Let's All Slow Down And Pay Attention!

tomv

Yesterday, a lady was killed when her car was hit from behind while she was waiting for her light to turn green. She was on the westbound I10 service road at Kirkwood getting ready to make a left turn in a turn only lane. A guy plowed into her attempting to go straight in the turn only lane, doing an estimated 70 mph.

I was at that exact spot making that same turn one hour earlier.

Over the weekend, a well known respected community leader and mother from Sugar Land was hit by a car and killed while she was out jogging or walking.

Nobody deserves to die in such a horrible way

Please, please let's all slow down and pay attention to what we're doing while behind the wheel. And remind others to do the same.

They do that at that light alllll the time.. I've had it happen to me where I had to slam on the breaks to a hault. Seen one wreck and this manuever about 4 times. I think the construction has to ding-dongs totally disoriented.

What a shame

Yes, what a shame a life was snuffed out simply because someone was preoccupied and not paying attention.

The reconstructed westbound feeder road there is now a whopping SEVEN lanes wide at the light, including a u-turn lane and a right turn only lane. Two lanes are coming right off the freeway itself. I'm sure the "speedway" effect prompts people to drive faster, but that's no excuse.

Slow down and pay attention! I've found that slowing down and not rushing everywhere pays off with a very nice fringe benefit: your own peace of mind is positively affected. Peace of mind is crucial.

It doesn't seem like this was caused by simply not paying attention. At 70mph on a feeder, going through a stoplight, that's reckless driving w/ no regard for anyone elses safety. If anyone should have died it should have been THAT person for being an idiot and selfish.

tomv, I don't know about you, but I was taught to look BOTH ways before crossing the street when I was 4 or 5 years old. It is almost instinctive and an automatic to most of us. Don't blame the driver, according to the police, the 17 yr. old kid had the green, he did nothing wrong.

tomv, I don't know about you, but I was taught to look BOTH ways before crossing the street when I was 4 or 5 years old. It is almost instinctive and an automatic to most of us. Don't blame the driver, according to the police, the 17 yr. old kid had the green, he did nothing wrong.

From tomv's initial post, I had the impression that they were both on the same road going the same way and that while the lady was trying to turn left, the other car came behind her on the left side, going straight instead of turning left, making their paths cross.

From tomv's initial post, I had the impression that they were both on the same road going the same way and that while the lady was trying to turn left, the other car came behind her on the left side, going straight instead of turning left, making their paths cross.

TJones is talking about a whole different incident.

Sorry for the confusion. It was two separate incidents. The Kirkwood one hit home because it's in my neighborhood. I really didn't know much about the Sugar Land accident. Apparently the jogger was at fault.

My point was just for everyone, including myself, to SLOW DOWN and PAY ATTENTION! Lives are at stake. A car accident is a

violent, horrible, senseless way to die.

Sorry for the confusion. It was two separate incidents. The Kirkwood one hit home because it's in my neighborhood. I really didn't know much about the Sugar Land accident. Apparently the jogger was at fault.

My point was just for everyone, including myself, to SLOW DOWN and PAY ATTENTION! Lives are at stake. A car accident is a

violent, horrible, senseless way to die.

Around the corner from us last afternoon, a neighbor ran over a two year old. It was a total accident. Somehow the 2 year old had gotten under his car while he was talking to the mother. Then he pulled forward..........

The child was amazingly ok. There were 4 helicopters swarm the area, just getting arial pictures of the street I guess. The firetruck and EMS were gone by there. They're like vultures.

Around the corner from us last afternoon, a neighbor ran over a two year old. It was a total accident. Somehow the 2 year old had gotten under his car while he was talking to the mother. Then he pulled forward..........

The child was amazingly ok. There were 4 helicopters swarm the area, just getting arial pictures of the street I guess. The firetruck and EMS were gone by there. They're like vultures.

Parents, PLEASE watch your kids! It's pretty lucky that this incident didn't end in death like so many I've seen on the news around here.

Archived