Public input sought on renaming of Dallas' Industrial Boulevard:

Public input sought on renaming of Dallas' Industrial Boulevard:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...ty.36b6809.html

When I worked at Love Field we would hit Industrial for some tasty tacos. Why in the world would they want to change the name?

If anything I'd rename Harry "ho" Hinez first.

The name "Industrial Blvd" was perfect for the area 100 years ago, when it was designated as the light industrial armpit of Dallas, but the area between Stemmons and the Trinity project is slated to change dramatically over the next 20 years. Unless there is historical significance to the name "Industrial Blvd", I have no problem changing it. Street names change all the time - this is hardly a Dallas phenomenon.

The name "Industrial Blvd" was perfect for the area 100 years ago, when it was designated as the light industrial armpit of Dallas, but the area between Stemmons and the Trinity project is slated to change dramatically over the next 20 years. Unless there is historical significance to the name "Industrial Blvd", I have no problem changing it. Street names change all the time - this is hardly a Dallas phenomenon.

We in Houston are guilty, too, of the notion that changing the name of something will help foster development. We rename our established neighborhoods into "-towns", replace normal street signs with those that have custom designs or languages representative of cultural groups that used to be there decades ago, and back in World War I even renamed German Street to Canal Street. We've done a lot of really superficial things, so I concur that Dallas hardly has a monopoly on poor taste.

That doesn't mean that changing the name of Industrial Blvd. is in any way excusable.

I like the Industrial Boulevard name. It has kind of a nice, sturdy, old-fashioned, hard-working ring to it. It's nothing to be ashamed of. As a matter of fact, two of my favorite municipal names are City of Commerce and City of Industry (perhaps soon to be the home of an NFL stadium) near LA. I fully realize that every city engages in gestures they think are image-enhancing, but it can get out of hand. I still haven't forgiven Houston for "Saint Joseph's Parkway". Bleaaahh.

We in Houston are guilty, too, of the notion that changing the name of something will help foster development. We rename our established neighborhoods into "-towns", replace normal street signs with those that have custom designs or languages representative of cultural groups that used to be there decades ago, and back in World War I even renamed German Street to Canal Street. We've done a lot of really superficial things, so I concur that Dallas hardly has a monopoly on poor taste.

That doesn't mean that changing the name of Industrial Blvd. is in any way excusable.

Yeah i agree. I remember when we changed the portion of Dallas Street to Lamar by the Toyota Center but not too sure if that's the same thing as this.

• 2 weeks later...
Tom Landry Parkway, there ya go...

Was there some law passed that every road now has to be named "parkway"? St Joseph Parkway, Sam Houston Parkway, Fort Bend Parkway etc etc. They're never really parkways. It's just as annoying as the SoDo/TriBeCa nonsense. If only there could be some sort of ban on names dreamed up by marketing consultants.

Was there some law passed that every road now has to be named "parkway"? St Joseph Parkway, Sam Houston Parkway, Fort Bend Parkway etc etc. They're never really parkways. It's just as annoying as the SoDo/TriBeCa nonsense. If only there could be some sort of ban on names dreamed up by marketing consultants.

These were thought up by marketing consultants!? :blink: If only...

I suspect our elected officials and bureaucrats as the more likely culprits in the cases you put forth.

Yeah! Every new road is now a parkway, it's a new fad that's spreading across the nation. Just because your road isn't access controlled and doesn't flow through a park doesn't mean that it can't be called a parkway! :D

The only real Parkway I have ever been on is the Baltimore Washington Parkway from DC to BWI.

All others are just imposters.

bwp.jpg

• 2 months later...

Archived