Metro's New "signature" Bus Service

editor

• 2 weeks later...
The contract will authorize Pfeiffer & Son, Ltd. to start construction of site improvements for Signature bus stops along Bellaire Boulevard from Ranchester to the Texas Medical Center (TMC) Transit Center.

Who, that lives around Ranchester, is going to be interested in a "Signature" Metro bus service?

Edited by Jeebus

Who, that lives around Ranchester, is going to be interested in a "Signature" Metro bus service?

I suppose it would be residents who work in the Med Center and want a faster bus ride. Who wouldn't want that? :blink:

I'd also be interested in the line...I don't live near Ranchester, but I work in the vicinity. Now I just need to know where the TMC Transit Center is! :lol:

I remember it and I remember how people loved it.

But those times had changed, it's going to be interesting on how they make this work. Bellaire is heavily used by Metro's customers heading to and from the medical center and to get to the "backbone" of Metro's two TC's on the route.

While I realize the stops are going to be further apart, but that makes me wonder how the people that don't leave near a SSS are going to be able to take advantage of the service. Perhaps take a bus to a SSS and then take it from there?

I was told a few years ago by someone at Metro that the 2 was the most heavily traveled bus route in the city, and at times, was actually operating at a small profit.

Based on my experience with local versus express buses on the same route in other cities, a lot of passengers who don't live near a stop on the express service will take the local service to the nearest express stop, and then transfer, provided the express bus runs often enough that doing this transfer will get them to their ultimate destination faster.

• 1 year later...

When I lived in DC they used to run two levels of service along Georgia Avenue and other routes. One was the local that would stop at EVERY stop along the route. The other was the express route that would stop only at major intersections. I thought it was great.

This sounds kind of like that.

Only two years behind schedule but it's better than nothing.

Speaking of Metro and it's quirks, it's been relayed to me that Frank Wilson is chauffered around in an armored BMW. It's from a pretty reliable source, but even I don't want to believe it's true. This is what he visits the bus operating facilities with? What a screw you to the drivers he's trying to screw over wage wise.

Only two years behind schedule but it's better than nothing.

Speaking of Metro and it's quirks, it's been relayed to me that Frank Wilson is chauffered around in an armored BMW. It's from a pretty reliable source, but even I don't want to believe it's true. This is what he visits the bus operating facilities with? What a screw you to the drivers he's trying to screw over wage wise.

Determine if it's true or not; if it is, I'm sure the press would like to know.

Whether Wilson is or is not, it doesn't seem necessary. An old, beat up truck with 18 MPG city is good enough to use to tour bus sites.

Edited by VicMan

You'd think someone who makes about $340,000 per year could afford to buy their own car instead of having the tax payer funded agency pay for it. Why is the head of a public transit agency even afforded a $1000 per month car allowance boggles the mind.

You'd think someone who makes about $340,000 per year could afford to buy their own car instead of having the tax payer funded agency pay for it. Why is the head of a public transit agency even afforded a $1000 per month car allowance boggles the mind.

What does the salary of Frank Wilson have to do with the startup of the Quickline? I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to start up your own thread and post all of your unfounded rumors about METRO and Wilson there.

What does the salary of Frank Wilson have to do with the startup of the Quickline? I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to start up your own thread and post all of your unfounded rumors about METRO and Wilson there.

You know, I thought about that, but why clutter the board with another sub 10 reply topic based upon an unfounded rumor? It can just go in here until I have more substantial evidence.

Or, here's a thought. . . you could keep it to yourself until you have any evidence at all.

I do have pretty reliable evidence. Just not any that would fly with your ilk. I'd have to take a picture to satisfy your lot and since I don't work at Metro like my source, I don't have that sort of access. Perhaps the next time Wilson visits that facility I'll have a picture taken. But Wilson riding around in an armored luxury vehicle would just be the cherry on top of the rancid ice cream Sundae that is the current Metro. Bad service, wasteful spending, numerous mechanical failures, unsanitary buses, apathetic or wholly unqualified employees, need I go on?

Now, let me ask you something Houston19???, do you even ride the local Metro service? I'm not talking the Park and Ride services (which can be no more than 2-5 minutes late lest heads roll) and are thoroughly researched, updated and catered to. I'm talking about your local bus routes like the 40, or the 56, routes of that nature. Is Metro your primary mode of transportation? Do you know numerous people within the organization as I do? Have you had an inner knowledge of the system pre and post Wilson? I do. I know the process of making routes, scheduling, and "costing." You do not, or, perhaps you do. You're either a very ignorant Metro supporter, or you work there. I'd hope the latter myself.

I'd wager that most people here who either critique or support Metro do not use Metro as a primary source of transportation or even have a basic knowledge of how it works. Perhaps it might suit you to actually use the system and see for yourself that it is approaching HouTran levels of reliability.

