East End Neighborhoods Old Ads

post-5666-1205689307_thumb.jpgI found some old neighborhood development ads for the East End & Park Place. Does anyone know where the "Suburban Gardens" would have been? These came out of the "1913 Post Office Annual for Houston".

(Out of the old Golfcrest St. house).

post-5666-1205689261_thumb.jpg

post-5666-1205690041_thumb.jpg

post-5666-1205689307_thumb.jpgI found some old neighborhood development ads for the East End & Park Place. Does anyone know where the "Suburban Gardens" would have been? These came out of the "1913 Post Office Annual for Houston".

(Out of the old Golfcrest St. house).

Thanks for sharing!

I am not sure where Suburban Gardens was/is but there is a small neighborhood that is covered by the Eastwood Home Owners Association that is called Suburban. It is the few blocks on the west side of dumble from broadmoor sort of behind the eastwood transit center.

Thanks for sharing!

I am not sure where Suburban Gardens was/is but there is a small neighborhood that is covered by the Eastwood Home Owners Association that is called Suburban. It is the few blocks on the west side of dumble from broadmoor sort of behind the eastwood transit center.

I think you mean behind Macy's warehouse? We spoke plenty of that area in another topic (which one). I had to mention that it is one of the few "untouched" nabes that still retain the quaint charm of yesteryear. There were many Italian families living in this area which made sense as many of their business were just nearby ie; Mandola's Deli, Ballatori's, Lorino's, etc. I played ball with some the kids at EE Little League.

I have several old address books that have numerous business advertisments and baseball sponsors of era between 1969-74. I just need to get on the ball, scan and place here. They are sure to bring back many a memory. As a kid we never realized how many of our freinds parents owned their own business in Near East End. :D

I think you mean behind Macy's warehouse? We spoke plenty of that area in another topic (which one). I had to mention that it is one of the few "untouched" nabes that still retain the quaint charm of yesteryear. There were many Italian families living in this area which made sense as many of their business were just nearby ie; Mandola's Deli, Ballatori's, Lorino's, etc. I played ball with some the kids at EE Little League.

I have several old address books that have numerous business advertisments and baseball sponsors of era between 1969-74. I just need to get on the ball, scan and place here. They are sure to bring back many a memory. As a kid we never realized how many of our freinds parents owned their own business in Near East End. :D

I don't think it is behind Macy's warehouse (unless I'm mistaken and there is another one). We live in that part of Eastwood, bounded by Ernestine, Leeland, Sidney, and Harby. Some homes have Eastwood Annex in their HCAD description (though we don't), but we pay our dues to Eastwood Association and in the original property detail from the county, it had Eastwood as the nabe.

I don't think it is behind Macy's warehouse (unless I'm mistaken and there is another one). We live in that part of Eastwood, bounded by Ernestine, Leeland, Sidney, and Harby. Some homes have Eastwood Annex in their HCAD description (though we don't), but we pay our dues to Eastwood Association and in the original property detail from the county, it had Eastwood as the nabe.

You dont think he means that tiny row of streets just NORTH of Stephen F Austin HS? It doesnt make sense why the city would call such a minuscule area Suburban whatever? That is very peculiar. Oh well so it is I suppose. Guess we better stick to topic? ja ja :D

By the way, I did find several brochures of a very historical community based organization that features numerous past business in downtown and most of Near Northside and East End. Business's like local Tailor's, barbers, printing shops, family photograper's, restuarants, cafes. Most date around 1945 to 1962. One that stands out is the White Swan on Navigation/Lockwood 1953 it was a nice restuarant AND club. It is still there but just as a punk club! Never would have imagined it was once a pretty swank place.

My toes curl when I see this cool old stuff!

You dont think he means that tiny row of streets just NORTH of Stephen F Austin HS? It doesnt make sense why the city would call such a minuscule area Suburban whatever? That is very peculiar. Oh well so it is I suppose. Guess we better stick to topic? ja ja :D

it is this miniscule area bounded by hicksfield, dumble, lombary, & munger. 2.5 blocks of houses...maybe a few more at one time before the freeway?

The city hasn't much to do with the name and its size, it is the amount of land the original developer had and what they wanted to call it.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...&iwloc=addr

it is this miniscule area bounded by hicksfield, dumble, lombary, & munger. 2.5 blocks of houses...maybe a few more at one time before the freeway?

The city hasn't much to do with the name and its size, it is the amount of land the original developer had and what they wanted to call it.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...&iwloc=addr

If that is correct I will flip backwards right now! We lived at 1400 Munger at Dumble. So if it was the 1300 block of Munger, a person lived in "Suburban Gardens". I'm seeing the planets. :wacko: So where we lived a block over it was Broadmoor and my old best friend a block over lived in Suburban Gardens. Wow!

Learn something new each day in Haif universe.

PS, Mrs Lorino lived in and owned a number of those all along 1300 Munger block. We always wanted to buy one of them but she moved and sold so quick. Rats.

If that is correct I will flip backwards right now! We lived at 1400 Munger at Dumble. So if it was the 1300 block of Munger, a person lived in "Suburban Gardens". I'm seeing the planets. :wacko: So where we lived a block over it was Broadmoor and my old best friend a block over lived in Suburban Gardens. Wow!

well actually i said i did not know where "suburban gardens" was but i knew this subdivision was called "suburban"

there is also a subdivision called "suburban park" and its off of lockwood and navigation. some of the streets are suburban, blanche, schroeder, et al.

