New Camera Advice

ricco67

i've been disappointed with my Nikon power shot that I purchased a couple of years ago, so its death was no big deal. After looking at some of the newer cameras, I didn't know which one to go for.

I'm hesitant to buy a new Nikon, but if a one of the newer ones are better, then I'll go that route.

any suggestions?

It all depends on what you're looking for... compact vs DSLR? Price range?

I am a Canon fan personally. I have had a 20D and a Powershot s70 for a few years and am really happy with both. If you are considering DSLR (a huge upgrade in image quality), Canon is for sure the class act (in terms of camera body and available lens quality)... but they are not compact and cost much more. As for point-and-shoot, there are 100s of good options from any number of companies. Do not get wrapped up in megapixels... they don't matter beyond about 5. Lens and censor quality is where the money is.

Check out this website for exhaustive reviews of any camera you would want:

http://www.dpreview.com/

Edited by wernicke

I am a Nikon fan. If you have a bit of extra money and want to move up a bit from point-and-shoot, check out the D40 or D60.

I am to... Of course everybody has their preference, but the Nikon DSLR's seem to have a better balance than do the Canon's. I also don't like the Canon's tapered edge where the shutter button is. Also the Nikon body (mine's a D70S) seems to be a little heavier and better built. Having said that, both Canon and Nikon are pretty equal in most regards.

Entry line DSLR's are getting pretty cheap, and they are well worth the investment over time.

I am a Sony person myself, since they took over Minolta. Have had many Minolta's over the years, and have never let me down. My point in shoot for emergencies is a DSC W200 (12.1 MP steady-shot, etc.) The big gun is my Minolta 7D, had it for a couple of years, My wife uses it more than I do. I am looking at a Sony A700 as a possible upgrade for the Minolta 7D, simply because the lenses all interchange, Have most of my money tied up in lenses, which are the real secret to your photos, good lenses make all the difference, these days bodies are bodies, they all have tons of bells and whistles. Lenses make the camera. Nikon have some of the most superior lenses on the market. Canon and Zeiss are up there as well, however Nikon is the she-it when it comes to optics.

Well, when I purchased my Nikon Coolpix (I think that what it was), I liked the zoom, the ease of use and clarity of the pictures it SEEMED to have (I brought my own SD card and took pictures in the store).

When I used it in the real world, the stills were often blurry and nothing I could do (including placing the camera on a rock solid platform) would do the trick.

The pictures that I had put up here were usually the result of taking multiple pictures and go home and hope at least ONE was acceptable.

What I'm looking for is a step up with quality, speed, and zoom. I'm HOPING to not spend more than $500 bucks.

I wouldn't mind the Nikon D20, but I'd like something that I can easily carry around.

Well, when I purchased my Nikon Coolpix (I think that what it was), I liked the zoom, the ease of use and clarity of the pictures it SEEMED to have (I brought my own SD card and took pictures in the store).

When I used it in the real world, the stills were often blurry and nothing I could do (including placing the camera on a rock solid platform) would do the trick.

The pictures that I had put up here were usually the result of taking multiple pictures and go home and hope at least ONE was acceptable.

What I'm looking for is a step up with quality, speed, and zoom. I'm HOPING to not spend more than $500 bucks.

I wouldn't mind the Nikon D20, but I'd like something that I can easily carry around.

Canon SD 850 IS works fine. The Nikons "L" series feel like crap to me .

If you were getting consistently blurry pictures it could have been that your ISO was set too low (meaning the shutter was basically not clicking as fast as it could). With most modern digital cameras you can ramp up the ISO setting without getting grainy images like in the past.

Very true; especially if you're working with the raw files.

My next camera will be a Canon. I've been very pleased with the quality of my wife's point-and-shoot, and I've borrowed a couple of friends' Canons and liked what I've been able to do with them.

I once saw an interesting photograph taken in the White House. It was the president and some random leader of another country sitting in front of a fireplace. We've all seen the shot a thousand times. This time, however, the mirror above the fireplace reflected the press corps shooting the event. Most of them had Canons.

Another observation: The Chicago Tribune photographers use Canons (and not even the highest end ones). The Chicago Sun-Times photographers use Nikons. To my mind, based on the output I've seen from each of the papers, that means Nikons are great for banging around utility work when you need to get the job done. And when you have time to think and compose and are more worried about winning awards than capturing a scene, then the choice is Canon.

Again, just my observation. If you have the cash, rent one of each for a weekend and see which one feels better to you and works the way you do. You'll probably spend $200 on the rental, but it's better than making a $10,000 mistake.

Yes, everyone loves Canon. Not all are that expensive either. I am ready to buy one, overdue actually. I always hear Best Buy is the place to go? Very knowledgable staff to answer any camera questions? Hope so anyway. :)

B&H Photo and Video is where I get everything. Better customer service over the phone than I get in person from Best Buy or Circuit City. Very competitive prices, too. There's a reason all the professionals shop there.

