Former State Rep. Al Edwards Gets Re-elected

JLWM8609

Al Edwards was District 146's State Rep for about 27 years. The only thing that he could always run on was "I got Juneteenth made a state holiday!" Well, why don't I get the day off? Keep in mind, this is the same man who wanted a law to cut off the fingers of drug dealers and stop high school cheerleaders from dancing in an "overly sexual" manner in the name of decency (or is it just cause he liked it too much? :rolleyes: ). He's been the butt of jokes on Jimmy Kimmel Live and at the expense of plenty of neighbors, but somehow, he got re-elected. They didn't re-elect Borris Miles because the news reported he allegedly waved a gun and kissed some married woman on the mouth. Plenty in district 146 know Al's no saint either, but where's my district's priorities? Why did my district re-elect a man who's such an embarrassment? Wanting to cut off drug dealers fingers (even though they'll find a way to deal with their feet instead, lol), ban "suggestive" dancing and say something stupid like "well, basketball players only show their shoulders" as a retort on CNN, and I almost forgot, he wanted to erect a "Black History" statue at the Capitol building that looked just like him.

Al would make a perfect politician character on "The Simpsons". In fact, the "Black History" statue controversy reminds me of Mayor Adam West and the "Dig 'Em" statue on that episode of Family Guy, lol.

Al Edwards was District 146's State Rep for about 27 years. The only thing that he could always run on was "I got Juneteenth made a state holiday!" Well, why don't I get the day off? Keep in mind, this is the same man who wanted a law to cut off the fingers of drug dealers and stop high school cheerleaders from dancing in an "overly sexual" manner in the name of decency (or is it just cause he liked it too much? :rolleyes: ). He's been the butt of jokes on Jimmy Kimmel Live and at the expense of plenty of neighbors, but somehow, he got re-elected. They didn't re-elect Borris Miles because the news reported he allegedly waved a gun and kissed some married woman on the mouth. Plenty in district 146 know Al's no saint either, but where's my district's priorities? Why did my district re-elect a man who's such an embarrassment? Wanting to cut off drug dealers fingers (even though they'll find a way to deal with their feet instead, lol), ban "suggestive" dancing and say something stupid like "well, basketball players only show their shoulders" as a retort on CNN, and I almost forgot, he wanted to erect a "Black History" statue at the Capitol building that looked just like him.

Al would make a perfect politician character on "The Simpsons". In fact, the "Black History" statue controversy reminds me of Mayor Adam West and the "Dig 'Em" statue on that episode of Family Guy, lol.

I take it that me and you were just about the only two folks that voted for Borris... :(

I wasn't happy to hear about the alleged incident with Borris Miles, but assuming it's true, I still think he's better for the community than Al Edwards. If the allegations against Miles are true, I've got to assume Miles has a drinking problem, mental problem, or just a damn good reason to do what he did. Fact is, none of us know. But I do know he's been a successful businessman, helped revitalize Almeda Dr, and did some good things in his only legislative session...much more than Edwards did in his 27 years.

Sad to see Edwards get the job back...but maybe he'll come back with some fire. I don't know if that would be a good thing, either. We may get Booty Bill II next time...

Most people don't understand politics. When I lived in DC the SAME councilmembers (not to mention then Mayor Marion Barry) were voted into office time and time again. The council changed very slowly.

Honestly, I am not about our local politics. It seems very removed from the people and therefore any politician could prolly get voted into office with low turnout.

• 1 month later...

looks like borris miles' fortunes continue to elude him.

State Representative Borris Miles has been indicted on two counts of deadly conduct.

The indictments stem from two different incidents on the same day back in December. The first incident happened during a Rockets/Mavericks game at Toyota Center. At a facility lounge, Miles allegedly pulled a gun on TSU regent Willard Jackson's wife.

The second incident took place at a party thrown by businessman David Harris later that same night. At the party, Miles allegedly pulled a gun on Harris.