Emporium Architectural & Antiques At 1800 Westheimer Rd.

That'd be pretty ironic if it's the one that kicked out Diedrich's :)

I got some skinny on this. There will be two buildings with a driveway between them. One building will be a salon, the other is unknown. The salon will border Woodhead, with the door to the building facing Woodhead. There will be windows along the Westheimer side. The building is two stories. It is a contemporary design. I saw renderings and I thought it was pretty cool. The building will be built close to the sidewalk, so we don't have to worry about a strip mall going in there. Parking is in the back.

All in all, from the drawings I saw, I think we will all be pretty pleased with this, especially given the alternatives. The building incorporates some interesting designs and is well-situated on the site. I hear that they plan to be open this summer.

I got some skinny on this. There will be two buildings with a driveway between them. One building will be a salon, the other is unknown. The salon will border Woodhead, with the door to the building facing Woodhead. There will be windows along the Westheimer side. The building is two stories. It is a contemporary design. I saw renderings and I thought it was pretty cool. The building will be built close to the sidewalk, so we don't have to worry about a strip mall going in there. Parking is in the back.

All in all, from the drawings I saw, I think we will all be pretty pleased with this, especially given the alternatives. The building incorporates some interesting designs and is well-situated on the site. I hear that they plan to be open this summer.

Excellent news... Now if we could only get something done about that gas station, lol

Excellent news... Now if we could only get something done about that gas station, lol

Sorry Okie, I just can't agree with you on that. I've been frequenting the AZ Food Mart for 15 years, even though they only sell losing lottery tickets. Eagle Express dry cleaners next door is the answer to every stain. And I've even had to call Bravo locksmith a few times. I need that corner. On the other hand, if you wanted to gut RMS across the street, I'd support you 100%.

Sorry Okie, I just can't agree with you on that. I've been frequenting the AZ Food Mart for 15 years, even though they only sell losing lottery tickets. Eagle Express dry cleaners next door is the answer to every stain. And I've even had to call Bravo locksmith a few times. I need that corner. On the other hand, if you wanted to gut RMS across the street, I'd support you 100%.

Ok, ok...but a remodel wouldn't hurt :)

Not a huge fan of RMS, either, but I'm sure there are others out there who need them as well. In five years we'll probably have neither - both will be replaced by hair salons, no doubt

Ok, ok...but a remodel wouldn't hurt

Not a huge fan of RMS, either, but I'm sure there are others out there who need them as well. In five years we'll probably have neither - both will be replaced by hair salons, no doubt

I'd back you a remodel, but don't touch the distinctive smell of the AZ. And I just had a weird flashback to something I haven't thought of in years. I think there used to be a Mexican lady who sold tacos in there -- like 10 years ago. Can anyone confirm that?

Replacing that stuff with fab salons wouldn't be all bad I suppose. It beats nail salons and Cingular Wireless storefronts. I'm a little perturbed that the proximity to Lanier keeps bars out though. I don't go to bars as much as I used to, but I take some comfort in knowing that there are good number that I can walk to and stagger home from.

Or as I like to call RMS -Get them out of there, I'd prefer a parking lot to those pirates.

I'm with you. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Well, I gave RMS the chance to rip me for a third time and the did it. Just call me stupid. That was 10 years ago and I haven't been back. Erick's Auto on the other hand, always took care of me. And you can wait out your repairs at the Alabama Ice House.

Really, it seemed that as soon as the orginal owners moved to California about 4 years ago? The place never regained the charm it once had. They always had they big cute fuzzy kitty that would lurk around as you sifted through good old items. I knew the end was near when I learned that poor kitty went to cat heaven after the move.

This is another Houston iconic centerpiece going or gone? away. More coffee shops insert here? Hope not. -_-

• 2 weeks later...

I saw them working on this site today, and although not much has been done, I am happy that this strip of Westheimer is developing so nicely. The only downside is it's not close enough to the Metro Rail or proposed rail in my opinion, but at least it's only a few miles from where I live.

Actually, I guess it will only be a 5 minute or so walk up Dunlavy from the proposed rail stop to Westheimer, and that's not so bad.

I saw them working on this site today, and although not much has been done, I am happy that this strip of Westheimer is developing so nicely. The only downside is it's not close enough to the Metro Rail or proposed rail in my opinion, but at least it's only a few miles from where I live.

Actually, I guess it will only be a 5 minute or so walk up Dunlavy from the proposed rail stop to Westheimer, and that's not so bad.

It's a wee bit more than that (I've walked home from the Med Center that way a few times) but still eminently walkable and enough to build up a thirst for a beer at anyone of the numerous cafes and bars on that part of the road. It's coming along nicely for sure, thriving even, esp. late morning/early Saturday afternoon.

• 1 month later...
I walked by the former site of the Architectural Emporium on Westheimer and Woodhead and the outdoor portion, comprised of the old car lot and outdoor portion of the emporium, was fenced off. Someone has been digging and put a couple of port-a-johns on the property. I haven't seen any signs for variances or anything up there, so it may be something as pedestrian as a parking lot, but does anyone know what is going on up here?

Please tell me that the places close to where this Emporium* was are still there. I saw the Witches Hat *there once. One is on the right, (heading East) - strip center with garage doors, lots of "streamlined" , blond, 1930-40's looking furniture there, among other vintage things, next to it & across the street, more stores, several old wood frame homes turned into antique stores. Was a neat area to "hunt" for stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

Even for Houston that is the most uninspired building I've seen in a long time. And totally out of place on that street and neighborhood and across from the lovely middle school. The parking lot had more appeal. UGH.

Edited by missmsry

As has been pointed out, at least it's better than another parking lot facing Westheimer. While unlovely, the brick facades are more in keeping with the existing buildings on that portion of Westheimer than some icky ocher pseudo stucco (and say that three times, fast!)

Had an eye opener today on Westheimer. We were making the rounds of the antique and junk dealers we visit a couple times a year. Went into the building on Westheimer across from Empire. Talking to the lady there (Julie King) and she's having to move in a month. Her rent was raised to $6,500. BJs found a new space down on the curve not long ago, but say goodbye to most of the old dealers on that stretch.

For anyone shopping, especially for cabinets and dining tables, get yourself down there in the next month or so. We saw people making some pretty crazy deals on large pieces the dealers don't want to move.

Had an eye opener today on Westheimer. We were making the rounds of the antique and junk dealers we visit a couple times a year. Went into the building on Westheimer across from Empire. Talking to the lady there (Julie King) and she's having to move in a month. Her rent was raised to $6,500. BJs found a new space down on the curve not long ago, but say goodbye to most of the old dealers on that stretch.

For anyone shopping, especially for cabinets and dining tables, get yourself down there in the next month or so. We saw people making some pretty crazy deals on large pieces the dealers don't want to move.

Yikes. Commericial rents have been on the upswing for awhile around here and I think the writing is on the wall for a bunch of the old businesses that lease their space. I hope that the owner plans on doing something with the building that is there. It's a great old building with some great potential.

I hope that the owner plans on doing something with the building that is there. It's a great old building with some great potential.

That's the former Hollyfield Laundry building. It, the Empire Cafe building (formerly The Locker, Different Drum and Chutes) and the building to the west which is now also an antique sales space (the former Loading Dock) were all owned by Jay Hollyfield back in the day.

• The title was changed to Plans For Old Architectural Emporium On Woodhead St. & Westheimer Rd.
  • The title was changed to The Emporium At 1800 Westheimer Rd.