City Of La Porte To Develop A Town Square

TheNiche

http://www.globest.com/news/1120_1120/houston/169271-1.html

The town square is still in the planning stages, with the town council authorizing the economic development coordinator to proceed with plans and renderings. The square will likely be developed an area known as Five Points, which was the center of La Porte in its early days.

Gretchen Larson, economic development coordinator with the City of La Porte, says leaders are in discussion with architect firms to obtain renderings. Once renderings have been approved, the town will go through the process of public meetings and planning and zoning discussions.

Larson estimates the entire process will likely take about a year, with the development itself to take two or three months.

This is in addition to the plans to replace the old Sylvan Beach Pavilions with a new 200-room hotel overlooking Galveston Bay.

La Porte is really coming along, and its old town is still pretty active.

Yeah I saw this yesterday and was going to post it but forgot. I wonder what stores they are aiming at.

I don't think that this is necessarily a sophisticated revenue-driven project, so it'll probably be a mish-mash of local retailers. I don't envision apparell or any kind of destination retail being a very good fit, but food and service retailers would probably be a good place to start.

Restaurants seem to do pretty well in that area. They've got mexican, BBQ, a really good all-purpose place that serves a high-end clientele, and an olde-timey tea house, all along Main Street. And a good indie coffeehouse is at Sylvan Beach.

Archived