Is This Really Necessary ?

TJones

I had to read this twice to believe it. Why is this necessary ? The newshounds love annoucing this stuff nightly, the IRS could have had free advertising on this thing by the news media and put it on the IRS website. I understand that not everyone has a computer, but those that will actually be getting a check back have a means to find out by the news or the IRS could have created a 1-800-number with a recording. Could have done the whole campaign for $5million EASY !

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080307/ap_on_...t/dear_taxpayer

Edited by TJones

I had to read this twice to believe it. Why is this necessary ? The newshounds love annoucing this stuff nightly, the IRS could have had free advertising on this thing by the news media and put it on the IRS website. I understand that not everyone has a computer, but those that will actually be getting a check back have a means to find out by the news or the IRS could have created a 1-800-number with a recording. Could have done the whole campaign for $5million EASY !

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080307/ap_on_...t/dear_taxpayer

Just more wasted taxpayer dollars. <_<

I'm going to go with maybe... and maybe not.

32 cents a letter seems expensive. I don't think the junk mail industry spends that much to reach me.

If it saves the I.R.S. some money from having to answer the same questions over and over on the 800 number, then I guess it makes sense. But I don't think it's going to save $42 million worth of call center costs.

Sounds like it's part of the I.R.S.' recent efforts to seem more friendly to the average taxpayer, similar to those mailings you get every year from the Social Security Administration letting you know exactly how much money you'll get at retirement.

But the 800 number wouldn't have to be manned, just have a phone bank with the recordings on them. I am inclined to agree that it is the IRS's "Look here, see, we are actually people just like you." approach.

I don't like getting the SS letters either, another waste of killing trees for no reason, and you know full well that I am no treehugger.

Edited by TJones

Don't most of us who read the newspaper or listen to the news (even on radio) know there is some kind of check coming back (the media did a real blanket job on this one)?

This sounds like waste.

Heck, they can just give me the check (forget the envelope).