Hartsfield Elementary School At 5001 Perry St.

Anjie0301

Hi! I was just wondering how old my elementary school (Hartsfield) was and I found this site.

http://www.houstonisd.org/HISDConnectDS/v/...00052147fa6RCRD

I was there from 1977 (pre K) until 1984 (5th grade). I grew up in the Palm Center area. My parents still live there. I'm 34 now and I can recall a little bit about how the area used to look. I found a thread devoted to the area and I really enjoyed it.

I'm new, so I did a search prior to posting this and found this awesome thread. It ties in very well.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...&hl=schools

Take care! <3

Anjie.

Hi! I was just wondering how old my elementary school (Hartsfield) was and I found this site.

That was an interesting website. Kudos to HISD for including that info and to you for posting it.

I'll do just the four high schools in the district in which I grew up and the elementary school I attended (went to a private junior high).

Aldine High - originally opened in 1936 at the corner of Aldine-Westfield and Aldine-Bender. First campus was officially known as Marrs High School, named for Starlin Marion Newberry Marrs, state superintendent of public instruction, who worked to improve rural education. Also unofficially called Aldine High after the unincorporated rural community in which it sat. Campus burned to the ground Thanksgiving Eve 1954. New campus built in 1956 on the site of the former Gulf Coast Airport on Airline Drive.

MacArthur High - opened in 1965 and named in honor of the WWII general Douglas MacArthur, who had died the year before.

Eisenhower High - opened in 1972 and named for the WWII general and former president Dwight Eisenhower.

Nimitz High - opened in 1978 and named for the WWII admiral Chester Nimitz.

Goodman Elementary - opened in 1964 as Hidden Valley Elementary after the surrounding neighborhood. Renamed Goodman Elementary in the late 1990s after Ralph Goodman, former band director at Aldine High and director of musical education in Aldine ISD.

What I am dying to find out is IF:

A person can still find out how to go back and either view or BUY an old class photo?

I spoke to a HISD admin once but he may not have been totally in the know. He said you would be extremely lucky to find the studio or photographer that would come to the schools and take photos of classmates and specific students.

I started elementary school in the late 60's and if memory serves well it was always optional for you (parents) to buy the photos. Of course now we dont realize how important it was to buy these when you had the chance. I clearly remeber taking group photos and now I cannot find any of me with pals, only when mom would come to school and take pictures of the kiddies did we end up with some. I want the good ones where everyone is together in a row.

If anyone can help please add info here!!! I will buy you a late of lasagna, I promise! :D

PS, whats really frustrating, is that this contact told me the studios would just destroy remaining (unbought) photos. Grrrrrrrrrr :angry:

What I am dying to find out is IF:

A person can still find out how to go back and either view or BUY an old class photo?

I spoke to a HISD admin once but he may not have been totally in the know. He said you would be extremely lucky to find the studio or photographer that would come to the schools and take photos of classmates and specific students.

I started elementary school in the late 60's and if memory serves well it was always optional for you (parents) to buy the photos. Of course now we dont realize how important it was to buy these when you had the chance. I clearly remeber taking group photos and now I cannot find any of me with pals, only when mom would come to school and take pictures of the kiddies did we end up with some. I want the good ones where everyone is together in a row.

If anyone can help please add info here!!! I will buy you a late of lasagna, I promise! :D

PS, whats really frustrating, is that this contact told me the studios would just destroy remaining (unbought) photos. Grrrrrrrrrr :angry:

I looked into finding a copy of my 1953 high school class picture taken by famed panoramic photographer, E. L. Goldbeck, and found this source

I don't think elementary school class pictures are available from here, but if anyone is looking for an old Texas high school class picture taken from 1946-1975, you might check this out

Edited by 57Tbird

I looked into finding a copy of my 1953 high school class picture taken by famed panoramic photographer, E. L. Goldbeck, and found this source

I don't think elementary school class pictures are available from here, but if anyone is looking for an old Texas high school class picture taken from 1946-1975, you might check this out

Please do - I'd love to see if they have one available for my dad's graduating class (Huntsville High School, class of 1948).

This is the person I communicated with about my class picture. You give her the info you mentioned above and, if they have it, she will give you the negative no. which you can put on the online order form. You can also have the form mailed or fax'd to you.

Linda Briscoe Myers, Assistant Curator of Photography, briscoe@mail.utexas.edu, 512-471-6281

Edited by 57Tbird

• 3 months later...

I was there from 1977 (pre K) until 1984 (5th grade). I grew up in the Palm Center area. My parents still live there. I'm 34 now and I can recall a little bit about how the area used to look. I found a thread devoted to the area and I really enjoyed it.

I'm new, so I did a search prior to posting this and found this awesome thread. It ties in very well.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...&hl=schools

I checked out the site, but it left out my old elementary, Montrose. It was torn down in the '70's and HSPVA (the art/drama magnet school) was built there, on the land bounded by Stanford, Sull Ross, Greely, and West Main. If you drive down Stanford from Richmond to Alabama and sort of squint, you can see the way it used to look. The school building couldn't be more different, but the trees and the surrounding houses are almost the same as 50 years ago. So, did anybody go to Montrose? I was there from l956 to 1963.

Take care! <3

Anjie.

• The title was changed to Houston School History
  • The title was changed to Hartsfield Elementary School At 5001 Perry St.