Endeavour Condominiums

yaga

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I noticed a sign on the beach in Galveston for Endeavor @ Poretto Beach.. It's the same kind of building built by the same developer on the beach side of the seawall, around 10th and Seawall Blvd. (aross from the nasty Jack in the Box and the $8 motel).

Anyone know anthing about this "Endeavor"?

The people at Endeavour said the project at Poretto was about 18 months out. Their project on 61st and Broadway will start first. It is currently being advertised in the Endeavour magazine that is mailed to you free for the asking. A very slick publication.

Ok, so I am losing track of all the projects around the lake. So we have:

1. The Endeavour

2. A 20 story leased tower 250 meters away from Endeavour (for eventual sale as condos)

3. The Marina (What is this going to become)

Wasnt there talk of some more stuff closer to the Kemah boardwalk, maybe some more towers?

I also heard a rumor that the boardwalk might expand some. Anybody heard that?

You're kidding, right?

no. a good friend from work is involved with the city of seabrook and she was the one telling me. since they were kinda built out, the only way to get new stuff was to go up so they changed their ordinances to allow buildings like this.

im pretty sure the 10 number were around the lake, not just in seabrook.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I heard about that too. It was the workers first day on the job. OSAH will make a visit, it's madatory after a worksite fatalaty.

In downtown back in the 60's there was a tragic death of several plumbers and a teamster who all died when an outside elevator lift malfunctioned and fell about 20 floors, killing all on board. I think it was the Houston House condominiums. My dad and grandfather knew most of the guys personally. The building was painted black for years. OSHA was not created until several years later.

Yeah, I heard about that too. It was the workers first day on the job. OSAH will make a visit, it's madatory after a worksite fatalaty.

In downtown back in the 60's there was a tragic death of several plumbers and a teamster who all died when an outside elevator lift malfunctioned and fell about 20 floors, killing all on board. I think it was the Houston House condominiums. My dad and grandfather knew most of the guys personally. The building was painted black for years. OSHA was not created until several years later.

OSHA (not OSAH) will make the final determination, but how does someone "wander away" from their designated worksite and "accidentally" fall to their death? At 30 stories high, there is no secret that this is a dangerous worksite. My gut feeling is that he committed suicide, and now his family is trying to profit. If I am wrong, I pray that God will forgive me. A worker's death does not always have a bearing on the design of the building. Sadly, accidents happen. Some can be prevented, either by the efforts of the designer or by the care of the workers. This was not a building malfunction. This was an unfortunate decision on the part of the worker.

OSHA (not OSAH) will make the final determination, but how does someone "wander away" from their designated worksite and "accidentally" fall to their death? At 30 stories high, there is no secret that this is a dangerous worksite. My gut feeling is that he committed suicide, and now his family is trying to profit. If I am wrong, I pray that God will forgive me. A worker's death does not always have a bearing on the design of the building. Sadly, accidents happen. Some can be prevented, either by the efforts of the designer or by the care of the workers. This was not a building malfunction. This was an unfortunate decision on the part of the worker.

It happens, though not usually by a construction worker. A lot of jumpers see buildings under construction as their way out of this world. Maybe it's the ease of access. Maybe it's the skeletal look, same that attracts them to bridges.

Either way, it's not unprecedented. Someone killed themselves jumping off a tower under construction in the Galleria area around 2003 (1221 Post Oak, I think. I could be wrong.) Since then I've heard of at least four other similar incidents in other cities. It happens.

• 3 weeks later...

Drove down Nasa Rd 1 yesterday and saw a sign a few blocks west of The Endeavor that said Endeavor II. They had plywood up which blocked my view of the site. I had no idea they would build them so close together. If this is indeed the site.

A friend of mine was at the Seabrook Beach Club this weekend. He was told that they (the Seabrook Beach Club) had been bought by Endeavour and their last day will be Halloween, Oct. 31st. According to whoever he talked to at the Seabrook Beach Club, Endeavour will demolish the club and build their second condo highrise on Clear Lake.

