Tornado Safety

editor

Got this message from Harris County Homeland Security. I guess with warmer weather approaching, it wants to give everyone a reminder.

-------------

TORNADO FACTS

Tornadoes are nature's most violent storms. Spawned from powerful thunderstorms, tornadoes can cause fatalities and devastate a neighborhood in seconds. A tornado appears as a rotating, funnel-shaped cloud that extends from a thunderstorm to the ground with whirling winds that can reach 300 miles per hour. Damage paths can be in excess of one mile wide and 50 miles long. Every state is at some risk from this hazard.

Some tornadoes are clearly visible, while rain or nearby low-hanging clouds obscure others. Occasionally, tornadoes develop so rapidly that little, if any, advance warning is possible.

Before a tornado hits, the wind may die down and the air may become very still. A cloud of debris can mark the location of a tornado even if a funnel is not visible. Tornadoes generally occur near the trailing edge of a thunderstorm. It is not uncommon to see clear, sunlit skies behind a tornado.

The following are facts about tornadoes:

. They may strike quickly, with little or no warning.

. They may appear nearly transparent until dust and debris are picked up or a cloud forms in the funnel.

. The average tornado moves Southwest to Northeast, but tornadoes have been known to move in any direction.

. The average forward speed of a tornado is 30 MPH, but may vary from stationary to 70 MPH.

. Tornadoes can accompany tropical storms and hurricanes as they move onto land.

. Waterspouts are tornadoes that form over water.

. Tornadoes are most frequently reported east of the Rocky Mountains during spring and summer months.

. Peak tornado season in the southern states is March through May; in the northern states, it is late spring through early summer.

. Tornadoes are most likely to occur between 3 p.m. and 9 p.m., but can occur at any time.

WHAT TO DO BEFORE A TORNADO

Be alert to changing weather conditions.

. Listen to NOAA Weather Radio or to commercial radio or television newscasts for the latest information.

. Look for approaching storms

. Look for the following danger signs:

o Dark, often greenish sky

o Large hail

o A large, dark, low-lying cloud (particularly if rotating)

o Loud roar, similar to a freight train.

If you see approaching storms or any of the danger signs, be prepared to take shelter immediately.

WHAT TO DO DURING A TORNADO

If you are under a tornado WARNING, seek shelter immediately!

If you are in: Then:

A structure (e.g. residence, small building, school, nursing home, hospital, factory, shopping center, high-rise building) Go to a pre-designated shelter area such as a safe room, basement, storm cellar, or the lowest building level. If there is no basement, go to the center of an interior room on the lowest level (closet, interior hallway) away from corners, windows, doors, and outside walls. Put as many walls as possible between you and the outside. Get under a sturdy table and use your arms to protect your head and neck. Do not open windows.

A vehicle, trailer, or mobile home Get out immediately and go to the lowest floor of a sturdy, nearby building or a storm shelter. Mobile homes, even if tied down, offer little protection from tornadoes.

The outside with no shelter Lie flat in a nearby ditch or depression and cover your head with your hands. Be aware of the potential for flooding.

Do not get under an overpass or bridge. You are safer in a low, flat location.

Never try to outrun a tornado in urban or congested areas in a car or truck. Instead, leave the vehicle immediately for safe shelter.

Watch out for flying debris. Flying debris from tornadoes causes most fatalities and injuries.

They also happen in the most unusual places. I still have the video that we recorded of the news when Jack Cato was a report for KHOU 11. I think around 1992-93? and there was a fast short lived twister that started around U of H main campus, flipped several cars then skipped over 45 straight towards Dumble and towards Telephone Rd onto Harrisburg where it tore out a huge chunk of a church near Sampson street?

The apts right on Dumble and 45 had the roof lifted and be damned if it sucked a refrigerator and threw it on Dumble! On Sharpe street it flattened a garage apt on top of a car/s parked under then onto Munger broke many windows, knocked over wooden fences and tore off many shingles (including our house) split trees all over the place. Our lawn furniture was over 2 houses in a neighbors back yard.

I was at work downtown when it happened (around 4:30pm) but it rained extremely hard with plenty of lightening but we did not know how bad it was just East until I drove back and heard sirens and debris blocking the streets all around the Broadmoor area. It was weird. All the neighbors were standing around kind of stunned. It was a very rare deal. Glad I got on VHS (somewhere). I'll never forget that frig in the street. This was one of those that touch down very briefly and go back up it seems. My mom and brother were in the house when they said the TV went dead and the power and you could just hear debris slapping all around the house. They got in the middle hall and it was over quickly. Then every one went outside to see what the hell it was. So these things happen anywhere. :blink:

They also happen in the most unusual places. I still have the video that we recorded of the news when Jack Cato was a report for KHOU 11. I think around 1992-93? and there was a fast short lived twister that started around U of H main campus, flipped several cars then skipped over 45 straight towards Dumble and towards Telephone Rd onto Harrisburg where it tore out a huge chunk of a church near Sampson street?