I'd wager that most people here who either critique or support Metro do not use Metro as a primary source of transportation or even have a basic knowledge of how it works. Perhaps it might suit you to actually use the system and see for yourself that it is approaching HouTran levels of reliability.

I stopped gathering information on Metro when I found out that riding it would add a half mile walk and another 66 minutes each way to my 5.5 mile commute. Oh, and I'd get to work 46 minutes late. Thanks to the HCTRA for letting me avoid that... :)

I stopped gathering information on Metro when I found out that riding it would add a half mile walk and another 66 minutes each way to my 5.5 mile commute. Oh, and I'd get to work 46 minutes late. Thanks to the HCTRA for letting me avoid that... :)

That's because the bus system is outdated and according to one of their service development managers, it can take up to five years for a basic route extension or added trip let alone the complete overhaul that is needed. It's crazy considering Park and Ride schedules are tweaked every few months to avoid passenger overloads. Meanwhile, buses on the 82 are overloaded due to it's 45 minute midday headways and there seems to be no relief in sight.

I do have pretty reliable evidence. Just not any that would fly with your ilk. I'd have to take a picture to satisfy your lot and since I don't work at Metro like my source, I don't have that sort of access.

In all fairness, I used to pass along information to the forum told to me by the executives at METRO years ago, when I first joined HAIF and was still working an aspect of real estate that deals with them pretty frequently. Bit by bit, their tips turned out to be bogus. Consequently, I'm actually more prone to take the word of someone outside of METRO and trying (typically with frustration) to deal with them than I am to trust anything that they tell me.

Show up to the next HAIF happy hour and I'll regail you with some METRO war stories.

I do have pretty reliable evidence. Just not any that would fly with your ilk. I'd have to take a picture to satisfy your lot and since I don't work at Metro like my source, I don't have that sort of access. Perhaps the next time Wilson visits that facility I'll have a picture taken. But Wilson riding around in an armored luxury vehicle would just be the cherry on top of the rancid ice cream Sundae that is the current Metro. Bad service, wasteful spending, numerous mechanical failures, unsanitary buses, apathetic or wholly unqualified employees, need I go on?

Now, let me ask you something Houston19???, do you even ride the local Metro service? I'm not talking the Park and Ride services (which can be no more than 2-5 minutes late lest heads roll) and are thoroughly researched, updated and catered to. I'm talking about your local bus routes like the 40, or the 56, routes of that nature. Is Metro your primary mode of transportation? Do you know numerous people within the organization as I do? Have you had an inner knowledge of the system pre and post Wilson? I do. I know the process of making routes, scheduling, and "costing." You do not, or, perhaps you do. You're either a very ignorant Metro supporter, or you work there. I'd hope the latter myself.

Royko, is that you?

Seriously, I'm a Metro rider. Sounds like you've got material for a new thread.

In all fairness, I used to pass along information to the forum told to me by the executives at METRO years ago, when I first joined HAIF and was still working an aspect of real estate that deals with them pretty frequently. Bit by bit, their tips turned out to be bogus. Consequently, I'm actually more prone to take the word of someone outside of METRO and trying (typically with frustration) to deal with them than I am to trust anything that they tell me.

Show up to the next HAIF happy hour and I'll regail you with some METRO war stories.

I'll most definitely try to make it. My source is normally pretty reliable but I even hope she is wrong on this one. An armored SUV with driver? I doubt even Wilson would be that brazen but who knows. It does make for interesting conversation.

Metro also needs to drop the President/CEO title that "Pimp my Resume" DeLibero created and go back to General Manager.

Royko, is that you?

Seriously, I'm a Metro rider. Sounds like you've got material for a new thread.

No, I'm not Royko. I actually use the bus service.

Getting back on the subject of signature service, I still wonder what Metro's justification is for pushing forward with the TMC-Palm QL after the Bellaire service rolls out. Out of all the proposed lines, this will most likely be the least used and is the least necessary as the 26/27 that runs along the same segment is no slouch when it comes to OST. I'm guessing it'll serve as a link to the SE Line from the TMC TC, but that's useless when the line hasn't even broken ground yet.

I've told you this before. Yes, I am a frequent bus rider. I have never seen an unsanitary bus or experienced notably bad service. No, I do not know numerous people in the organization, but that doesn't really seem to have served you very well and it certainly does not entitle you to make up "facts" or spread unfounded rumors. (Ask yourself this, how could your insider tell that it was an armored vehicle?)

BTW, J. Liggins, even you expressed a little doubt about your rumor in your exchange with Mary Sit on the Metro Blog... Odd that you would proceed with posting it here when you admit he might have been riding with someone else and that you hope it's not true. (and again, how do you or your supposed insider friend tell by sight that a car is armor-plated?)

Edited by Houston19514