Can you confirm this, Endeavour Team?

I was down in Seabrook on Saturdy and was actually pretty impressed at how the Endeavor did not look at horrible as the Mercer, which was designed by the same architect and used the same construction techniques. I'm not saying that its an architectural gem, just that it could've been far worse.

Normally I am a high rise freak, but this building is both ugly and out of place. The developers should have designed a neighborhood of low and mid rise buildings with a nice mix of retail and residential before moving forward with a 30+ story tower.

Just my humble opinion.

Normally I am a high rise freak, but this building is both ugly and out of place. The developers should have designed a neighborhood of low and mid rise buildings with a nice mix of retail and residential before moving forward with a 30+ story tower.

Just my humble opinion.

How exactly do you design a whole neighborhood of midrises, lowrises, and retail on 2.4 acres? Double-deck them? :huh:

Sites along the main body of Clear Lake are very difficult to come by and expensive. When a developer can get a hold of them, they're paying out the nose and planning highrises. By my count, there have been at least another 15 proposed along both sides of the lake and even on the opposite side of 146 closer to the bay. While I doubt that all 15 will get built, Endeavor is destined not to stand alone for very long.

Just my humble opinion.

I agree with you Kenc. This building sticks out like the middle finger of architecture. And it saddens me they are planning more of them.

• 3 weeks later...
Yes... :ph34r:

Great. It would be cool if someone could post it (please). That would be a cool thing to see. Hopefully , there will be some towers clustered together so that it has some beginings of density.

So I was re-reading this entire thread, and came across this description for the Marina property that Endeavour had purchased:

"Endeavour Marina on Clear Lake is a $20-million, 97,800-sq.-ft. mixed-use development on six acres in Seabrook, Texas. In March, Endeavour Holdings closed on a deal that gives the firm 100-percent ownership of the marina, which it will rehabilitate. In addition to a full-service marina with dry-rack storage for 400 powerboats up to 38 feet each, the community will feature a high-rise loft condominium building; luxury hotel; public boardwalks; two banquet rooms, each with a 300-person capacity; and 25,000 square feet of office and retail space.

"

So, it will include:

A marina for 400 boats each up to 38ft length

A high-rise loft condo building

luxury hotel

25,000 sq. ft of retail space

public boardwalks

So, I wonder if these boardwalks would be simple ones, or would they have retail lined around it? Boy, that would be cool: 2 baordwalks, Kemah and this one. This area could become quite a destination. I can picture neon-ligned streetscapes with shops all over the place. A combination of Coney Island, South Padre, maybe even a touch of Miami. I know, I'm dreaming. But you never know.

So does anyone have any info on how these boardwalks at the Marina would be like?

Great. It would be cool if someone could post it (please). That would be a cool thing to see. Hopefully , there will be some towers clustered together so that it has some beginings of density.

Best not to hold your breath. Everything that I've seen indicates that these proposed towers are basically all over the place--with perhaps one exception.

http://www.beacon-island.com/builderreserves.html

Best not to hold your breath. Everything that I've seen indicates that these proposed towers are basically all over the place--with perhaps one exception.

http://www.beacon-island.com/builderreserves.html

This development sounds a little on the snooty-side. But it states some there will be high-rise and mid-rise developments so it just adds to the skyline, so I guess it's all good.

I was hoping someone out there had a map that showed ALL the towers planned in the entire area.

It's all good.

This development sounds a little on the snooty-side. But it states some there will be high-rise and mid-rise developments so it just adds to the skyline, so I guess it's all good.

I was hoping someone out there had a map that showed ALL the towers planned in the entire area.

It's all good.

This development needs its own thread, for sure. I like it a lot.

What has this little island been all this time? Just shrubs?

And niche, can you at least tell us the names of the developments there that have websites?

Archived