The apts right on Dumble and 45 had the roof lifted and be damned if it sucked a refrigerator and threw it on Dumble! On Sharpe street it flattened a garage apt on top of a car/s parked under then onto Munger broke many windows, knocked over wooden fences and tore off many shingles (including our house) split trees all over the place. Our lawn furniture was over 2 houses in a neighbors back yard.

I was at work downtown when it happened (around 4:30pm) but it rained extremely hard with plenty of lightening but we did not know how bad it was just East until I drove back and heard sirens and debris blocking the streets all around the Broadmoor area. It was weird. All the neighbors were standing around kind of stunned. It was a very rare deal. Glad I got on VHS (somewhere). I'll never forget that frig in the street. This was one of those that touch down very briefly and go back up it seems. My mom and brother were in the house when they said the TV went dead and the power and you could just hear debris slapping all around the house. They got in the middle hall and it was over quickly. Then every one went outside to see what the hell it was. So these things happen anywhere. :blink:

There was also another one that hit Southmore (not sure if that was the same year) that damaged part of St. James Church there in 3rd Ward.

There was also another one that hit Southmore (not sure if that was the same year) that damaged part of St. James Church there in 3rd Ward.

Your probably correct. I clearly recall them interviewing some students that had just left U of H classes. If you see the Eastwodd Transit Center connecting bridge now, you can still see the scrapes of paint it removed as it passed over. Sad that it has not been repainted after all those years? The apts I mentioned just next to the transit center never rebuilt the carport either its just a empty parking area now.

The most strange thing is after it left the sun came out really clear and bright and very, very quiet no birds? and just sounds of city trucks trying to restore the power. Our neighbors across the street had a big bay window that smashed. These things must act as giant vacuum cleaners or whatever. Luckily our insurance replaced our roof and front porch. Again it's the stillness afterwards thats weird.

I clearly remember that tornado. It hit back in late 2003/early 2004, did some damage over at St. Mary's Catholic Church too. The 1940 St. James Church structure was destroyed or heavily damaged. Either way, there's a brand new sanctuary there now.

• 3 months later...
I clearly remember that tornado. It hit back in late 2003/early 2004, did some damage over at St. Mary's Catholic Church too. The 1940 St. James Church structure was destroyed or heavily damaged. Either way, there's a brand new sanctuary there now.

I need to get by the new one. I know the music director there, but haven't been a member since I was little.

I think around 1992-93? and there was a fast short lived twister that started around U of H main campus, flipped several cars then skipped over 45 straight towards Dumble and towards Telephone Rd onto Harrisburg where it tore out a huge chunk of a church near Sampson street?

I was at work downtown when it happened (around 4:30pm) ...

I'm thinking that there were two tornados within the city limits of Houston in the early 90's.

I'm quite familiar with one of them; it struck my apartment building, while I was at home. That sound is unforgettable.

November 16, 1993, 9:20-ish AM. It pretty much obliterated four or five apartments in my building, and several in other nearby buildings as well. Among the casualties was a mint '66 Olds Toronado, crushed by a flying air conditioning unit. That no one was killed is a miracle.

This tornado started near the Med Center, skipped over to Westmoreland (where, ironically, it caused damage ONLY to non-historic buildings), then petered out on the south side of downtown, where one of the energy companies (I forget which) lost several windows.

My recollection is that the southeast side tornado struck a year or two later.

I'm thinking that there were two tornados within the city limits of Houston in the early 90's.

I'm quite familiar with one of them; it struck my apartment building, while I was at home. That sound is unforgettable.

November 16, 1993, 9:20-ish AM. It pretty much obliterated four or five apartments in my building, and several in other nearby buildings as well. Among the casualties was a mint '66 Olds Toronado, crushed by a flying air conditioning unit. That no one was killed is a miracle.

This tornado started near the Med Center, skipped over to Westmoreland (where, ironically, it caused damage ONLY to non-historic buildings), then petered out on the south side of downtown, where one of the energy companies (I forget which) lost several windows.

My recollection is that the southeast side tornado struck a year or two later.

I knew I had that story on VHS tape. I found it the other day and played. Jack Cato was the anchor so that should date it. The one I was describing did cross U of H main campus flipping cars passing pretty much over Broadmoor area and continued all the way to Harrisburg or rather towards the Settegast area and went away. I recall the quietness, stillness and bright sunshine almost immediately after all was done with.

Weird :ph34r:

Archived