My new tree died!

I closed on my new home last June, and the house comes with a one-year warranty. Back in October, I noticed that all the leaves were gone, and I asked the builder about it. I thought it might be transplant shock, but the guy said it's probably dead. Now, here's the thing...he said they said the warranty doesn't cover the tree. I always made sure to keep the lawn watered, but even if the tree was even a little underwatered, I don't understand how a tree can die so suddenly. What can I do? None of the other homes on my street seem to have this problem, and they are new homes too (some of them are David Weekley.) My builder is Pioneer Homes, by the way.

this isn't uncommon. how tall is it?

I would say it's about 8'-9'. The main reason for my concern is that it's now April, and no sign of any leaves. Plus the builder said the tree was more than likely dead since the trunk is cracked and some of the branches break off easily, albeit they are thin.

I would say it's about 8'-9'. The main reason for my concern is that it's now April, and no sign of any leaves. Plus the builder said the tree was more than likely dead since the trunk is cracked and some of the branches break off easily, albeit they are thin.

that shouldn't be hard to replace. there will always be projects for you to do around the house. this is just another.

I live in a Coventry Home built by the same parent company as yours. Had a similar experience with one of the trees they planted for me which never flourished; They went ahead and changed it after I bugged them for a while. McGuyer is a reasonable company with good customer service and for sure they will work with you, especially since you brought the issue to their attention early enough.

Good luck.

Make a small scratch in the bark near the base. If it's green underneath, the tree is still alive. Keep going up the trunk, making small scratches. Once you don't see any green underneath, it means that part of the tree is dead.

Nurseries train trees to quickly grow tall, while occupying the smallest pot necessary. Oftentimes, the small root system can barely support the large amount of vertical growth. Prune the tree back to the highest live part and water it regularly. It should recover.

What kind of tree is it? Do you have pictures? Kind of hard to diagnose what happened without one or the other or both.

Don't go buy a new one without doing a little research. It's possible that the builder just planted whatever was cheap and/or available and that it was already sick, planted incorrectly, or poorly situated for that spot or this climate. It's fairly common for builders to do this with plants and landscaping - as long as it looks good when you move in and take possession, they don't care what happens a year later or whether it will last at all.

What kind of tree is it? Do you have pictures? Kind of hard to diagnose what happened without one or the other or both.

Don't go buy a new one without doing a little research. It's possible that the builder just planted whatever was cheap and/or available and that it was already sick, planted incorrectly, or poorly situated for that spot or this climate. It's fairly common for builders to do this with plants and landscaping - as long as it looks good when you move in and take possession, they don't care what happens a year later or whether it will last at all.

Part of that research should include what's under the current dead tree.

A friend of mine had a new house in Sugar Land. A year after he moved in all the trees died. When he replaced them he found bricks, roofing shingles, nails, and all sorts of construction garbage was buried under his lawn by the developer.

Part of that research should include what's under the current dead tree.

A friend of mine had a new house in Sugar Land. A year after he moved in all the trees died. When he replaced them he found bricks, roofing shingles, nails, and all sorts of construction garbage was buried under his lawn by the developer.

Excellent point, I had the same thought.

I think this happens a lot - builders will save money on refuse disposal by just burying it with fill dirt. I have heard of it happening more than once.

Archived