EDIT: I think i just found "suburban gardens" by looking through the Harris County Block Books.

There is a subdivision called "houston suburban gardens" and it is east of hardy road at little york.

http://books.tax.hctx.net/v058/AE1997_58_0219.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any info. on the neighborhood called "RANGER", deep in the East End, between Harrisburg & Navigation, before Oaklawn, heading southeast from downtown? (towards Harrisburg). I imagine that is where the old Brady house was. Never heard of this 'hood before, saw it on the key map...used to notice a very old mansion with long front 2-story porch & ornate columns on the left, (Harrisburg Blvd.), bums ("down on their luck" people) lived there in the 1960's-70's. It had a huge yard in front of it. There was also a small observatory looking building on the right, and some very old buildings(stores) on the right, mainly constructed of stucco, before the Sears dept. store.

another thing, why doesn't anyone talk about Central Park. I've only heard Magnolia Park mentioned. (They are right next to each other). <_<

another thing, why doesn't anyone talk about Central Park. I've only heard Magnolia Park mentioned. (They are right next to each other). <_<

unfortunately many people are not familar with the central park area and call it magnolia.

Does anyone have any info. on the neighborhood called "RANGER", deep in the East End, between Harrisburg & Navigation, before Oaklawn, heading southeast from downtown? (towards Harrisburg). I imagine that is where the old Brady house was. Never heard of this 'hood before, saw it on the key map...used to notice a very old mansion with long front 2-story porch & ornate columns on the left, (Harrisburg Blvd.), bums ("down on their luck" people) lived there in the 1960's-70's. It had a huge yard in front of it. There was also a small observatory looking building on the right, and some very old buildings(stores) on the right, mainly constructed of stucco, before the Sears dept. store.

Ranger SSBB is in irregularly-shaped subdivision about three blocks wide that runs north/south along York and Sampson streets from just north of Polk St. to just south of Canal St.

I'm not sure why the Key Map shows Ranger and not the subdivisions that surround it, but there are plenty of others nearby, including Settegast, Milvihill, Engelke SSBB, Herman's League, Merrill, Palmer, and Palmer Place. These are all west of Milby, which seems to be a dividing line or sorts in the near East End.

As for Magnolia Park vs. Central Park, Magnolia only gets more attention, I think, because it used to be an incorporated municipality complete with a built-up commercial area.

"Easy Payments Without Interest" -- uh oh. Where have we heard that before?

"Good car service" -- I wonder if that means street cars or automobiles.

I would assume it was streetcars. In 1913 I believe automobiles were not yet all that common for the working man. Having a streetcar connection would have been a huge selling point for a speculative suburban real estate development.

NenaE thanks for posting these! Great stuff!

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I would share this with you,

From the book Houston's Forgotten Heritage - Landscape, Houses, Interiors, 1824-1914,

"The idea of residential areas created with appealing landscape spread from the elite to the working-class subdivisions. Magnolia Park was subdivided to become the Magnolia Park Addition in 1909, followed in 1912 by the Central Park Addition on the bayou westward toward Houston. Magnolia Park was between Harrisburg and the Turning Basin, which was under construction at the time; its location made this a particularly attractive area for homes of workers in the nearby industries, and transportation was provided into the city on the Houston Belt and Magnolia Park Railway line."

It also says that the railway line was originally used to carry Houstonians from downtown to the Magnolia Park, for recreation before it became a residential area. Many magnolia trees were cut down for home lots, when development started. It was a private park owned by Brady, he let Houston use it, the railway he had built was originally for business/industrial purposes, but that did not pan out.

link: http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/...s/HH/eqh10.html

• 1 month later...
"Easy Payments Without Interest" -- uh oh. Where have we heard that before?

"Good car service" -- I wonder if that means street cars or automobiles.

Quote from 2-Minute Histories of Houston, G. Berry & B. Chapman article on "Harrisburg" says it took a streetcar only 20 minutes (for a 5-cent fare) to reach downtown Houston from Magnolia Park. Another article on the streetcar lines says the "development of the Ship Channel area led to a Harrisburg line".(p.28) Doesn't give an exact date for the start of the line.

Temp hijack of topic, but this may expain all and the book should be great.

http://www.themightywizard.com/weblog/archives/000293.html

http://members.iglou.com/baron/

PS, someone once placed a link to Magnolia or Harrisburg Streetcar line and it had a very old pic of an "elevated" bridge near Mason Park and it had a trolley en route to downtown. :o

So now we know that Houston was already headed in the elevated rail idea what 100 years ago? and we canned it. Kick ourselves again. :angry:

Temp hijack of topic, but this may expain all and the book should be great.

http://www.themightywizard.com/weblog/archives/000293.html

http://members.iglou.com/baron/

PS, someone once placed a link to Magnolia or Harrisburg Streetcar line and it had a very old pic of an "elevated" bridge near Mason Park and it had a trolley en route to downtown. :o

So now we know that Houston was already headed in the elevated rail idea what 100 years ago? and we canned it. Kick ourselves again. :angry:

Thanks for the links Vertigo58, my grandmother often talked of "jitneys" (mentioned in one of the links), cars with curtains & rumble seats!

Archived