Power Tools

crunchtastic

I know a forum full of men who engage in home building, flipping and improvement can come to my aid:

Would you consider a compound miter saw a good Valentine's Day gift? Assuming you were thinking of getting one and you actually needed it?

Or is it sort of like getting the wife a treadmill? Thoughtful, but sending the wrong message--like a nagging reminder of projects to finish.

Edited by crunchtastic

Two posts in a row for me, and I'm still in the same section!

Fine Homebuilding was a writeup for a CMS from Craftsman for $90 (March Issue, p. 40). It uses a 7 1/4" blade (circular saw blade), and has a laser track guide. That saw would suit the purposes of most mome remodelers.

You can spend upwards of $600 and more for a good 12" slider, but how often would you use it?

It's hard to buy a tool for someone unless you know exactly the tool they want. I would suggest a gift certificate to Amazon.com, and let him choose the one he wants.

Bottom line, though, I can't imagine doing a remodel without a CMS.

I know a forum full of men who engage in home building, flipping and improvement can come to my aid:

Would you consider a compound miter saw a good Valentine's Day gift? Assuming you were thinking of getting one and you actually needed it?

have you been pushing him to do a project for you? :D

Now, do I seem like I'm a taskmaster, musicman?? :P

Actually all the DIY stuff is a joint effort. He does the technical work and I do the scut.

I know 2 models he's had his eye on, so I feel pretty comfortable about that. I figured I'd spring for the slightly better one he probably wouldn't buy for himslef. We don't need the $600 version, that's for sure.

My heart would practically explode with joy over being given such a gift. I think it is totally different with men and powertools than women and, ummm, powertools masquerading as home appliances.

The fact that they can be used for chores is almost secondary to the coolness of the tool.

white trash night, progressive darkwave.......oh yeah, not that power tools. ;)

yes tools are cool. buying a new tool and bringing it home is half the fun. i figure (when i come in the door with a new tool) i look like my weimeraner when she comes to the back door with a stick too big.

Any guy that is not overjoyed at getting a new compound miter should have his manhood seriously questioned.

BTW, go for the big 10 inch. It is infinitely more useful than a 7 1/4, and not much more expensive. 12 inch is for the pros.

As much as I want to, I'm not even going to touch that...... :lol:

7 and 1/4 ? I don't recall seeing one that small. What good could that possibly be?

I'm going for the 10 inch with laser. My house has an abundance of trim that needs work, so it will get a workout.

There is so much more to buying a tool than trying to get the biggest for the best price. But many considerations can only be realized after usage on many and varied applications.

So true! This will be a test, since he's never owned one. I find that with tools after a couple of years, you finally figure out what you really need.

What did you buy him, I myself am partial to the DW708 12" Dewalt Dual Compound Miter Saw. It really can't be beat.

Ended up with a smaller, cheaper one. Ryobi 10 ". Can't recall the model number, but it was the top end of ( I think) three different 10 inch Ryobi models. Sapce was a consideration, too. Some of those 12 inch models were huge.

heres a secret..Harbour Frieght is a very large tool company...large enough that they have the big names (milwakee for one) build their own line of tools for about half the price....go to one of their stores and you will see their tool brand next to the one that is exactly like it.

Problem with Harbor Freight, Homier Tools, and all those junk tool companies that also sell name brand tools so cheap. They are refurbished not new, (and not by Dewalt, Ryobi, etc. They are refurbished in sweat shop type plants that slap in a new set of brushes and call it good.), and the few new ones they get are factory seconds that are bore than just surface blemish, BEWARE, be very very careful. Think whatever you want, but what I tell you is the absolute truth, I know this from first hand knowledge. They sell Chinese made junk tools as their bread and butter, and they may be stamped "drop forged" but they are no more drop forged than my Johnson. I went to college with the current Harbor Freight tool brokerage manager. His department seeks out tool sources and purchases them for Harbor Freight. And cheaper is their only goal, quality has no vote in where they get their tools from. Their whole concept is that of a shot gun theory. They saturate the market with cheaper tools, playing the percentages that the tools last long enough to get past their cheesy little warranty. They make their real money on the Chinese stuff that got their label on it because they get it so unbelievably cheap. Harbor Freight manufactures squat, they buy generic Chinese made tools and put their label on them. It hit or miss, sometimes you get a good deal sometimes you get burned, and then go through the hole RMA process and so forth and so on. Just be careful is all I say. You have to use your head, if the price is too good to be true, well there is a reason for that.

And I am not going to get into a big debate with someone who has bought a million dollars worth of their stuff, and never had a problem. Take my advice for WIW and vote your conscience. No debate necessary.