Building On Buffalo Bayou

Thinking about buying a lot to build a house on buffalo bayou. The lot is wide but not deep. There is quite a steep incline into the bayou. Worried about building because of the type of lot...sandy, eroding banks and occasional flooding...but unique view.

My biggest concern is how much it will add to the construction costs to make sure that the house does NOT fall into the bayou. I've read that the erosion system has to be customized specific to the lot. Sounds extremely expensive and particular. Don't know if it is worth it. If yes, is there a builder in Houston who could handle this type of lot. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

the ordinance prohibits issuing permits in areas that the city wants to use for drainage purposes. several property owners have been to speak before city council recently on this subject. seems they are irritated that they can no longer build on land that was previously unrestricted.

If you can put a building on the lot, the only increase should be the drilled footings for the foundation. Normally the footings are 8-12 feet deep, but depending on the soil report, you can expect them to be much deeper and more difficult to drill, therefore increasing foundation costs. Otherwise, the overall construction costs should be comparable to a normal home.

My wife and I looked at a similar lot once. She used to live on the bayou in Dickinson, and had to have a bulkhead installed to prevent erosion. I don't know the price ($10-$20k?), but it wasn't very tall and it was on a relatively calm bayou - not the case with Buffalo Bayou.

The Harris County Flood Control District has maps detailed enough to help you find out for sure if the property is in the floodway. If it is, the City will not issue a permit to build. If the property is in a flood plain, you can build, but have to mitigate any dirt you move.

The Harris County Flood Control District has maps detailed enough to help you find out for sure if the property is in the floodway. If it is, the City will not issue a permit to build. If the property is in a flood plain, you can build, but have to mitigate any dirt you move.

The lot is in the floodway, so according to COH Floodplain Ordinance, no new structure can be built.

However, I was under the impression that the COH was approving these on a case by case basis IF it can be proven that there is no adverse impact to the floodplain/floodway.

Does anyone know if that's true for new structures, or is that only on improvements to existing structures? Or is there another category for "redevelopment" of a lot that previously had a structure?

I should have read this morning's Houston Chronicle...it *appears* to have the answer I was looking for:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5561235.html

Interpreting the law

The law's effect on developed properties in floodways is less clear.

Icken said it would have no impact on existing homes or commercial buildings, since officials are interpreting the law to allow reconstruction if steps are taken to improve conveyance of water, such as putting a home on a pier-and-beam foundation rather than a slab.

But Lucco maintained that future administrations might interpret the law differently and said his own experience in dealing with the city shows that different officials seem to have different understandings of what the law allows. This uncertainty, he said, could make potential buyers leery, which in turn would reduce values.

"If you had your choice to buy two properties, one that had this issue and one that didn't, why would you choose to buy the one that had this issue?" Lucco asked.

So, currently (but subject to change with the next administration) the COH is allowing structure to be rebuilt, but only with IMPROVEMENT to conveyance. (Which is another issue in itself...if you improve conveyance, you're moving the floodwaters downstream faster, and possibly creating a new problem downstream...)

I've got to agree with the real estate appraiser...if you have a choice of a floodway property that you *might* be able to build on or a non-floodway property, the choice is easy.

Archived