Southeast Houston History Book

I am not sure of the protocol on mentioning a book that is for sale on the forum, but, if possible, I did want to let forum members know of my southeast Houston history book that was finished being printed last month. See www.telephoneroadtexas.com for more info. It is a start in doing more to document the important and interesting people and events in often overlooked southeast Houston. I grew up in Gulf Meadows near Telephone and Fuqua and went to Mt. Carmel High School and UH. I am 34 years old and had no idea of so many interesting things that had happened in the area, most before my time. I would guess there are plenty of forum members who are also surprised at really amazing things they come across in Houston history. A lot of cool things I came across are on the website and looked at in more detail in the book. I don't know of any other southeast Houston history books so wanted to let people know that it is out there if interested. Thanks, Burton Chapman

I am not sure of the protocol on mentioning a book that is for sale on the forum, but, if possible, I did want to let forum members know of my southeast Houston history book that was finished being printed last month. See www.telephoneroadtexas.com for more info. It is a start in doing more to document the important and interesting people and events in often overlooked southeast Houston. I grew up in Gulf Meadows near Telephone and Fuqua and went to Mt. Carmel High School and UH. I am 34 years old and had no idea of so many interesting things that had happened in the area, most before my time. I would guess there are plenty of forum members who are also surprised at really amazing things they come across in Houston history. A lot of cool things I came across are on the website and looked at in more detail in the book. I don't know of any other southeast Houston history books so wanted to let people know that it is out there if interested. Thanks, Burton Chapman

I am also a graduate of Mount Carmel High and I too, have self-published a book dealing with local history called Kotton, Port, Rail Center: A History of Early Radio in Houston. The book covers the primitive inception of radio in our city and how it evolved into Houston radio broadcasting scene during the 1920s. I see that you have created a website for your book. I need to do the same.

Good luck on your book!

I am also a graduate of Mount Carmel High and I too, have self-published a book dealing with local history called Kotton, Port, Rail Center: A History of Early Radio in Houston. The book covers the primitive inception of radio in our city and how it evolved into Houston radio broadcasting scene during the 1920s. I see that you have created a website for your book. I need to do the same.

Good luck on your book!

^Can you still buy it at the visitor center downtown? and a web site would be great!

Got my book yesterday!. I was up late last night reading the book and learning more things about Houston I never knew. Thanks Burton. I'm really enjoying myself. Now I'm looking forward to the extended version.

Got the book yesterday and read it straight through. Brought back a ton of memories. I remember almost every place mentioned in the book. The Medical Office and Blacks Pharmecy is where my first Dr. was. My pediatrician was Dr. Mintz. I later went to Dr. Nirken who was his nephew and wound up taking my first son to Dr. Nirken as well.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I had done some writing about growing up on Telephone Road and what follows is one part of my (hopefully) future Book.

Houston lies on the coastal plain of the Gulf of Mexico. The Southeast area of Houston where I grew up was a mere 45

miles from Galveston Island. The geography is flat with a minimum elevation above sea level. Numerous Bayous such

as Buffalo, Braes and Sims run through Houston making their way to the Ship Channel and Galveston Bay on their way

to the Gulf. These Bayous are slow meandering waterways most of the year. For several days a year they are the

primary channels for carrying the approximately 60 inches of rain we average every year in Houston out to sea. They

are also a wondrous destination for kids to discover who knows what and sometimes even observe nature. From my

house on Askew the closest Bayou to us was Braes Bayou. It crossed under Telephone Road about nine blocks away

from my house. Many days were spent riding our bikes over to the Bayou to see what great adventures we could find.

On one of these trips we decided to cross the Telephone Road bridge over the bayou and go down the embankment on

the other side. As we did we stopped to look in the water and noticed nine or ten alligator gar swimming near the

surface. Well that meant only one thing of course. We were going to catch them. What we did with them from there we

had no idea, but we were determined to prove our manhood by taming the deadly wild beast known as the Alligator

Gar. The name evoked fear among whoever heard it. They were mythical beasts with rows and rows of razor sharp

teeth that could severe a limb with a single bit. The Great White Shark had nothing on these guys if you heard our

description of them.

Once we decided to do something, Ricky, Donald, Tim, Jimmy and I were determined to devote our every

waking hour to solving the issue. Upon our decision to catch the gar we immediately launched into a discussion of what

kind of hook to use, what kind of bait, a fishing pole or hand line, from the bridge, or from the bank. These decisions

swirled in our head and filled our minds constantly. We abandoned our trip to the far bank of the bayou and returned to

my house to solve the problem. After much debate and some arguing the strategy was decided. Hand line of 365lb test

nylon string with a steel leader with three drops, one for the weight and two for hooks. One hook would be the largest

treble hook we could find while the second would be the largest single hook we had. Since these fierce denizens of the

bayou were flesh eaters the bait of choice would be butcher

Brer

Maybe you can start a blog?

I would love to read this but the lines run toooooo close together.

Kind of tough for the common viewer's eyes.

I personally prefer to hear/read of the experiences of a more seasoned person like yourself. The person that wrote this book I think is just too young to be able to know what people like yourself experienced growing up in Telephone Rd/Shangrila. :D

It's funny we used to joke and tell people at party's a long time ago that we were from Telephone Road Texas and Lord and behold someone makes a song and now a book.

