Westchase District

Multimillion-Dollar Mixed-Use Project Set for Westchase District

By Beverly Ford

HOUSTON-A local developer packs residential high-rise condos and 130,000 sf of high-end retail space into a multi-building, 11.5-acre development off Beltway 8. The final layout is still being tweaked amid plans for a groundbreaking in the coming months.

Multimillion-Dollar Mixed-Use Project Set for Westchase District

By Beverly Ford

HOUSTON-A local developer packs residential high-rise condos and 130,000 sf of high-end retail space into a multi-building, 11.5-acre development off Beltway 8. The final layout is still being tweaked amid plans for a groundbreaking in the coming months.

Finally, a good news for the day!

more information on the project:

HOUSTON-A mixed-use, multimillion dollar, high-rise complex will change the skyline along the city's thriving Westchase District when construction begins later this year on Park 8 Grand.

"It is probably one of the largest projects coming out of the ground this year," Kevin Sims, with NAI's Houston office, tells GlobeSt.com. The project, set to include retail space, medical offices and luxury condominiums, is being developed by locally based Park 8 Place LP.

Stephen Schorr, also with NAI 's Houston office, says groundbreaking on the 11.5-acre site at Beltway 8 between Bellaire Boulevard and Beechnut Street is expected to occur within the next few months. The project will include high-rise residential towers featuring luxury condominiums along with 130,000 sf of retail space and about 20,000 sf of medical offices. The retail phase of the project should be completed by fall 2006, Sims says. Both Sims and Schorr say it's unclear how many condos would be included in the large-scale project or the market price of those high-end units, but concur that all will feature scenic views of the surrounding area.

The retail phase is expected to deliver a tenant roster of several national chains although none have yet signed on to be included in the plans, Sims says. "We're still working on a few different options as far as site planning so we're not sure how it's going to lay out. But in that particular market, we anticipate lease up to occur within a year or a year and a half," he says, adding even the rental rate has yet to be established.

Sims says the project will be completed in phases, beginning with the retail space. Marketing of that space should begin next month.

The Westchase District has become one of the hottest office markets in recent years because of its proximity to area freeways and other amenities. "Westchase has done a lot of marketing and put a lot of upgrades into the district to make it a destination, " Sims says, stressing the addition of Park 8 Grand will make that hotspot even hotter.

11.5-acre site at Beltway 8 between Bellaire Boulevard and Beechnut Street is expected to occur within the next few months. The project will include high-rise residential towers featuring luxury condominiums along with 130,000 sf of retail space and about 20,000 sf of medical offices.

Wait a minute. I thought West chase ends at Bellaire and South of that is Alief. Is Alief really ready for luxury condos? :unsure:

Good eye KZ - you beat me to the punch. Westchase swings down along the belt to include Hallburton & that whole business park on the west side of the belt (I forgot the name - is it Oak Park perhaps?) As for south of Bellaire, you're basically in the middle of new Chinatown - or simply "Bellaire" to most Asian residents & business owners.

I'm curious what side of the belt (east or west) its going to be built on. I'm thinking west side as there is a lot of dirt work being done all along the bayou in between Bellaire & Beechnut.

I'm also curious what retail is coming there, as natively, I wouldn't forsee upscale retail landing south of Westpark along the belt (which is why I expected this development to be at the West8 plot on the eastside of the belt, south of Westheimer initially).

Just my opinion, but this development feels just a little too far south to rope in the market it seems to be aiming for. Once you pass Westpark heading south, everything starts to lower in value. Maybe its their hope to draw in the upscale Asian community, and the retail will be Asian oriented.

Either way, they're going to have to be very careful, or else their development will end up looking like every other dump in Alief.

Indeed, things change rapidly once you go south of West Park tollway and, in particular, south of Bellaire. Driving into Westchase on Wilcrest the other day, crossing West Park toll way felt like crossing Mexico-US border as you immediately see the difference.

There is quite a bit of construction going on at Bellaire. I just wish they update the infrastructure. The grass in the medians and around Chinatown must be two feets tall.

If you drive north on Wilcrest just before you get to Westpark, you'll see a real estate sign on the left advertising the parcel. The funny thing is that the sign makes a specific point that it is not in Westchase. I'm thinking that Westchase must have some serious deed restrictions for it to be a selling point for adjacent parcels.

That is exactly what I noticed and thought. I mentioned it in some other thread, don't remember which one though. This tells you how much developers love crappy strip malls and hate zoning laws/deed restrictions.

