Stop the Rail Plans!

lockmat

I feel bad for Chicago... Last time I was there, riding the train from Evanston to Downtown, there were huge red lettered signs everywhere! All of them listed about 100 lines or so of Bus Routes being canceled because of lack of funding. And at the bottom, it said "Write your Congressman". And Here we are spending over half a billion on a stupid light rail?

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You could convert Navigation to mixed rail/road, maybe.

No, I think Harrisburg was the best choice for the East End line. Well grade separation would be the BEST choice, but I guess it's just too costly. Harrisburg is the central street that links the four major areas of the East End... Eastwood, Second Ward, Lawndale, and Magnolia. Putting it on Navigation would cutoff the Eastwood/Lawndale segment, while putting it on a street like Polk would cutoff the Second Ward and Magnolia.

• 4 months later...

Metro withholds rail deal's cost before vote

The Metropolitan Transit Authority continued to withhold the anticipated overall price tag on its next four light rail lines Tuesday in advance of Wednesday's board vote on a contract with Parsons Transportation Group.

Metro spokesman George Smalley said the cost, which he described only as

Archived