Who To Call To Install A Tall Hanging Ceiling Fan?

My wife and I are wanting to replace the hanging ceiling fan in our living room. It's one of those hanging 8ft or so down in a tall 2 story open living area. It's a little old fashioned (brass pole and fan), so we want to replace it all. Anyone know where to go to find both the fan and installation services? Seems like home depot/lowe's only have standard fans from what I see. I think a lift would be required (would this be safe on our hardwood floors?), as the ceiling seems too tall for a stepladder.

Any recommendations for an outfit would be great, I am in the Sugar Land area.

Thanks for any advice.

The only difference between a standard fan and what you need is the extension pole, which can be purchased separately. You could also reuse the one from the old fan. As for installing it, any electrician or handyman can do it, as there are only a couple of wires to connect, and the fan support is already there.

My old condo had a 20 foot ceiling, and I found a pretty cool 54" fan from Lowe's for about $200. That thing could really move some air when it got going.

We've got the same setup (down to the brass hardware) and are wondering the same thing. We're close to going the Lowe's/HomeDepot route, but I still wonder how they'll get up there... you have to be able to touch the 20' ceiling to replace the brass cap thingy that holds the extension at the ceiling - how one Earth will they get up there??? I'd be happy to pay $75 for someone else to do that... please post what you end up doing and how much it costs.

We've got the same setup (down to the brass hardware) and are wondering the same thing. We're close to going the Lowe's/HomeDepot route, but I still wonder how they'll get up there... you have to be able to touch the 20' ceiling to replace the brass cap thingy that holds the extension at the ceiling - how one Earth will they get up there??? I'd be happy to pay $75 for someone else to do that... please post what you end up doing and how much it costs.

the 75 price is the price for a standard ceiling...anything over 10' i know lowes and depot charge a higher price. i'd say i'd do it but when i saw you had a 20' ceiling...well i don't have the equipment.

Hmm, anyone know where to buy the pole? Definitely need a new one that is not brass/gold in color. Looked around HD last time I was there but couldn't find one. Guess I could have just missed it...

thanks for the replies.

Usually the downrod comes from the fan manufacturer. Last time I needed one it was a special order item.

As for the pole, for a ceiling fan of that length, I am sure you would have to go the special order route, or would you consider using the other pole and maybe spray painting it?

Also, I am not sure about all Home Depots, but the one near me has a 18 ft folding ladder you can rent that might work for you to get up there, but to transport it might be a chore unless you put it on top of a truck or something. Either way, post pictures on her if you decide to do so.

Good Luck and let us know what you do.

Hmm, anyone know where to buy the pole? Definitely need a new one that is not brass/gold in color. Looked around HD last time I was there but couldn't find one. Guess I could have just missed it...

We were looking at fans last weekend at Lowe's (The Woodlands) and the extension poles were in varying length and colors on an end-cap between the fans and light fixtures. There's various other fan-related items like remotes, chains, maybe some light kits or something in that same area. We bought a fan and 18" extension rod for the bedroom and the color matched up perfectly - I did open the fan box to check the color of the metals first, though.

We couldn't find anyone working that dept to ask our question about installation in the living area. I'll try harder next time.

We were looking at fans last weekend at Lowe's (The Woodlands) and the extension poles were in varying length and colors on an end-cap between the fans and light fixtures. There's various other fan-related items like remotes, chains, maybe some light kits or something in that same area. We bought a fan and 18" extension rod for the bedroom and the color matched up perfectly - I did open the fan box to check the color of the metals first, though.

We couldn't find anyone working that dept to ask our question about installation in the living area. I'll try harder next time.

Yep that's just where I found mine, antique bronze 72 in long was $54.28 out the door. I think it was the longest one.

Litex

72" Aged Bronze/ Weathered Bronze 3/4" Inner Diameter Downrod

Lowes Item #: 66773

Archived