They make it seem like it is happening for sure and ae even talking about a new East Dallas line that will be in a subway under the Trinity River.

i think we blow by budgets due to the fact that we spend way to much time doing these "environmental studies". I could really care less, as it would more than likely be more beneficial to build a subway rather than have traffic letting off emissions in the streets.

just my two cents.

Edited by CALMSP

Maybe I need to stop going by what I read on DallasMetropolis. They make it seem like it is happening for sure and ae even talking about a new East Dallas line that will be in a subway under the Trinity River.

They may be putting the cart before the horse. Hear's a little article on the obstacles facing DART and downtown Dallas.

http://dallasobserver.com/2008-04-24/news/...ubway-downtown/

I'm just worried all these at-grade rail intersections with the new lines will create a cluster**** at crowded intersections.

I get most annoyed with the Red Line when the train gets stuck behind traffic at lights or in turn lanes... It sounds like these problems will be even worse on these new lines. The price you pay for always staying at street level.

I'm just worried all these at-grade rail intersections with the new lines will create a cluster**** at crowded intersections.

with christof's renderings, the frequency of the current line will increase in the downtown area (new LRT turning to U line) which could exacerbate the problem. it will be interesting to see what actually comes to fruition.

i think we blow by budgets due to the fact that we spend way to much time doing these "environmental studies". I could really care less, as it would more than likely be more beneficial to build a subway rather than have traffic letting off emissions in the streets.

METRO doesn't just chose to do environmental impact statements. They are required by law if you are going to obtain federal money.

Light rail trains let of emissions?

Cars waiting for them to clear intersections do.

Maybe I need to stop going by what I read on DallasMetropolis.

No! What you need to stop doing is reading "plans" studies, and information otherwise not confirmed for development and then taking that information and (re)posting it elsewhere as though it's a confirmed project. You do this often on both HAIF and Dallasmetropolis, and probably other places. Aside from it being foolhardy, and misleading to those who don't know any better, it's rather annoying, IMHO. Just wait until the relevant media is released which confirms the construction of a project then you can go around and repeat it's going to happen all you want. Please remember that developers, governments, and transit agencies change their "plans" all the time.

As for DART's DT "subway," the 2nd DT alignment is currently being "planned," and several options include below-grade rail and stations. While one of these options will probably happen in the next 5-7 years, at this point it is far from certain.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know how to find ridership information on this line?

How many people a day would use this route?

METRO has a guy that handles requests like these. I used to have his contact info but lost it in a hard drive crash last year.

Just call around, eventually you'll find him.