A New Luling's BBQ And Bar

we went there last nite for dinner and discovered a bar upstairs with great live music. the bbq is good and the drinks were cheap...i dont think they have live entertainment every nite so if you check out this place for the music call first.

we went there last nite for dinner and discovered a bar upstairs with great live music. the bbq is good and the drinks were cheap...i dont think they have live entertainment every nite so if you check out this place for the music call first.

Yep, I can also confirm they've got good BBQ.

I noticed this yesterday and was wondering if it was indeed part of the Luling franchise we've all known. Good to see another potentially good restaurant in that area of 4th Ward. I don't eat much BBQ anymore but I have tons of friends/family who pester me to show them some good spots for "old fashion Texas BBQ".

I noticed this yesterday and was wondering if it was indeed part of the Luling franchise we've all known. Good to see another potentially good restaurant in that area of 4th Ward. I don't eat much BBQ anymore but I have tons of friends/family who pester me to show them some good spots for "old fashion Texas BBQ".

i called up there and they said it is the craig family (tom craig) that own lulings on richmond...

i called up there and they said it is the craig family (tom craig) that own lulings on richmond...

Last time I was in Luling, at the real City Market, I asked 'em if they were involved with Luling City Market in Houston.

The short answer: No. The long answer: Not printable in a family forum.

Ever since then I've refused to patronize these establishments. Why trade on someone else's reputation?

Last time I was in Luling, at the real City Market, I asked 'em if they were involved with Luling City Market in Houston.

Ever since then I've refused to patronize these establishments. Why trade on someone else's reputation?

yeah, that's pretty messed up. the original in luling is one of the all time great bbq joints in texas.

Robb Walsh covered this in the Houston Depress a while back:

http://restaurants.houstonpress.com/2005-0...identity-theft/

City Market in Luling is one of the best BBQ joints on the planet. I think their pork ribs are the best anywhere. If you drive to San Antonio, it's worth the 5-minute drive up Hwy 183.

Luling City Market here is slightly-better-than-average city BBQ. In other words, nothing special at all. I'd rate it slightly above Pappas but well below Goode.

Luling City Market here is slightly-better-than-average city BBQ. In other words, nothing special at all. I'd rate it slightly above Pappas but well below Goode.

I'd rate LCM on Richmond among the best in Houston. I'm a sucker for their sauce and sausage. Anybody know of other Q joints in the area that do a mustard-based sauce?

This thread gave me a barbecue jones so I hit LCM in Midtown for the second time. The brisket was improved, but still not up to snuff. This time it was dry and crumbly. The sausage was as good as at the Richmond location, but I miss the hot pickle mix and the hunks of cheese. I wish I'd ordered a la carte as I ended up spending almost $16 for a two meat plate and an iced tea.

I can see why the Houston places are galling to the City Market in Luling guy, but stealing a restaurant's shtick strikes me as the corporate malfeasance equivalent of jaywalking.

• 1 month later...
If you're in Midtown, you're about 10 minutes from Thelma's, one of the best BBQ joints in Houston. Give 'em a try, and I doubt you'll be going back to McLuling's any time soon.

Thelma's sauce is too sweet for me. Her fish sandwiches rock, though.

• 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to A New Luling's BBQ And Bar

Archived