B&H Photo and Video is where I get everything. Better customer service over the phone than I get in person from Best Buy or Circuit City. Very competitive prices, too. There's a reason all the professionals shop there.

I second B&H Photo, but be-warned - they're in Manhattan, so expect a rude New Yorker when you call.

If you're going PNS (Point and Shoot), you can't go wrong with any Canon IS model (Image Stabilization). If you don't want to spend as much, you can go with a Panasonic Lumix (again, any model with image stabilization).

I second B&H Photo, but be-warned - they're in Manhattan, so expect a rude New Yorker when you call.

If you're going PNS (Point and Shoot), you can't go wrong with any Canon IS model (Image Stabilization). If you don't want to spend as much, you can go with a Panasonic Lumix (again, any model with image stabilization).

I've had surprisingly nice people on the B&H phone, even when I was returning stuff. But then New York isn't what it used to be.

I've never used one, but I read a lot of good things about the Lumix line.

If you want to compare cameras, probably the best site on the 'net for specifications, sample pictures, and information is DP Review.

I would also recommend the Canon S series (S1, S2, S3) or one of the Panasonic Lumix cameras. Bother are point and shoots with some pretty decent SLR like manual features and nice image stabilization, and zoom.

If you want to make the jump to the SLR world, you can't beat the price of a Rebel XTi on Amazon.com (way cheaper than any store I've ever been to). The XTi is what I use (and I will most likely continue to use it until I get a real job, which isn't going to be any time soon).

Hey Jax, you and Boris are really good at photography.

What would you suggest for someone like me that always uses a camera for closeup shots of people. Normally in a dark or lit room or lobby. I love those very slim (in colors like red) that you can snap and quickly slip in your jacket. It has to be one that groups people quickly and shoots then move to next group. Coolpix is a name that comes to mind?

If you want to make the jump to the SLR world, you can't beat the price of a Rebel XTi on Amazon.com (way cheaper than any store I've ever been to).

Be careful buying cameras and similar electronics like flat screen TVs on Amazon. Many of those items are sold through "third party partners" which means, you order from Amazon, but the item is billed by and shipped by and returns accepted (or not) by some other company. The problem comes from the intense competition to be the cheapest, and some of the companies will sell you grey market imports in order to be the cheapest. These imports won't have a warranty valid in the United States, and may also be built to a different standard and include funny adapter plugs and have less than the full American kit of accessories.

Many times when ordering on Amazon you will see the item is available from several electronics stores and also from Amazon itself at a higher price. It's worth paying more to get it from Amazon so you get Amazon's return policy and the American warranty and you can be almost certain it isn't a counterfeit. (Some stories in the NYC area are selling counterfeit Nikons and Canons from China.)

Be careful buying cameras and similar electronics like flat screen TVs on Amazon. Many of those items are sold through "third party partners" which means, you order from Amazon, but the item is billed by and shipped by and returns accepted (or not) by some other company. The problem comes from the intense competition to be the cheapest, and some of the companies will sell you grey market imports in order to be the cheapest. These imports won't have a warranty valid in the United States, and may also be built to a different standard and include funny adapter plugs and have less than the full American kit of accessories.

Many times when ordering on Amazon you will see the item is available from several electronics stores and also from Amazon itself at a higher price. It's worth paying more to get it from Amazon so you get Amazon's return policy and the American warranty and you can be almost certain it isn't a counterfeit. (Some stories in the NYC area are selling counterfeit Nikons and Canons from China.)

This is an absolutely true statement, learned first hand, never again.

I also third B&H for cameras, they are hands down the best. Never had a rude person there I ever talked to, and I bought a lot of stuff from them. Some people take the NYC people as rude when they are just being typical NYC people. Short and to the point most of the time with very little fluff, unless you get a Dago from Brooklyn and then they are full of crap and very talkative.

Houston Camera Exchange is a good local place if you want to see someone in person and knows their stuff. Good people there also.

http://www.houstoncameraexchange.com/

I'd have to throw in a quick plug for Olympus. I've had their first-gen "automatic" SLR and now a newer 7 mp point and shoot. I really like the optics and the color balance on both of those. Interestingly, many of the controls, symbols, terminology, etc. carries over even though the cameras are nearly twenty years apart.

Never knew that Office Depot sold cameras!

The sales guy was very good at pointing out the advantages of the Canon Powershot SD 1000 7.1 MP and the Canon Powershot SD1850 IS 8.0 MP Digital camera.

There were some on sale and very, very low! To bad this particular ones were not in color? I want red or blue.

If you know what you're looking for, the office supply stores are sometimes great. I was shopping for drives a couple of weeks ago and the one I wanted was $100 less at Office Depot than even at Fry's!

You guys need to pick up a sunday paper once in awhile, OD has cheaper prices on alot of tech items, I picked up a canon rebel XTI when they first came out for 640 (was 20% off plus emp discount) Canon tends to rotate the prices 10 % off one week 20% off others.