It was just a common self-deprecating joke. Hah!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Burton for all the hard work on that book! I especially enjoyed the Gulfgate Shopping City and Santa Rosa Theater articles. I also grew up in Southeast Houston, in Oak Meadows (1960's). I am a fourth generation Houstonian. My great grandfather's family donated land to Golfcrest Country Club. The family name is on the Block Book records. The family house sits directly across the residential road from Tel-wink Grill. My family has inherited several antiques from that house. Also, my great grandmother (Nena E.)has a library dedicated to her in Central Park.My grandmother lived in Pecan Park.My root's are deep.It's funny,my father always told me stories of the Christy Circus, when we would drive by that house, off Old Galveston Road.I thought he was spinning a tall tale. Nice to know it was really true.HaHa!! :)

Surprisingly, the address for the home across from TelWink Grill is 2916 Golfcrest. The house is in sad shape, I barely recognized it. It is a 2-story structure, previously had a fully screened in front porch, shutter overhangs on windows to block direct sun. Remembered it as being quite scary to a 5 or 6 year old in the early 1960's, it had tall ceilings, was very dark...bet it was something special in it's day.

• 2 months later...

Nena, thanks for kind words about my book and sharing your memories of growing up in southeast Houston. If your great-grandfather donated land for Golfcrest County Club then your family goes way way back. That is special in an area like Houston where it seems everybody has moved here from somewhere else. One thing you and other southeast Houston history aficionados may enjoy is an article about the interim NASA buildings throughout SE Houston. It should be in the upcoming UH magazine called Houston History. The whole edition will be about NASA. I worked on the Ambox building history for the book, but was amazed at how many of the dozen or so other buildings used by NASA that are still around today. That St. Austin Center on Wayside next to Villa de Matel, a Quonset hut shaped building on the UH campus, the Robert's Carpet building on 45 feeder by Canada Dry Street, and an old two story building across from Palm Center were just a few of the buildings I have seen forever, but didn't know they were old NASA buildings too. The article should include old photos of these buildings from the early 1960s. I will have to look for that old home you mention across from the Tel-Wink next time I am up that way. Please let me know if you or your family come across any old photos of the area for use in updated version of southeast Houston book. Thanks again, Burton

Nena, thanks for kind words about my book and sharing your memories of growing up in southeast Houston. If your great-grandfather donated land for Golfcrest County Club then your family goes way way back. ...I will have to look for that old home you mention across from the Tel-Wink next time I am up that way. Please let me know if you or your family come across any old photos of the area for use in updated version of southeast Houston book. Thanks again, Burton

I have a hunch that my great-grandfathers family owned the land that lead to the Golfcrest C.Club, will have to verify that. (since the road leading to the Club is named Golfcrest & is right in front of the family land). Maybe they needed access through the property road. <_< Old letters from that house talk about the coming of the Interurban Railway. My aunt is going to give me more pics & info. soon, will see what I can find. I'm amazed that there were so many Country Club/Golf Courses in the early 1900's, in the East End. Didn't think there were that many people then. Found a reference to Houston History, on HAIF before. It is a really good source, will be subscribing to that soon(and attending UH).Thanks for the tip!

Also, my brother can help, has done quite a bit of family geneaology research(very interesting), and he's a real estate agent...very handy when you are looking for home histories! Knows right where to go to find documentation.

One thing you and other southeast Houston history aficionados may enjoy is an article about the interim NASA buildings throughout SE Houston. It should be in the upcoming UH magazine called Houston History. The whole edition will be about NASA. I worked on the Ambox building history for the book, but was amazed at how many of the dozen or so other buildings used by NASA that are still around today. That St. Austin Center on Wayside next to Villa de Matel, a Quonset hut shaped building on the UH campus, the Robert's Carpet building on 45 feeder by Canada Dry Street, and an old two story building across from Palm Center were just a few of the buildings I have seen forever, but didn't know they were old NASA buildings too.

The headquarters of the Houston Parks & Recreation Department addressed at 2999 S. Wayside also served as the interim main offices for NASA during the Mercury project of the early 1960s.

Currently, the building is being renovated.

The headquarters of the Houston Parks & Recreation Department addressed at 2999 S. Wayside also served as the interim main offices for NASA during the Mercury project of the early 1960s.

Currently, the building is being renovated.

Fez, nice to hear it's receiving some first aid...it's a beautiful bldg., was in it a couple years back. Was breath-taking, porte-cochere in front, planter boxes, long, wide walkways, indoor/outdoor feel after entering, full lenth glass, believe it had atrium in the middle. :wub: The office wing to the rt. needed attention, saw water damage...so typical of Houston. (I knew the history before I entered, it was in my copy of AIA Architecture Guide). Those astronauts were "everywhere".

• 2 weeks later...

Burton:

I bought your book a few weeks back. I spent a lot of time going over the book with my Dad. I grew up in Park Place and went to Milby. My Dad is 71 and has worked and lived in the Broadway area his entire life There was a lot of things that I learned in the book. In talking with my Dad, I just found out that there have been many changes with the churches around the Circle at Broadway. Fire Station 26 (on Dixie) used to be where Park Place Methodist Church is now. St. Christopher's was on the opposite side of the freeway from where it is now.

Your book has brought up a lot of converstations.

Archived