500-Acre Lake In Katy

palmer

good or bad?

houston chron article

Katy prairie someday may be an angler's paradise

Commissioner must find money to excavate five Astrodomes of dirt

By BILL MURPHY

Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

Lake.jpg Out on prairie as flat as a polished dining room table, where he has no river or even rivulet to dam, Commissioner Steve Radack intends to dig a hole and build a 500-acre lake that will teem with sportfish and lure anglers from afar.

Radack has defied nature before

what goes on in katy prairie? anything or just people passing by it on the road?

It's a massive stop for migratory waterfowlon the Central flyway. Of course, it is getting more and more developed and the birds are finding other places. Praries don't get the ooos and ahhhs of mountains and forests but, believe it or not, the Katy Prairie is (or was) a very signifcant ecosystem in the southern U.S.

This looks like it'll be right next to Bridgeland.

I don't see why they just don't dam Cypress Creek to create a lake that is larger than just 500 acres, maybe a couple thousand, and use it for recreation as well as reserve drinking water and flood control for development downstream. This would also alleviate the concerns of stagnation, oxygenation, and bacteria growth. I know Lake Sommerville is a damn on Yegua Creek, so why won't a dam work on Cypress Creek? Anyone?

Because Cypress Creek and the land around it are completely flat.

But they are talking about excavating the area no? So couldn't you do that on Cypress Creek on a larger scale...I guess it would be really expensive for a couple thousand acres though if they are talking about cost issues for 500 acres....

Because Cypress Creek and the land around it are completely flat.

I guess the more I think about it the more I think there shouldn't be a lake in NW Harris County...as much as I would enjoy one. I can picture this 500 acre project turning into a stagnant, stinking cess pool full of only catfish....like a giant catfish farm...who knows, maybe they can pull it off but the funds would probably be better spent on the Cypress Creek Greenway Project...

It's a massive stop for migratory waterfowlon the Central flyway. Of course, it is getting more and more developed and the birds are finding other places. Praries don't get the ooos and ahhhs of mountains and forests but, believe it or not, the Katy Prairie is (or was) a very signifcant ecosystem in the southern U.S.

That's cool. Do people ever go in and bird watch and stuff?

Isn't Lake Houston on flat land.

I grew up on Lake Houston and it most definately is pretty flat land...I believe they dredged and widened the riverbed to create the lake. It was most likely a very expensive project and they probably had more of a natural basin to work with as the lake sits at a "bend" of sorts in the river. But I am sure for the right price you could put a lake in NW Harris County. I have always thought a reservoir was needed out here as the population continues to skyrocket out this way...

But they are talking about excavating the area no? So couldn't you do that on Cypress Creek on a larger scale...I guess it would be really expensive for a couple thousand acres though if they are talking about cost issues for 500 acres....

Clearly a better use of taxpayer funds. I find the argument that the residents in this area are so deprived of parkland curious as well, what with the 7,800 acre George Bush Park and 2,200 acre Bear Creek Pioneers Park just down the road. Both of these parks are within Radack's precint, by the way.

• The title was changed to 500-Acre Lake In Katy

Archived