Texas is bigger than France

HtownWxBoy

I totally agree with you there. That's why there has to be a better way. Neither system is perfect, neither will ever be. I do believe it's possible to improve both systems, and I think studying how where other systems work better than our own is the best way to start.

Agreed. Let's drink a Labatt Blue! B)

Well you're right, its not perfect either. I've known people who had to wait a long time to have an important operation in Canada. In the US they could have probably had the same operation sooner, but it would have put them in debt for 10+ years and they would have had to sell their house. I don't think either system is perfect, but I think something in between the two systems might be nice.

That is the thing, a mix of the two systems would be ideal. Quite frankly, I'd rather pay a couple of hundred and go into debt if I had to then to endure a toothache as I've known a couple of people do.

I'm not sure what the rate of fatalities is because of the relative slowness of the Canadian system, but I would guess it is not be as bad as you think. I've never known anybody who has died because of the Canadian system, but I have known people who had to wait.

Well, it is generally a bit difficult to get to know people after the fact. I'm just sayin'. But there have been documented cases in Britain on how the delay in healthcare has caused deaths. in fact there was a newspaper article about it just a few months ago about an appendix screw up or something.

That's possible but I'd rather see some data than anecdotal evidence, however that's not the point I was trying to make. My point was that the Canadian system isn't just good for "routine maintenance", its also good for extreme treatments that most people can't afford here.

The US system might very well be better for less expensive diagnostics like CT scans (MD Anderson charges somewhere on the order of $2500 for one, but I'm not sure how it works with insurance). It's great that you can have a test here quickly that can detect cancer, but the treatment is another story.

One of the main reasons we see quite a few people from overseas here is the fact that it DOES take awhile to get their procedures approved and done. While waiting a while to get a catscan may not SOUND like a big deal, but if you're not feeling well, in pain, and WORRIED on what it might be, you would be a bit anxious to get the thing done.

personally, I don't want the healthcare provided by the government, because that would just be a big major pain as I've seen/heard from other countries. I wouldn't mind a subsidized health insurance.

I wouldn't have any problem if the I paid a 50% of a premium and uncle sam took the rest, but then that would lead to insurance companies increasing their rates.

No plan would work out perfectly.

I think their system of government is better. That is, a parliamentary form of government is better than the two-party system we have down here. If we had their style (or a parliamentary style) of government down here, then the GREEN PARTY would have a real voice (albeit small), the LIBERTARIANS would have a real voice (albeit small). People can be true to their core beliefs, within their party, and then vote their shared core beliefs among several other parities vs. one having to "dilute" (compromise) one's beliefs at the party level to "fit in" Choice A (Republicans) or Choice B (Democrats). Sure, you can be a member of and vote for any party you want in the US - but you're not going to be heard where it counts, on Capitol Hill. Also, their elections can be called at any time, essentially. So if the government isn't working - do a reset. Also, parliaments could elect (and get rid of) a head of state much quicker than the two-year saga we've been living through down here. We could have retired our current President, years ago, and put that long national nightmare behind us.

I think their track record on CIVIL RIGHTS is superior compared to this nation, especially recently. They have a strong, progressive, independent Judiciary. God Bless Canada for ensuring that two people, of legal age, that love one another, can marry one another. Marriage for everyone. And unlike the United States, these rights were not put up for popular vote (at the ballot box, like in the US), and stripped away from future generations by the extreme short-sightedness of the current generation. Anyone who says that gay rights in this country get better over time

• 2 months later...
Texas is bigger than France, So?

This reminds me; while watching an Astros road game a couple of months ago, the camera zoomed in on some Astros fans in the crowd holding up a sign that just said, "Texas". I had the same reaction: yeah, so, what about it? What about "Astros" or "Houston Astros". What does the state of Texas have to do with it? I've never seen Cincinnati Reds fans in our stands holding up signs that simply said "Ohio". For being such a simple sign, it was one of the goofiest things I'd seen.

531757382_c65550dc9f.jpg?v=0

thats all i have to show you fellow members

(not my car,btw)

Thanks for the pic. First time I have ever seen it and I drive in Houston traffic daily. It's obviously a joke. I wouldn't put one on my vehicle although I once had a Texas Succession sticker. :P

Archived