Wait a minute. I thought West chase ends at Bellaire and South of that is Alief. Is Alief really ready for luxury condos?  :unsure:

I'm very perplexed by this project. If in fact the location reported is correct (BW8 between Bellaire and Beechnut), I don't see how that area will support this kind of high end development. I'm in west Sharpstown, maybe half mile from the most likely spot, and there are a lot of very slummy apartments in the area along Corporate Drive.

The article doesn't suggest there is any Asian money behind this, but the new mid-rise hotel going up along BW8 just south of Bellaire is an Asian-financed project from what I've read.

I could see this project happening on the large tract of land at BW 8 and Westheimer. But in Sharpstown/Alief? Something doesn't seem right.

Guest danax

I'm not very knowledgeable of that specific area but possibly they are gambling a bit, getting the land cheap, and might figure that the land mass between 59 and Westpark TW will be desireable soon. We've seen signs of outlying areas like Sugarland and others around the country trying the urban-chic residential/retail combo as an alternative to the "real thing" location-wise. Isn't that near Brays Bayou? Maybe the view will be cool. If they're reasonably priced they could attract a lot of buyers would can't afford the inner-loop.

Someone always has to be willing to take a chance in the beginning of any trend. Since the area is not deed-restricted and considered by many "ghetto" (ie; time to buy and ripe for transition), it might be the next development boomtown.

The Westchase District has become one of the hottest office markets in recent years because of its proximity to area freeways and other amenities. "Westchase has done a lot of marketing and put a lot of upgrades into the district to make it a destination, " Sims says, stressing the addition of Park 8 Grand will make that hotspot even hotter.

This is a strange article... something really doesn't sound right with it. This Sims person keeps talking about "Westchase," but south of Bellaire is so far removed from the central Westchase district... I don't see that ever being considered Westchase. It's kind of a stretch just considering the Halliburton property as Westchase since Chinatown wraps around it on 3 sides.

It's not a very good area especially on the east side of the beltway in Westwood. The west side isn't too hot either. There's a home depot on the SW corner of Bellaire & BW 8 so I guess the new development would be south of that?

I am totally shocked to hear that high rise residential towers are planned for that area... I think something is seriously amiss here...

As for there not being the right location, I again emphisize that if the development is aimed at the Asian market, they stand to make a good dollar ...

Well I will agree with you there that Chinatown does have a lot of potential to do something great along the Beltway there. But this project apparently isn't marketed towards Asians... According to this article, a spokesperson for the sale is marketing it as something in the "Westchase district" instead of Chinatown where it actually is?

If only they could do something with those damn apartments...  <_<

I totally agree with you about those horrible apartment complexes in the Beechnut/Bissonet/59/BW-8 area...

It's really a problem all over the Houston area... In the SW part of town there are several bad clusters of aprtment complexes, mainly the entire western Gulfton area and everything that fills in the space between Bellaire and Sharpstown, the Fondren SW area around West Bellfort, West Airport, Fondern & Gessner, and the above mentioned Westwood/Forum Park/Club Creek area...

But what can be done about them? Maybe someday we can pass a zoning law which will restrict the density of these complexes in proximity to single-family neighborhoods???

So does anyone know what IS going to happen at west8? It looks like that BoA is moving across the street to sit right next to the La Madeleine. If they were to connect the Carillion and west8 they should put a breezeway though that western building of the Carillion right behind the La Madeleine... there isnt much driveway in front of it.

I love what they are doing to the median right in front of there. Stretching the turn lanes and adding the greenage.

That unused retail space that was right behind the starbucks is now gone.

Seriously, I hope they axe that complex that currently houses the BoA all the way back to the old post office. Badly designed.

(ps I attend that yoga lotus there in the carillion and they really know their stuff... highly suggested.)

• 5 months later...

The Westchase District and West 8 appear to be at a standstill but there are major proposals being considered for the area. One is the Westchase Waterway system. The proposal includes creating waterway amenities from existing drainage canals. A turning basin is shown in the open area east of Boston Market. The Westchase Mall is shown reconfigured with a meandering stream crossing east to west through the site with shops along both sides. The stream would continue across Wilcrest to the Whole Foods center and then connect to a north/south stream along the powerline easement. Many buildings would have to be reconfigured to access their now ignored sides.

West 8 is waiting to see if the waterway will be approved and how they might connect to it. Another major project for the area will be the reconstruction of Westheimer at the beltway. In late 2006, TXDOT will begin construction of a three level diamond interchange. It will include two lanes of Westheimer depressed and two at grade in each direction. This is intended to lessen the type of congestion that occurs on Westheimer at Loop 610.

I don't know if you're familiar with the intersection, but the intersections of FM 1960 @ both SH 249 and I-45 are probably what this intersection will resemble.

Oh, I hope it will not be like that. Hasn't the one at 1960 @ I-45 ruined most of the retail around it? It is really confusing and difficult to get into any of the centers at both of those intersections. I dread going through those areas.

• 11 months later...

Personally I wish if they were gonna add a major Condominium High Rise to the WestChase area, they would have planned to include a cross section of the area...

They are promoting it and building it in ChinaTown- this is great for the Asian population of Houston and will no doubt probably increase the Asian population in Houston ...

HOWEVER The WestChase District IMO would do really great if they had some high rise condos for the general population...

I'd love to see a similar project built closer to Westheimer and 8.

Or some loft style living would be great as well...

• 4 months later...
West Eight is probably your best bet. At the least, they've begun construction on parts of the project. If it takes off, highrise residential might eventually come along.

I have to admit I am a bit impressed with how Westchase District has changed at least in the area we are in (job). Ironically I once worked nearby over 15 years ago and have seen the changes. When I see the residential areas over by Wilcrest/Westheimer area they seem really nice and decent. The only thing I clearly do not recall seeing around 15 years ago is the many, many people walking around the apartments in the area. I wonder if there were restrictions as to how many apartments were to be built near the residential areas? Seems like the city just let developers over build them. Upon closer observation you can tell that these apts were at one time quite pricy but judging by the crowd lurking about it seems that prices depreciated somehow? The only way the areas around Wilcrest/Westheimer areas will stay nice is if these apartments start shutting down. Our office building & parking lots have experienced a higher than normal breakins than in recent memory. Demographics have definetley changed in this area. It is fact that after that terrible hurricane many of those residents were placed in SW and west areas of Houston. Wonder what the schools breakup is now opposed to what it was. I hope Westchase District doesnt lose that upscale modern NEW Houston feel to it. It reminds me of what West Los Angeles was like. Very upscale with with well-rounded, educated people.

I hope Westchase District doesnt lose that upscale modern NEW Houston feel to it. It reminds me of what West Los Angeles was like. Very upscale with with well-rounded, educated people.

IMO is does not feel that upscale, maybe a few nice shopping centers, but overall, just normal.

IMO is does not feel that upscale, maybe a few nice shopping centers, but overall, just normal.

I meant it's upscale "compared" to war torn Southwest Houston. Even police are afraid to go to that part of town. AK-47 is the order of the day. It rivals South Central LA and Oakland, Ca. Corner of Beechnut/59 frwy had been location of at least 4 killings where innocent drivers/people were merely waiting for the lights to change so they could get on the frwy. Basically, if a person doesnt dress/act like they just came out of prison you don't fit in. Gotta look gangsta or else! Westchase anyday lets keep it this way.

Corner of Beechnut/59 frwy had been location of at least 4 killings where innocent drivers/people were merely waiting for the lights to change so they could get on the frwy. Basically, if a person doesnt dress/act like they just came out of prison you don't fit in. Gotta look gangsta or else!

That is pretty lousey.

Where they just in the line of fire, or were the robbed?

That is pretty lousey.

Where they just in the line of fire, or were the robbed?

Merely sitting inside their cars waiting for the lights to change. The trouble makers stopped on both opposite sides of one college girl and riddled her car with bullets. She was about 21 yrs old just going to school. The other victims were just people coming from work or going to the mall. Speaking of malls, they cant possibly still have Sharpstown Mall open? That thing needs to be put out of its misery. Was perfect family setting 25-30 years ago. Now a death trap. Nee to build a mortuary next door save people a trip or 2. That whole area is pretty much wastland. Mushroom cloud the whole joint.

Merely sitting inside their cars waiting for the lights to change. The trouble makers stopped on both opposite sides of one college girl and riddled her car with bullets. She was about 21 yrs old just going to school. The other victims were just people coming from work or going to the mall. Speaking of malls, they cant possibly still have Sharpstown Mall open? That thing needs to be put out of its misery. Was perfect family setting 25-30 years ago. Now a death trap. Nee to build a mortuary next door save people a trip or 2. That whole area is pretty much wastland. Mushroom cloud the whole joint.

That is why homes their are so cheap.

It is unfortunate, since the location makes it ideal for a great livable space.